Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Whinlatter or Dalby over Easter , campsitetrackworld
  • stevedoc
    Free Member

Has anyone got any suggestions of somewhere decent to camp near Whinlatter or Dalby ,fancy chucking the tent in the car and bikes on the roof and having a few days with my eldest leaving mummy and daughter at home for a girly weekend

Just need the weather now ..dusty and sunny please

ianfitz
    Free Member

Speak to Gareth the farmer at lane foot farm. Half a mile north of Braithwaite. (Just under whinlatter)

A great campsite, tiny shop, five minute walk to a good pub…

simonside
    Free Member

Not wishing to spoil things…..A trailcentre, on a Bank holiday weekend,what could go wrong?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Never Dalby and Whinlatter is good so Whinlatter.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Im off work that week ,so my thinking is now ,go on the Bank holiday Monday and stay till Thursday morning , works as the wife has family not to far off in Egremont so she can go there and I will hit the Whinlatter trails ,when everyones back at work 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

So what are you going to do after the first morning while you are there? 😛

Lucas
    Free Member

Bank holiday at Whinlatter won’t make much difference if you stay/park at the bottom (Braithwaite) and ride up the bridleway. its the car park that gets busy (and that’s massive now anyway). Starting from Braithwaite means you get a decent enjoyable (I enjoy it!) climb to the top of the north loop. Its pretty much 6 miles of off road climbing, which is all rideable, then a good downhill, then shorter climb to top of south loop then all downhill home.

stevedoc
    Free Member

6 mile climb , the lad wont like that , time to dig his big boy pants out and man the F up ,as for other things to do .. local pubs ,eat and get fresh air away from Manchester

jekkyl

iiwy I’d have a drive up to whinlatter just to have a look at the hill you’ll be attempting before cycling up it. If you do you’ll not be starting the loop the most freshest. If it were me I’d sacrfice cycling up there in time and effort to do another of the loops again. But has already been said, both loops at whinlatter will take less than half a day.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

The blue trail at Whinlatter is decent as well, pad the ride out by doing it in between the north and south loops.

boxelder

The Wheatsheaf Inn, Lorton is the other side of Whinlatter Pass from Keswick. Quieter, great food and beer and can still ride up into Whinlatter, with other quiet trail options in Lorton Vale.

EDIT – Check trail closures – Quercus (blue) is shut by logging just now

stevedoc
    Free Member

Cheers for the info , tbh its just somewhere to go different ,no messing ,chuck the tent down and get away from it all for a few days , I spoke to Gareth today at Lanefoot , I think were going BH Monday for a few nights ,fingers crossed we get some dusty sunshine

boxelder

Have a go on the Keswick BMX pump track too – my lad loves it.

ianfitz
    Free Member

There’s some really, really good natural riding not so far away too. The skiddaw loop is a steady outing in awesome scenery. One short, slightly exposed section a couple of after skiddaw house yha (going clockwise) but aside from that is a good ride (if blue trail centres are doable for your party you’ll be fine)

Also some excellent cheeky routes. But you’ll have to find those yourself

I may well be at lane foot over the bank holiday weekend. Helping Nicky with her record attempt. Ask Gareth for an explanation 😉

stevedoc
    Free Member

Cheers Ian , I will enquire

duir
    Free Member

Whinlatter? Hope you have plenty of spare green queens for that one, parking is over £5 for 4 hrs and all the cheeky free car parks just down the road are being done over by the forestry.

boxelder

Is 5quid excessive for use of trails, toilets, and secure parking?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Whinlatter or Dalby over Easter , campsitetrackworld’ is closed to new replies.