Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which XC Brakes?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m building up a new bike at the moment and I’ve got pretty much everything sorted apart from the brakes.

I’ve always used Hope X2’s in the past and they’re the obvious choice for this build but I thought there might be something as good or better for the money that would be worth trying.
    Hope X2 Race Evo’s come in at about £230 for a set without rotors so that’s my budget.

Has anyone tried the new XTR Race brakes? Are they any good?

The bike’s being used for XC riding and XC racing (badly).

drovercycles
    Free Member

I was going to say XTR Race – I have the trail version and they’re excellent – I’m guessing you lose a bit of power (there’s plenty to spare) and drop some weight – that’d be my alternative to Hope.

FSA have some new high-end disc brakes on the market too and I believe they’re pretty light.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I’d have Xt or XTR Trail, I’ve just put XTR Race on my bike and they don’t seem to be a good in all areas (other than weight) as my old XT ones

njee20
    Free Member

I’d have XTR Race. I’ve got the first gen ones (M985s?) which have been flawless for 4 years. Seems reliability has got worse on the later ones, but that aside I’d still have them. I keep contemplating upgrading mine to the newer ones.

adsh
    Free Member

Only run Hopes so can’t be objective but I love my race X2s. Pros are the ease of pad changing, great back up from the factory, spares for years and wonderful progressive feel. Con is they are quite pad wear sensitive so the lever can gain a fair bit of movement which unlike the tech x2 you can’t dial out.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tempted to swap from Avid’s to XT or XTR here. Are XT that much heavier than XTR?

njee20
    Free Member

About 70g/end excluding rotor I think.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Previously I’d have said avoid Avid like the plague, but actualy my last set have been faultlss so far, and the set before only needed bleeding to get them working. So I’d stick my neck out and say either XT or whatever Avids come in at ~£120/pair. £130 will probably save more weight elsewhere, or pay for a turbo and trainer road subscription for a year then you’ll have the going fast and slowing down sorted!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve always liked Avid, though seals have gone on my Elixir CR’s and was just looking around at what else is out there. I could just replace the seals I suppose but I’m time poor!

nixon
    Free Member

In my own biased opinion I’d recommend a set of Formula R1s, light, plenty of power and fit and forget. Though you won’t go wrong with a set of XTRs, Shimano brakes are always great in my experience.

Tweakie
    Free Member

I’m an Avid fan. Always have been – they’ve always been a good set of stoppers – plenty of power and modulation.
    For XC/XC Race, I would say “screw the MINOR weight penalty, because you’ll save the time by braking later and with better control” and I would go for the SRAM Guide RSC brakes.
    Tweeks have them for £112.49 an end – http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3401&g=732113&p=732138&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Disc%20Brakes&gclid=CjwKEAjw0LmoBRDHuo7UkaKXhn8SJADmDTG0zT_xW71qA9aBQEU_czya5KBAvfSgabx03LVlcjW9RBoC7OPw_wcB
    Add some of the new rotors and enjoy. Mine are incredible in all fairness.

EDIT – Plus, when you EVENTUALLY need parts for them, you can buy almost anything in small kit fashion, instead of “a calliper” or “a lever” as you do with Shimungo.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Like you have to ask. Shimano brakes require very little maintance and when they do need bleeding it is easy. Add to that the feel is always good and so is the braking torque. Even deore brakes are excellent. Slx, xt and xtr just get a little better lighter and more expensive.

welshfarmer

Results from a recent test in BIKE.de magazine

Probably irrelevant for UK riders interesting to see another take on it. The results are based on proper laboratory measurements of several parameters, as well as some subjective testing by riders on a set course.

Race Brakes

1st Magura MT8
    2nd FSA K-Force
    3rd Shimano XTR Race M-9000
    4th Formula R1 Racing
    5th Hope Stealth Race X2 Evo

Trail Brakes

1st Magura MT7
    2nd Formula CR3
    3rd Sram Guide RSC
    4th Shimano XTR Trail M-9020

njee20
    Free Member

What were the parameters? Didn’t know FSA made brakes either, fun fact.

welshfarmer

Parameters..

Practical test:
    700m high hill with 20% slope
    First 300 m is lots of sharp corners to test modulation and ergonomics
    Second 400 m of fast swoopy tarmac to test resistance to fading and power.
    3 testers of 75, 85 and 95 kg test each brake model and each brake rotor size (160 & 180 for XC and 180 & 203 for trail)

Laboratory test:

Various tests including;

Stopping power
    Resistance to fade
    Hysterese Curve in dry and wet conditions ????

edward2000
    Free Member

I got rid of all my Avid XO trail brakes because when there was the slightest bit of moisture the deafening squeal ruined the ride. I sold two sets for more money than I brought two sets of XT brakes which are silent and more powerful.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

In my experience Magura MT brakes (think I’ve got MT7’s) are utter shite! Zero power, crappy modulation and pads that don’t last. My Stumpy came with ’em, they were instantly crap then one of the master cylinders failed. Magura replaced both master cylinders which “upgraded” them too MT7’s, they’re still incredibly crap. Oh and they seem to give me hellish arm pump too on any ride over 1h30, probably due to the extreme lack of power.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which XC Brakes?’ is closed to new replies.