Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Whisky blending?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

anyone tried making their own blend…?

Currently Aldi are doing a bottle of grain whisky for a tenner that would act as the base, bit of this, drop of that, get it just the way you like it…

what could possibly go wrong?

sillysilly
    Free Member

I was invited on a blending class a while back, trying single malts from each region, understanding underlying flavours / smells etc and then mixing for fun with grain as the base.

Grain makes up a large % and for experimenting you can use miniatures from each region quite cheaply to sample / perfect your blend or get a group of friends to each bring a bottle from a different region to mix with your grain.

Islay for smoke / peat, lowlands for sweetness etc. Loads of guides online, great fun to be had, esp over a few hands of poker 🙂

Cougar

My second-hand experience is you start with a bottle of shit, add various other single malts to it, and you end up with two bottles of shit. The only way I’ve seen it work is purely by chance, by combining the dregs of the ends of bottles and getting lucky rather than staring with a ‘base’.

I’ve done it myself with homebrew wine, started out with a bottle of undrinkable “Basic Red” that a mate brewed, kept adding more and more bottles and ended up with a gallon of undrinkable wine. It was like trying to create palatable punch that already contained Malibu.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got several mates who do it very well at the distillaries they work at 😉 Knowing what you have very well is key.
    One of the mates now has a bar where he has a “blend” on offer which is basically him mixing something there. works very well but he does know what he is doing and not starting with 10 quid aldi as a starter

seosamh77
    Free Member

I reckon a blend of ten quid Aldi and bottle of grants would be winner! 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

If you get a bottle of Aldi and a bottle of Laphroaig, you first tip the Aldi down the sink and you end up with a nice bottle of whisky 😉

sillysilly
    Free Member

The grain is just the base / filler for blends, using Aldi version should be fine for starting out.

CountZero

If you get a bottle of Aldi and a bottle of Laphroaig, you first tip the Aldi down the sink and you end up with a nice bottle of whisky

😆

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Whisky blending?’ is closed to new replies.