Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Whinlatter trail centre and alternatives please
  • vondally
    Free Member

Looking at going to whinlatter trail centre, this Sunday with some of SO friends from sports club, all can get round blue and most red routes, would whinlatter be a good choice?

And any good natural trails that can afford are a wide variety of riders, so not high street or Helvellyn……ambleside ? Loughrig fell?

Cheers

Gotama
    Free Member

Whinlatter red is very mild in trail centre terms (I happily rode it on the cx bike) but probably good for a mixed ability group and is quite good fun.

Interested in comments on natural stuff for the next time we visit Keswick though.

mrhoppy

I liked the red as did Mrs hoppy. I’d say the north loop is a touch easier than the south and better ‘vfm’ in terms of descent for climbing. We did the blue afterwards and felt it was a bit meh and we’d have been better off with redoing part of the red.

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks they have all ridden gisburn red and with a variety of that was good to ohhh that was challenging…is it possible to do the loops and then add something else in later?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I just had a ride around there a couple of days ago, it’s really good fun, especially the downs on the North loop. Ideal for a mixed group I’d say. The only extra track I’ve been on there is the bridleway down to the pub at Braithwaite 😀 I keep intending to check out some of the extra tracks on the strava heatmap but haven’t got around to it yet.

The blue track has some good bits and is worth adding in to pad the mileage out a bit. It fits in best if you do North loop, blue loop, South loop.

I also noticed they’ve sanitised the lower part of the South descent, not for the better at all.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Natural trails? … how about something that incorporates The Old Coach Road or somewhere round the Back of Skiddaw

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Bash, back o’skiddaw (shortened route), descent off lattrigg is good (in a easy double track but fun if you rag it kind of way – might be busy sunday though). Just in Keswick area or looking further afield?

vondally
    Free Member

Keswick early doors so reasonable able to travel somewhere and then head back………they do like like a large and leasuirely afternoon tea to be honest……so need to incorporate

ayupwesty
    Free Member

Went twice last year,second time with a few who had not done a trail centre before.
    All got around fine and had fun.
    Well worth a trip

failedengineer

Start from Thornthwaite and go up the bridleway to the visitor centre? Steep climb, nice descent coming back down. Set off back down the blue and peel off at the fireroad to get back to the bridleway – you’ll see what I mean.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Stay local then, waste of time loading up and faffage x2.

Get up Honister or even Skiddaw itself if you wnat that big hill feel.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Whinlatter trail centre and alternatives please’ is closed to new replies.