Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Whinlatter and Grizedale in a day?
  • ourkidsam
    Free Member

Easily doable, feasable or a bit much?

Any experiences/recommendations? I’ll be staying with a friends near Chorley the night before then heading up (about 1.5 hours?)

Baldysquirt

Why would you bother with either when you’ve got so much great, well drained natural stuff in the area. They’re also both quite far apart. If I had to do one, I’d choose Grizedale as a way of climbing up to parkamoor in a route including claife heights etc.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Borrowdale Bash in the morning, ending at the Swinside for lunch – Whinlatter in the afternoon.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

in fact why not just tarmac the rest of the Lakes ?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Baldy – I don’t know the area at all – any suggestions?

pt – Borrowdale Bash, is that a route?

sfb – eh?

james
    Free Member

Yes its quite do-able

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sfb – eh?

to make it easier for the waymark-dependant to find their way to something they can ride

Borrowdale Bash, is that a route?

not really, you’d need a map and such 🙁

neil853
    Free Member

yeah thats right tarmac the lakes? 🙄 another person who ignores some form of riding, trail centres aren’t the be all and end all but off some variety, plus if he doen’t know the area and is on his own (they’ll always be people at trail centres) they are the best bet.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

another person who ignores some form of riding

Not exactly – I’ve enjoyed riding both places – but if you’re going to the Lakes it seems a huge waste to ride tame stuff when there are such wonders to see 🙁

neil853
    Free Member

but if your on your own and you don’t know the area?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Borrowdale Bash:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=1208

Stop at the Swinside (left about a mile after the end of Catbells) or head over to Braithwaite for a pub lunch then you can ride up to Whinlatter via the Bridleway at Thornthwaite (it’s signposted as part of the C2C route so you can’t miss it).

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Borrowadale Bash is probably the equivelant of riding Whinlatter and Grizedale in a day anyhow. I know it isnt with regards to length but in terms of what it gives you in riding mix and effort i wouldnt say there is much in it. Add the whinlatter trail in and you have quite a big days riding imo.

Latrigg loop Plus BB is a good days riding in a figure 8 way but i appreciate the OP isnt sounding too up for navigation.

franki
    Free Member

I did the Borrowdale Bash and a loop taking in Blencathra and Skiddaw on my own on my first visit to the Lakes.
    Navigation with the O.S. map was as simple as anywhere I’ve ridden.

I’d like to check out the man-made trails too, but proper mountains are the order of the day up there. It’s a long drive for a lot of people and there are forestry trails all over the country.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I’m not getting in to the Trail Centre v ‘Natural’ trails argument on this thread – it’s been done. For the record, I ride both. On this occasion it’ll be me and a mate, who has less experience than I do, and I’d rather not be navigating. I can, just choosing not to.

Cheers for the info though the last three posters

franki
    Free Member

When I stayed at Keswick we walked in Whinlatter Forest, but the bike trails weren’t built then. There’s a reasonable amount of height there, so bags of potential I’d say. I’ll have to see. Definitely on the agenda next trip up.

traildog
    Free Member

I’m completely confused. Grizedale and Whinlatter are a long way away and riding between them in a day will be mainly tarmac. Driving between them in a day is a day in the car with hardly any biking in between. Especially if you are coming from Chorley first and want to get back there at night. That’s a mad, daft plan.

Drive up and park somewhere in the south lakes. The north lakes from Chorley is a bit of a trek. You can get maps from Biketreks, Wheelbase or if you must do a set way marked trail then go to Grizedale.
    If you chose to ride TNF trail, you can do additional exploring of bridleways without a map as you can always easily pick up one of the family routes or the road and they are all signposted to the visitors centre.

You don’t need to know the area. Before trail centres, people used to purchase OS maps and just follow the bridleways. It’s even easier now they’re all signposted clearly. You don’t even need a map in some areas, just a sense of direction.

traildog
    Free Member

Right, I see what you’re saying. Don’t drive between them, that’s just stupid. Park either at Grizedale, Ambleside, or Stavely. Plenty of good rides in these areas, suitable for beginners, plus helpful bike shops to point you in the right direction.
    I live in Chorley and almost never go to Keswick in a day – it’s a long trip and you are just wasting riding time sitting in a car.

thefallguy
    Free Member

why not just pinch a route off sfb! lots to choose from on the bogtrotters site 😀
    borrowdale bash is good but I prefer ambleside/elterwater/little langdale/iron keld/loughrigg loop as there is less road work.
    IMO Whinlatter is good for 2 or 3 hrs in the late afternoon rather than a day out

boxelder

Up the M6 to Penrith and then 25 minutes to Keswick – hardly a day in the car. It’s an hours drive from Whinlatter to Grizedale. At tourist pace there’s 4-5 hours of riding on both trails combined, so driving/riding ration not so good. The choose one and ride other trails in the area is definately the best plan. Both ares are equally good – Grizedale better in dodgy weather.

stufield
    Free Member

Or ride somewhere like the garburn pass and then a ride around ambleside, nice cafe in between, quick look around biketreks. Pub to finish.

Much better day out, routes are well trodden so no sheep track in the mist type navigating. The choice of a decent lunch (if you want one), not sure if Grizedale visitor centre is still being finished, but you’re limited for choice there and whinlatter is worse.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but if your on your own and you don’t know the area?

I never ride alone – and if I were to go alone to some other area I’d hook up with some locals 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

why not just pinch a route off sfb! lots to choose from on the bogtrotters site

you can hardly pinch them when I’m giving them away 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Whinlatter and Grizedale in a day?’ is closed to new replies.