Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Which XC/Trail bike?
  • jamiej84
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Hope everyone is well.
    My question being I currently have a spesh rockhopper and I have had it a fair few years. I Fancy something new.

My two choices of new frames to build up are.

Kona Kilauea 2010 carbon.
    Whyte 19 Trail, Alloy.

I ride trails, soemtimes hard trails. No jumps. Some small downhill sections, nothing too much on a hardtail.

I fancy a lightweight carbon but would I be better off with the extra pounds and get a more durable alloy.

Decisions. I thought you guys may be able to help me as I have never ridden a carbon. Is this frame more for XC and road. Or can it be used as a fully offroad trail machine to take a beating. The bike looks gorgeous too.

br
    Free Member

IME Alloy and carbon are ball-park on weight.

jamiej84
    Free Member

How about on strength and ability. Would The carbon excel over the alloy? other way round?
    Or with these two bikes does it just come down to which one I prefer.

I have a 110-140mm rock shox fork too which I know the whyte will take nicely. Not sure on the Kona. Hmmmm tough choice.

DrCalumR
    Free Member

Some of the 2010 Kona’s are coming out with tappered headset tubes, like my Abra Cadabra not sure on the Kilauea. So unless the tube on your Rock Shox is tappered aswell it wont fit. 😕

jamiej84
    Free Member

Both the whyte 19 and kona kilauea have tapered internal headsets. My revalation fork is also tapered. So this I take it would fit both

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Which XC/Trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.