Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Whisky advice (again)
  • holmes81
    Free Member

Ok. I admit it, I’ve been seduced by the idea of enjoying whisky.

I dipped my toe with a Glenmorangie at a local Weatherspoons.
    Poured into a brandy glass.
    Nothing magic and a let down perhaps because I was with a mate and we we chatting.
    So thought that the whole tasting experience was a load of rubbish.

So I was given a snifter off Aerlour from a colleague. I sampled a it at home and was blown
    Away. It’s amazing how a drink can proved a nose, taste and finish which are all different but
    Share common traits. So let’s say I’m now a convert.

I have a couple of miniatures to sample and was told that you need to be careful regarding
    Which whisky to drink before the next.

So. I have the following:

Amber lour 10 year old
    Glenfiddich 12 year old
    Balvenie Double Wood

So what order would Stw suggest for those 3. Or would it be better to split each over a different night.

Ta.

dannybgoode

I would say much more important to cleanse the pallet between each drink with ice cold spring water.

It is also worth experimenting adding a couple of drops of spring water to each one and try with and without. Some whiskies are brought to life by a (very) small amount of water. Can really bring the pepper out.

Also, try to keep the whisky on the tongue for the same number of seconds as there is % alcohol to really let the flavour out.

Finally add a wild card to your list – the John Paul Brilliance. An Indian single malt that is firey as all hell at first then is smokey as an Aussies BBQ.

holmes81
    Free Member

That’s a good point. I’ll give that a go cheers.

bignoise
    Free Member

Balvenie Doublewood is lovely
    Aberlour 10 yr old is a close 2nd
    Glenfiddich is gash compared to the other 2

coconut
    Free Member

Aberlour is my favourite whisky by miles. Will get shot for this but… try with an ice cube or two 8) (apparently it was an inforce EU rule by the way)

dannybgoode

Nothing wrong with a single ice cube if the whisky benefits from a drop of water (see notes above). Never two though.

Water is only to bring flavour out, never to dilute.

adscatt
    Free Member

Balvenie is lovely, I generally stick to one per night if I’ve got a few miniatures. I have been known to put a couple of splashes of boiled water in, really releases the aromas, drink neat, with ice or water, just enjoy. You’ll find some are nice to have the odd one others you can drink glass after glass (these are the dangerous ones). 10 year old jura is nice and easy, I also like monkey shoulder blended, never really taken to peaty ones. Welcome and enjoy…….responsibly of course.

coconut
    Free Member

Yeah Jura Superstition is a nice mellow whisky to start on. Love Highland Park 10yr.

coconut
    Free Member

Welcome and enjoy beating your wife…….responsibly of course

Stange thing to write..

jonm81

I used to like a bit of Dimple 15 year old when I used to drink. Single speed and now a whiskey connoisseur; you’re turning into a proper hipster.

duir
    Free Member

A fantastic whisky that is high street available and often on sale is Glenlivet 15 year old French Oak Reserve. Similar price to Balvenie and Glenfiddich when on offer but in a different league.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Lagavulin or Bowmore for smokey Islay goodness. I go against the grain and mix with coke or ginger beer 😛

holmes81
    Free Member

Ok so I shall not be doing that again. At the moment my novice palate could not really distinguish major differences.

I think that less is more and will stick to one mat per sitting, as the three in one evening were OK.

All good fun though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Whisky advice (again)’ is closed to new replies.