• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by TomB.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Whinlatter; anywhere for little kids to ride?
  • Zaskar93
    Free Member

Hi

Family holiday in Cumbria next week. Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere little kids (7 and 5 and not too good on a bike yet) can ride at Whinlatter whilst I sod off into the forest for a bit (my wife will be with them, I’m not just dumping them, well not at the moment anyway!)

Any help appreciated. Ta.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Theres a short section of flat red trail opposite the visitors centre,(other side of the road)Its flat and wide enough to allow the kids to ride,although it allows usage in both directions so be carefull,Its probably best to go out and back again,although you could come back up the road to make it a loop,just keep left on the above trail.

also theres a short bit of a skills area, just above the red/blue trail head start,up the forest track a bit on your right.

have a great holiday.. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The blue should be good for Kids see plenty of 5+’s on it, Cyclewise do Family skills courses – worth a look
    Clicky Here

redthunder
    Free Member

The Quirky trail is great fun for all.

ampthill

At least part of the blue maybe possible

Its not a bad spot for kids. Good Cafe, bird feeders, lots of good kids play stuff, marked walks of all lengths

If the blues no good I’m sure there must be an access road loop

parkedtiger
    Free Member

There’s a fantastic new kids play area just been completed – they’ll easily lose a couple of hours in there.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

How old do you have to be to try out the ‘Go Ape’ stuff?

Zaskar93
    Free Member

Thanks for that, it’s all gold.

grum
    Free Member

I dunno how good a 5 year old is at biking but there are bits of the blue they would probably love and other bits that might be a bit much imo – it’s really good fun though imo so you could try riding a bit of it with ’em.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

+1 for the kids play area. Loads of new things there, good quality German activity stuff! The bike riding I expect is a little hilly for small legs. If you want a ride with all the family why not ride the old railway line at Keswick I would start at the Threlkeld end (taking care near main road) and head towards Keswick. There a few bridges over the river and a tunnel! Some places for picnics / snacks even a shelter thingy if its raining. Its all prety much on the flat from that end. You could always spin up and around the Blencathra / Skiddaw loop after!

grum
    Free Member

Good shout on the old railway line, it’s very scenic.

Trekster

NorthCountryBoy – Member
    +1 for the kids play area.

+1 again for the new play area. Had the grandkids there over Easter and they loved it.
    Think the blue might be a bit tough for little `uns and for the missus if she has to carry bikes back up the hill again + the fact if there are some experienced riders hooning about it could be a bit dangerous for both parties 🙄

+1 again for the Threlkeld to Keswick ride.
    You could drop missus and kids off in Threlkeld, drive back into Keswick.Park somewhere along the swimming pool access road for free and bike the opposite way, carry on and do the Threlkeld, Blencartha, Glenderterra, Latrigg route back into Keswick 😆 For a bit of extra fun add on a ride up to Skiddaw YHA, turn around and come back down again 😀

PTR
    Free Member

I did the blue with our 5 year old a month or two back. He’s a good rider, but it was too much, he crashed twice. He insisted on carrying on, but walked most of it. He would have been better on the railway path.

TomB

From the Revelin Moss car park across the road there is a gently undulating 1 mile walk (white waymarkers I think) which is a loop, all on forest road so while not strictly bike trail, would be eminently suitable as a ride for the little ones (my 3 year old does it on his rothan). Follows a stream valley under grisedale pike, quite scenic.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Whinlatter; anywhere for little kids to ride?’ is closed to new replies.