Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 139 total)
  • Whinlatter challenge ……
  • andrewh
    Free Member

That road in the background looks clear John, and hardly a major road either.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Cyclewise at Whinlatter have just tweeted that the demo day there has been cancelled due to snowdrifts at the top of the pass. They are currently not sure if the Challenge has been cancelled yet.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Whinlatter/forecasts/102

At least we’ll be in the trees to stay out of this -7 wind chill

butcher

That road in the background looks clear John, and hardly a major road either.

I think the real problem is the wind. I’m t’other side of the country to the lakes so can’t really comment on them, but it hasn’t snowed for days here and yet it is still drifting across the most exposed roads because it’s blowing from elsewhere.

For anyone who is travelling, take care. It’s easy to get settled into a false sense of security when conditions are perfectly clear and dry, only to be met with 6″ of snow on the road when you come round a bend.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

[IMG]http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq85/poorlybottoms/388507_10151566133360320_1513027151_n.jpg[/IMG]

A picture from the GOPRO reps van about 40mins ago, picture is taken on the Keswick side.. 😕

breadcrumb

It’s nearly there, it’s managed all the steep bits!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

But that car park enterance on the left is one of the ones the organisers have said to use instead of the original fire road.

It looks like no ones been up it yet.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi here are a couple of pics taken at 12:00 from the Lorton side of the pass. There is snow drifting across the road on the tight bends after the bridge. I would say pretty difficult in anything without 4 wheel drive.

boxelder

You’ll all be reet – get on wi it.

John – read the rules – max tyre width 2.5″

JamesD
    Free Member

From @SIP_Events_UK twitter feed:
    Course recce and ride for WMBC – 98% rideable, 100% fun! Having lots of laughs in the snow drifts

GaVgAs
    Free Member

just seen this posted on the fb page

“Right, a decision has been made by the WMBC organisers – tomorrow’s event IS CANCELLED. The organisers tell us that, because of the adverse weather, they can’t put their evacuation procedures in place. The event will be rescheduled – please see the official WMBC for further updates and info”…

gasyz
    Free Member

Good call

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

That last pic of the road is what I couldn’t get up yesterday. That was the only bit of the road that really had any significant drifts, the rest was pretty much clear.

At the top where the road goes left is where the car went off and is sat upside down against a tree with it’s roof caved in.

d45yth
    Free Member

gasyz – Member

Good call
    +1, I think those who think it should still go ahead should stopping thinking about what they would do and consider everyone else.

neninja
    Free Member

Just phoned a friend who’d booked to do it to tell him. He was already on the train on the way to his brothers in Carlisle. He seemed surprisingly philosophical about it.

Bolt

From the Sip website

WhinlatterC With regret, we are postponing WMBC to 21st April on the advice of the Police and Emergency Services. Please RT.

Bolt

andrewh
    Free Member

A bit of an over-reaction imo,I’m most of the way there already,headed up from South Lincs so not a short journey either,and it’s been fine.
    I’m not going to critisise the organisers,no doubt they have more info than the rest of us, but it does stike me me as H&S going over the top again, bit of snow down south and the media goes mad. I’m sure we could all park in Keswick and ride the last bit.
    but hey he, longer to train for it I suppose.

d45yth
    Free Member

but it does stike me me as H&S going over the top again

??? Have you seen the road up to Whinlatter? There’s always accidents at events, probably a lot more in these conditions…would you be happy for someone to get injured and then them not be able to be rescued or taken to hospital as easily as normal? 🙄
    How many people out of the 650+ that had entered would normally ride in these conditions? Don’t think too many people would have been happy standing about in it all day either.

I’m sure we could all park in Keswick

Really? A few hundred cars at the very least? Where at? And then bike up to Whinlatter, all organised at a moments notice…get real.

BenjiM

I wish they’d called it earlier to give folk a chance to cancel hotels and not spend a fortune on fuel bit hey ho. We’ll make the most of it. Glad I brought the baby carrier! One things for certain I won’t be bothering with a hotel for the rearranged ride.

Drac

If you were responsible for 650+ riders and the weather had turned nasty would really run it when Police and Ambulance have advised not to or just wait a few more weeks?

anc
    Free Member

+1 D45yth.. absolutely spot on. The organisers have a responsablity of care.. the pass is dangerous in these conditions. They’ve made the right decision.

d45yth
    Free Member

I wish they’d called it earlier to give folk a chance to cancel hotels and not spend a fortune on fuel

Too true. I was supposed to be doing something at Whinlatter last friday but it was cancelled…that decision had more to do with the high winds rather than any snow. Anyone who rides the trails up there (or in any forest) will realise the danger trees of coming down on the trail.

crazy-legs

A bit of an over-reaction imo,I’m most of the way there already,headed up from South Lincs so not a short journey either,and it’s been fine.

For one or two riders, a small group ride then maybe.

When there are hundreds of riders potentially travelling from across the UK, no way. The organisers are acting on the advice of the emergency services who are already stretched to the limit without needing to get ambulances/helicopters etc up to a forest simply cos hundreds of MTBers want to ride round it.

It’s just a bike ride. It can happen anytime. Just have a good weekend while you’re up there but do something else.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

****, and now to unpack the car.

Also to try for a refund as I’m away on the 21st April.

v12jat
    Free Member

****, and now to unpack the car.
    Also to try for a refund as I’m away on the 21st April.

Yup, me too!I’m assuming a refund won’t be an issue??

bones76
    Free Member

Do they have to offer a refund? Im assuming they will do as not everyone will be able to make the new date in April..I think i should be able to make it

landofgiants
    Free Member

Good call. Bit of a late one for anyone travelling from further afield and doing an overnight, but the organisers arnt responsible for the weather. The sheer volume of cars trying to jockey up and down the hill to Whinlatter would have been the biggest problem. A snow covered trail is not the issue, snow covered roads are. Looking forward to doing it in better weather next month.

edd

I’m in Cockermouth with my bike this weekend. Anyone fancy a ride?

Edd

bones76
    Free Member

Hi Edd I am also in Cockermouth and am sat here debating if i should ride tomorrow?! What you thinking of doing and what time?

Steve

edd

Can do any time, I’m stuck here for work (but not working on Sunday), but I don’t know any local trails. I was hoping someone could guide me.

breadcrumb

Oh well, looks like I’ll have a consolation curry tonight.

Fair call by the organisers if we can’t actually get to the start. I was looking forward to the extra challenge too.

bones76
    Free Member

OK just a couple of questions

1) How far you want to go?
    2) Am guessing the Snow don’t bother you either?
    3) Am assuming you have all the right gear for the conditions?
    4) Are you super fit? lol

edd

1) Willing to fit it with your/ anyone else’s plans.
    2) Snow bother.
    3) Yes.
    4) Fit enough that I shouldn’t be holding anyone up but willing to go at whatever pace suits.

I ought to add that I have a 4×4 hire car so can travel.

Edd

bones76
    Free Member

Right after giving it some thought I’m up for riding in the morning, not sure where yet but i’ll come up with something and i may even try and get a few more out too.

edd

Sounds good to me and the more the better. By the way my e-mail is:

e-mail by eddkh, on Flickr
    I can e-mail you my number.

Edd

bones76
    Free Member

Will be in touch soon to your Email with my number etc

edd

Thanks Steve.

BenjiM

Anyone staying in the shepherds in cockermouth? In thebar at the moment

bones76
    Free Member

Edd i am just about to send you the Email with my number/

Anyone else who may read this and is in the area(Cockermouth) then we are meeting at the bike shop( 4play cycles) in Market place 9.30am should anyone want to join us, not sure where we are going yet but will decide in the morning

karnali
    Free Member

Have a good ride steve, edd I hope ur fit should be a good day for it

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘Whinlatter challenge ……’ is closed to new replies.