Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Whinlatter Challenge – Have I got the wrong end of the stick?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’ve done a few road sportives (well, 2 if I’m honest) and a few longish mountain bike rides, but nothing particularly fast. I entered the rescheduled WC this weekend on the assumption that there would be a few really fast guys disappearing into the distance followed by a big snake of punters making up the numbers and having a fun time pushing themselves and trying to go faster than usual, but not there to win it.

But reading the bumph seems to suggest I’ve screwed up and entered a race. It starts at around 11 and they encourage people to be at the prizegiving at 2pm if possible. Which appears to give around 3 or 3.5 hours to do the actual route unless I’m much mistaken.

will I die (of humiliation?)

Pridds

No in the same boat myself. Just going to go along and enjoy myself.

jwt
    Free Member

Thought you were a racing snake these days Pridds?

Pridds

Not likely Jono

willjones
    Free Member

there would be a few really fast guys disappearing into the distance followed by a big snake of punters making up the numbers and having a fun time pushing themselves and trying to go faster than usual, but not there to win it

That’s about right.

d45yth
    Free Member

At all the previous Whinlatter Challenges there would always be a massive bottleneck after the first fireroad climb. I think this year there’s two starting times, the first one being for those who managed to do it in less than a certain time in the past. If you’re in the second group most of the other riders will probably have the same mindset as you, those who haven’t will be off like a shot from the start…don’t bother about anyone else, just go along and as long as you enjoy it that’s the main thing. 😀

big_n_daft
    Free Member

But reading the bumph seems to suggest I’ve screwed up and entered a race. It starts at around 11 and they encourage people to be at the prizegiving at 2pm if possible. Which appears to give around 3 or 3.5 hours to do the actual route unless I’m much mistaken

It can’t be a race it crosses a bridleway

Sancho
    Free Member

It’s a challenge with prizes for those who challenge themselves the most, and finish the challenge in the least possible time, so not a race.
    though last year Neal got round so fast the marshall didnt realise he had completed the course so sent him out on another lap lol.

bigyinn
    Free Member

How is that a problem, “crossing a bridleway” is not the same as “on a brdileway”?

Sancho
    Free Member

“encourage people to be at the prizegiving at 2pm if possible”

it takes about an hour to get washed and changed 😉

pypdjl
    Free Member

“crossing a bridleway” is not the same as “on a brdileway”?

You’d have to bunny-hop over it…

big_n_daft
    Free Member

How is that a problem, “crossing a bridleway” is not the same as “on a brdileway”?

to cross you have to go “on” so it’s illegal

You’d have to bunny-hop over it…

apparently that doesn’t work either, at the Commonwealth Games they proposed bridges to cross the bridleways but they didn’t get the green light

It’s a challenge with prizes for those who challenge themselves the most, and finish the challenge in the least possible time, so not a race.

I really doubt it as there will be plenty working harder than the winner finishing a lot slower than him

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Whinlatter Challenge – Have I got the wrong end of the stick?’ is closed to new replies.