Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which XT crankset for 1×10 gearing?
  • andykirk
    Free Member

Well I have been searching for hours trying to find the definitive answer to this…. and failed.

Starting from scratch should I go with XT triple or XT double for a 1×10 setup?

And after having decided this do I pay attention to what ‘M’ series it is? I will be running a 32 tooth chainring.

I am not planning on running a guide/ bash guard…. latest wisdom appears to state these are not required with clutch rear mechs and narrow/ wide chainrings?

Thanks for any help from people who have been through this already…. I haven’t been on an MTB for years!

barffy
    Free Member

Any reason not to get Zee?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

As above, Shimano Zee is probably the answer

honourablegeorge

Zee is more Deore level than XT level.

Triple is the answer to the OP’s question, middle ring position is better centred.

creamegg
    Free Member

If you’re running a 32t a triple will be better as you don’t risk fouling the chain on the spider arms. The triple will also give you more options to run a bash if you wanted (although not impossible with a double).

Only benefit of a double IME is that it looks better. Some will mention about chain lines but I’ve got both setups on different bikes with no issues.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Zee Arms weigh more than a small planet

SLX/XT 600g
    Deore 650g
    Zee 750g

duir
    Free Member

Triple is the answer to the OP’s question, middle ring position is better centered.

I found the opposite when I converted my 3 X 10 XTR M980 to 1 X 10. The chainline is 3.2mm wider on the 3 X 10 than 2 X 10 and this can mean the crank sits a bit too far out when using the lowest gears. Switching to 2 X 10 and converting that to 1 X 10 solved my issues.

Of course frame design may be the issue and XTR may be different to XT.

andykirk
    Free Member

So….. 2 votes for triple, 1 for double so far.

It’s for a Stanton Slackline if that helps.

shredder
    Free Member

I have been investigating the same thing.

And have been looking at Wolf Tooth components rings. I contacted them with a similar question on 30t rings for XTR Trail & Race cranksets. As at that point was going down the XTR crank route. This was the reply

“It depends if you spend more time in the big or small cogs. For most people the 48mm is better because they spend more time in the big cogs. For your reference, 50mm is perfect for 1×10 and cog center lines are 4mm apart, so each is only 1/2 of a cog from perfect.”

The 48mm chainline refers to a 104bcd chainring as per the XTR Trail set.

So not sure if this can be related back to XT doubles and triples.

shortcut

I am running the 2x XT cranks with a 32 tooth RF NW Chainring.

I agree with some of the others. There is a real opportunity for the chain to fowl on the spider so I filed the spider down a little and added some 1.2mm chain ring spacers. This works fine.

scruff
    Free Member

I just put a 32t RF NW on an XT triple, in the middle ring space with zee shifter, XT cassette and SLX+ medium cage rear mech. No noise or dropped chains, shifts very well, not noticed anything really, which is great.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have an M780 triple running with a single ring fitted in the middle ring position. No filing, no spacers, just put it on the bike and it works perfectly.

andykirk
    Free Member

Thanks gentleman, I will go for a triple (I prefer the design of the triple cranks anyway, I don’t like the ‘cranked round’ look of the doubles).

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’m using an SLX triple with a single ring in Middle. As mentioned above it runs perfectly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Perhaps the answer is not shimano? SRAM or Raceface do some single specific stuff.

andykirk
    Free Member

MikeW, yes I did like the look of the Raceface Turbines, but from what I read it appears Shimano cranks are very well thought of and seem to be generally favoured over Raceface.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Andy – I’ve got an XT M770 triple for sale if you’re interested in the classifieds.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which XT crankset for 1×10 gearing?’ is closed to new replies.