Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which XC tyre for hardtail with flow rims.
  • forexpipz
    Free Member

Whats better than a 2.4 x-king protection for xc riding of 20+ miles?

I have hope hoops on flow rims and am riding single speed hardtail.

I like the idea of high volume. I’m currently on Barons at 2.35 which ar amazing tyres but they have too much drag and the wobble in them is just unacceptably silly. Like the motion of petrol in the tank. Swish swosh.

cynic-al
    Free Member

terrain is possibly a more significant factor in tire choice, and wobble is about pressure.

forexpipz
    Free Member

It seated with lube at 60psi but as i lower the pressure for the terrain the wobble creeps back.

chiefgrooveguru

What’s wrong with 2.4 XK Protection?

matt_outandabout

al is right about terrain – where do you ride?

forexpipz
    Free Member

Everywhere and anywhere would be my answer. Should I just bang the x-king 2.4s on and go tubeless seeing as though i got the rims?

Ideally I want the most cush for the least rolling resistance. Perfect tire. Think I might have found it unless I can be talked out of it. Opinions appreciated.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m running an XK 2.4 Protection on the back for a mix of ragging a LTHT down mini DH runs, riding singletrack as fast as I can and doing bigger XC rides. It’s quick, it lets go very progressively, it’s got more traction than you’d expect and it’s big volume. I wouldn’t run it on the front but I like something very grippy on the front! Works well tubeless too.

Northwind

For the rear, I really rate the Kenda Slant 6. Light, fast, and ridiculously grippy for what it is. Only downside is they wear a little faster than i’d like (and sidewall tearers will probably tear the sidewalls)

fizzicist
    Free Member

I’d suggest a Bonty XR4 at either end – not too slow, sticks like sh!t to a blanket and not overly expensive. Having said all that, I found a Fat Albert in the cellar yesterday and shoved that on my full suss with surprisingly impressive results.

robarnold
    Free Member

+1 for Bonty XR4s, ace tyres

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

On my hardtail, which I use for commuting and trail riding (all sorts) I have kind of found some middle ground with spesh purgatorys 2.2 front and rear. Running the front tubeless and intend to leave it there while I will swap the rear for a bling bling in drier weather.

They aren’t the fastest rolling, nor the grippiest but do provide some middle ground.

br
    Free Member

I run an XR4 on the front, brill tyre – and Ardent on the rear – Crests.

Flow’s are definitely overkill for XC, but do tubeless them.

forexpipz
    Free Member

I got the flows to eventually use for a hardcore hard tail but when I go xc I’ll put some nice fast fatties on. Hence my question. So would x-king 2.4 rear tubeless and bonty upfront be nice n quick for my single speed legs which btw are getting stronger but I’m still a lazy arse. Speed seems to be my friend on ss.

br
    Free Member

bonty upfront be nice n quick

Ah, no – its quite slow.

chiefgrooveguru

Rubber Queen, XR4 and Purgatory are all high volume tyres, which grip well and roll pretty well considering how grippy they are. They are not fast XC tyres, more what you might use for gravity enduro racing where the downhills and corners are on the clock but there’s still a fair amount of pedalling. Decent all year round too.

If you want to go fast on singlespeed something grippy like that on the front might help you carry more speed (by braking less) than having something quicker rolling on the front.

rob2
    Free Member

If you want fast and it’s just woody your way and not too muddy try a maxxis aspen on the rear tubeless. It is mental fast and the large casing if comfy but they are fragile tyres. basically not very versatile but fast 🙂

forexpipz
    Free Member

Should I get the normal sidewall version of the x-king coz the prostitute version is £45 a pop. Not good.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which XC tyre for hardtail with flow rims.’ is closed to new replies.