Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Whinlatter?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Is it any good as trail centres go? We’re up in the Lakes for a few days at the start of March, planning on natural stuff around Grizedale and either Walna Scar or Borrowdale Bash, but thought it might be a good option to mix things up a bit.

boltonjon

Whinlatter is very good – i’d say one of the best in the country

There are 3 great loops, all with some nice technical downhill sections

the cafe is also very good 🙂

d45yth
    Free Member

It’s very good as far as trail centres go, maybe pencil it in if the weather’s bad? Saying that the Bash is good in bad weather too. I’d skip Walna Scar…the descent isn’t what it was and the bit earlier on, Stephenson Ground and around there, has been unbelievably wet for ages. Grizedale’s all good though.

Edit: Now then Jon! 😉

GEDA
    Free Member

If it is one of the best in the country I would hate to ride in the others. Climbs are quite good but the downhills are not that great, I just found them a bit dull and characterless. Would rather seek out some more bridleway stuff. Scarth gap, Black sail, Styhead, Warnscale bottom is epic.
    Mind you the climbing is carrying but the downhills are way better.

johnellison
    Free Member

If it is one of the best in the country I would hate to ride in the others.

This. It’s OK to kill an hour or two, but when you’ve so much epic natural around, who needs trail centres?

stufive
    Free Member

Its fine for a few hours fun and a coffee, if your in the area, however there better trails to be doing if your coming here espeacialy

grum
    Free Member

It’s pretty good – cracking views on a nice day too. As above though there’s lots of better stuff. Something around Kentmere//Stavely is usually good, and it’s easy to mix up trail centre and natural stuff at Grizedale.

patriotpro
    Free Member

flyingmonkeycorps – Member
    Is it any good as trail centres go?

Yes it’s brilliant, the descents are good, better the faster you go and there’s even a good blue-grade to warm up before the 2 red loops.

Like I say the 2 descents are really good fun to smash down! If you’re up that way anyway, you’d be daft not to ride it.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I thought as far as trail centres go it was really excellent with some cracking downhill. Maybe save the blue to last in case you are either tired, the weather really changes or you are short on time?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Only ridden it once, and really enjoyed my first TC experience. More climbing than I expected and the one loop was a lot more exposed than I expected (my excuse was I was just getting used to spds, but found two sections a little windy!!). My only -ve was the very slippy surface on the wooden bridge on the back side. Wiped out on that going fast and smashed my helmet completely/knocked myself temporarily. Other than that…

Plus ladies in shop were v helpful and cafe good.

mtbfix

I went there a couple of weeks ago for a morning away from the family holiday. Very enjoyable trails. Nothing too hard but fun all the same.

Cafe was closed fwiw.

senorj

I go regularly when I’m home & think it’s excellent.
    The three graded routes are always interesting to ride& the way parts have eroded have made some of the climbs more challenging.No two rides round Whinlatter are the same.
    The people who maintain it also do a good job keeping it flowing.
    There’s also a lot of “bonus” bits if you have the time & legs for an explore.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Its a great place, but theres loads of better natural trails out there, personally I find the slate surface way to slippy, and not really suitable for pinning it compared to other trail centres.

You can’t beat the Borrowdale bash for a great introduction to lakes riding, call into Keswick mountainbikres and they will show you the local options.

FYI the Whinllater trail centre is closed 2nd March due to the Malcom Wilson rally.. 😉

r17anm
    Free Member

This was the first trail centre i ever rode and i have since been to many more and i still love it. If you do both red loops and then the blue to finish it makes a good days riding imo.

matt_outandabout

Tis a great spot IMO, with lots of interest. I do wonder if falling on the slates would be a tad ripping…

jonba
    Free Member

Nice and easy – just follow the signs and reliable trials. Good to have as a backup. There are better rides but it adds variety – worth doing. Like most trail centres I find it a little short something like 20km?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This. It’s OK to kill an hour or two, but when you’ve so much epic natural around, who needs trail centres?

Sometimes a change is good.

Great fun loop, blue is a good laugh, try not to pedal for the first bit after it splits.

It was just up the road from where I lived so did it a lot, never really lost the appeal. Just kept being fun.

Others are better in some ways but for a small compact loop that you can do in bad weather it’s great.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I quite like it – though is the top section of the North Loop open again yet? Bit disappointing to make it up the climb to find you have a fire road descent to “enjoy” before breaking into the good stuff. It was all open the first time I tried it so I knew what I was missing!

The South loop is loadsa fun, especially at utterly irresponsible speeds! Going to try the Blue next time I think.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Going to try the Blue next time I think.

Blue is awesome and jumpy 🙂

d45yth
    Free Member

The best way to do it if you’re wanting to do all of it is: Blue, South Red then North Red.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers all! Sorry for the slow response (I like to say thank you!) but my cat has managed to chew through the charger for my Macbook so I’m currently computerless. True story.

Anyway – we’ll definitely be doing some natural stuff Saturday and Sunday, but a few of us are going up a day early and we fancied doing something a bit different to mix it up a bit. Sounds like it’ll be ideal 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

How good you consider the downhill at Whinlatter all depends on what you’re comparing it against.

Personally, I think it’s boring and very unchallenging…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Go faster and stop cutting corners 🙂 Also try it at night with snow and ice 🙂

andymc06
    Free Member

What team you riding for this year xiphon…….? 😀

flyingmonkeycorps

I quite like groomed trail centres to be honest, nice counterpoint to natural stuff.

ahwiles
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Blue is awesome and jumpy

sounds perfect, my girlfriend and i will be going there in a few weeks then. – i will report back.

(the world needs more awesome blue routes, lots of noobies find most reds a bit too tricky)

boltonjon – Member

the cafe is also very good

can’t wait! 🙂

martinhutch

You can save on the quite steep parking charges by parking at the car park signposted on the left just before the main visitor centre car park, which coincidentally is on the blue route.

So you can do the second half of the blue back to the visitor centre, move onto the reds if you want, and finally finish on the swoopy first bit of the blue.

pjm84
    Free Member

I have to say I do like Whinlatter. I’ve only done the Altura Trail. Both times on my trusty old 2008 Trek Top Fuel which I find more than adequate.

d45yth
    Free Member

You can save on the quite steep parking charges by parking at the car park signposted on the left just before the main visitor centre car park, which coincidentally is on the blue route.

Are you sure this is still the case? I think all the extra carparks have ticket machines now?

xiphon – Member

You stick to your downhill tracks then! It’s a red xc route FFS!

martinhutch

Oh, balls, do they? Is that a recent development?

d45yth
    Free Member

Yeah, I think so. I only live a few miles away but haven’t been up for a few months…if I get chance, I’ll pop up there this week and report back.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Whinlatter?’ is closed to new replies.