Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Whisky and Scottish independence, question?
  • ski
    Free Member

As I sit here supping a nice Scottish Malt 😉 this question came to mind….

If Scotland do manage to gain independence, what will happen to the price of Scottish Whisky and its production?

scotroutes

I don’t see any reason why there would be an impact on either. The vast majority of what you pay is actually alcohol duty and exports/imports would carry on simply enough as iScotland and rUK would (presumably) both be members of the EU.

Spud

Hopefully be duty free, seeing as no one has given us the honest advice about whether an independent Scotland would gain EU membership through Grandfather rights or have to apply.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I would suggest that you hedge your risk and buy plenty of bottles in advance 😉

Trekster

Salmond & co or whoever is in Gov will need to raise taxes 💡 to pay for the new civil service needed to run his Empire 👿

marthall
    Free Member

As an Englishman with 3 casks held in Scottish distilleries… I hope nothing.

Then again we can take the nuclear subs down the Clyde, submerge off Arran and then threaten invasion… subjugate the populace and steal the whisky… It’ll be like old times 😉

CountZero

‘Likes’ marthall’s take. 😀

footflaps

As a non-separatist, I will only be drinking Irish whisky if the vote yes 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ahem, the Irish don’t make whisky.

footflaps

Ok, whiskey….

franksinatra

I met a whisky scientist at a dinner party thing on New Year’s Eve. Fascinating guy who was really passionate about his job. He reckons that 27% of all duty raised on uk food and drink export is from whisky export alone. Not sure what that equates to in real cash but still a very impressive figure.

He also told me that 90% of all whiskey is sold to make blends. Single malt is still only a niche part of the industry (but rapidly growing, especially in export to china)

franksinatra

I should add that that probably does nothing to answer the OP question but there you are.

gordimhor

As a non-separatist, I will only be drinking Irish whisky if the vote yes 
    Why foot flaps ? Don’t be so hard on yourself, no need to lose out twice 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

Hopefully be duty free, seeing as no one has given us the honest advice about whether an independent Scotland would gain EU membership through Grandfather rights or have to apply.

I wonder why everyone assumes the rump of the UK would automatically retain EU membership if Scotland goes. After all, it wouldn’t be the same state that signed the treaty, would it?

ski
    Free Member

franksinatra – Member

I met a whisky scientist at a dinner party thing on New Year’s Eve. Fascinating guy who was really passionate about his job. He reckons that 27% of all duty raised on uk food and drink export is from whisky export alone. Not sure what that equates to in real cash but still a very impressive figure.

He also told me that 90% of all whiskey is sold to make blends. Single malt is still only a niche part of the industry (but rapidly growing, especially in export to china)

Interesting info franksinatra,

Some Whiskys over the last ten years have seen some astonishing price increases since bottling, just wondering how long before this bubble bursts?

athgray
    Free Member

You could argue that johnners, however a counter argument could be that if the indy vote affects rUK that much then they should be entitled to vote next year also.

On whisky I don’t see much will happen. Possibly a slight increase. There was a program about it recently. Posibility of tax on the water used. Whisky is considered a premium product, and I don’t think we are at the point where the price is such that it is putting people off. I reckon the market may be strong enough to take a pound or two increase yet.

oldnpastit

On whisky I don’t see much will happen. Possibly a slight increase. There was a program about it recently. Posibility of tax on the water used. Whisky is considered a premium product, and I don’t think we are at the point where the price is such that it is putting people off. I reckon the market may be strong enough to take a pound or two increase yet.

Surely with Scotland out of the EU, the limits described here will apply:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm

So you can come back from a Scotland with 1 litre of whisky. Any more than that and you will need to declare it at the border and pay duty on it.

Northwind

johnners – Member

I wonder why everyone assumes the rump of the UK would automatically retain EU membership if Scotland goes. After all, it wouldn’t be the same state that signed the treaty, would it?

It does seem the most reasonable position, though- Scotland is leaving the UK not dissolving it. Though the assumption that the diminished UK would have the same status and position in the EU does seem unconvincing.

scotroutes

Surely with Englandanwales out of the EU, the limits described here will apply:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm

So you can come back from a Scotland with 1 litre of whisky. Any more than that and you will need to declare it at the border and pay duty on it.

FTFY

khani
    Free Member

Will Buckfast get more expensive when it’s an import?

scotroutes

Imported from Devon?

khani
    Free Member

Well more imported from another country after the split,
    so yes, Devon…

scotroutes

I guess it would depend whether or not it would be more cost-effective to produce it locally under license.

oldnpastit

So smuggling will once again be rife in the borders, with excise men patrolling the MTB centre at Newcastleton watching for cyclists nipping over the border with camelbaks filled with illegal whisky.

onehundredthidiot

I’ll do that job. Just need a booth at the border toll. Job done.

Damn phone won’t allow me to post a photo of the bloodybush toll.

scotroutes

How much Glenfiddich do you think I could fit into a fatbike tyre?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Whisky and Scottish independence, question?’ is closed to new replies.