Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Which XC wheels for around £150
  • biggins
    Free Member

I have been thinking about new disc specific wheels. They will be used for cross country routes, mostly peaks and lakes as well as the occasional trip to a welsh centre. I’m not too heavy and I am too much of a wuss to do big jumps. I am looking at about £150. Narrowed choices down to:

Mavic Crossride, Easton XC Two, Fulcrum red metal 5, or XT hubs laced to Mavic XC717.

I currently run Bonty Select disc wheels that came with the bike. I’d like to save a bit of weight but also improve the weather proofing of the bearings!

Thanks

Special_ized_Jamie

Get a second hand pair of Hope Hoops.

I got a set which were almost brand new off the classifieds for £150. They come up fairly regularly just keep checking every day.

u02sgb
    Free Member

I can recommend the Crossrides. Had a set for two years in the Scottish Mud, including the first year commuting most days during the summer.

Stu.

chakaping
    Free Member

Consider 719s instead of 717s with XT hubs – wider profile will make it easier to fit wider tyres for those rocky rides.

theflatboy
    Free Member

get a set of xt hubs from on one’s sale right now for £40 for the pair. get a set of mavic xc717s. get them built. happy days.

edit – sorry, £30 for the pair. amazing.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i would definatley buy handbuilt over factory made wheels.

xt on mavic: classic combo

theflatboy
    Free Member

in fact, i’ve talked myself into it and ordered some myself!

Xan
    Free Member

You’ve just pursuaded me to buy a few and I don’t even need them lol. No harm in havin spares. I have still got standard wheels on mine so could be tempted to do the Mavic/XT handbuild combo.

theflatboy
    Free Member

haha, i know – sorry! i dragged myself into it as well, but £30 for the pair can’t be missed 😆

Xan
    Free Member

What about these

http://www.sbrsports.com/1011/60-413290

Same combo as above but built.

foxyrider
    Free Member

My neighbour has some crossrides – he has worn one of the rims through as he still has v brakes but the hubs are still sweet – 2 spokes have busted – pack are £20 (don’t sell them in singles)

smurf
    Free Member

I’ll have a pair of brand new (as in not been ridden on) wheels coming off an Anthem X1 shortly.

They are:
    RIMS Mavic XC717 26″
    HUBS DT 370 Disc
    SPOKES Sapim Race

Not sure what I want for them but it won’t be a lot – let me know if you’re interested

smurf

theflatboy
    Free Member

those sbr ones look a bit bargainous as well, to be fair! i’m after a completely black set of wheels, so don’t know if they’ve got black ones as well? anyways, already got my order on the way from on one now…

craig1975
    Free Member

[/url]

mudshark
    Free Member

Bonty Race Lite from Evans has got to be a good deal at £170:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/race-light-disc-mtb-wheelset-ec001954

Olly
    Free Member

i realise its not what you asked, but i would reccomend hopePro2s on 717s or 719s, circa 200 quid new for a pair?

or build them yourself as a bit of an adventure

theflatboy
    Free Member

got my lovely new hubs today – they’ve still got some left, i’d recommend to others to get a set, when i built my bike recently i picked up a pair of xt skewers for £20, for a tenner more you get the whole hubset!

going to get them built up into a full black wheelset of black hubs, black disc xc717 rims and black spokes for the scandal to get rid of the horrible silver braking surface on the non-disc specific rims on it at the mo. marvellous.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I got a set of XT hubs, DT competitions spokes and 717 rims with rim tape and quick releases from CRC for £142-ish delivered!

And i didn’t have to build them myself… 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

well i don’t intend to build them myself! all in it’ll come to just about £110-£120. happy with that. 🙂

granny_ring

theflatboy, out of interest how long did it take for your order from on-one to arrive?

theflatboy
    Free Member

put in 2 orders on fri, got email notification yesterday that one had been sent out and it arrived today. no despatch info yet about the other one.

granny_ring

Cheers, I’ll wait to hear from them then.

Straightliner

Could I possibly interest you in a set of VGC Mavic Crosstrails for £150? They’re in the classifieds….

biggins
    Free Member

Thanks Guys. If I do it I will go XT hub/mavic rims. Just not sure at present how much difference it will make to the ride of the bike

gonetothehills
    Free Member

If you’re dead set on the XT / Mavic combo (which you won’t go far wrong with) at the very least get them built by someone who knows the Peak District – the handbuilt thing is worth every penny.

They have a regular website too – and a proper shop of course – but their wheels are top drawer. I’ve had 3x Hope hub / Mavic / Syncros rim sets from them over the years, and they’re all spot on.

r6ymy
    Free Member

Hey Mudshark, thanks for pointing out the Bonty’s reduced at Evans. I was looking for a set of wheels around this price, was thinking of the Nuke Proof wheels for £170 Nuke Proof Generator XC
    But the Bonty’s are better as I like to run tubeless. Cheers!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Which XC wheels for around £150’ is closed to new replies.