Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which winter boots and gloves
  • yossarian
    Free Member

Seeing as it’s the summer I want to get some winter kit.

I’m after some toasty boots and gloves. Probably not shimano for the boots as I find their offerings very narrow.

Any suggestions? Ta.

piemonster

Specialized Defrosters worked well for me last year and I found the wider than Shimano.

Tread isn’t the greatest or HAB but have still coped with Highland terrain. I mainly went with them for fit, there may be other boots with more functionality but none I tried that fit so well.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Northwave Artic GTX thingies are ace

Superficial
    Free Member

100% Brisker for all those in between days where you want a warm glove but winter gloves are overkill. They’re a great product.

I have Shimano mw91 winter boots – I don’t particularly like them, but I definitely wouldn’t call them narrow. Perhaps they leave more space for thick socks.

jobro
    Free Member

It’ll be a personal thing, foot shape etc, but for me Defrosters cured years of cold feet on the bike. I use Woolybooly socks with them.

carlos
    Free Member

steve_b77 – Member
    Northwave Artic GTX thingies are ace

+1 worn with a thin pair of normal socks and some wollieboolies. Good for HaB’ing in to IMO

Gloves wise, I’m currently liking my Gore winter gloves, this’ll be the 3rd winter and they still look good and perform ( can be a bit sweaty but I find all winter gloves are)

swanny853

I’d never have bought them at full price but I picked up some gore winter gloves cheap a couple of years ago. I would now happily buy them at the (obscene) full price. Compared to other winter gloves I’ve used they’re in a different league for breathability- no more struggling to get hands back into damp gloves after a tea stop and it generally makes them more comfortable/warmer because the sweat doesn’t chill your hands.

This is a ‘cold and dry’ pair- not good in rain. I also have the equivalent ‘cold and wet’ waterproof ones- a little bulkier and breathability isn’t quite as good but they are great for properly foul days.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Aldi gloves

I just find warm Marino socks and getting wet feet works for me. I’m still on some Ulvangs from eBay

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northwave are the badger’s nadgers. Highly recommended.

Gloves? Well, I use these;

Element 2.0. Much of the benefit of a mitt (Warmer) with the benefit of a glove (Dexterity). Not “waterproof”, but being made of Windstopper, they’re comfy in all but the most hideously cold conditions.

swanny853

As for boots I’ve had Shimano and northwave and both have been fine but the biggest difference for keeping feet warm was switching to a lighter set of tights and wearing lightweight waterproof trousers over the top. Massively cuts down on cold water chilling your legs so your feet actually have a chance to stay warm.

I have mavic trousers which have proved nice and breathable and one winter and a few crashes in my initial fears of them seeming a little fragile are looking unfounded

deadkenny
    Free Member

I just use the same stuff and layer up. Shoes, just thicker socks and sealskinz if wet enough. Gloves are the same Endura windchill wear all year.

But I don’t feel chill much in hands and feet. Or even lower legs so I’ll still wear shorts unless it’s sub zero.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

bib shorts under waterproof shorts (never trousers) to keep the cold splashes off the back and warm kidneys.

boots wise i have the shimano mw81 and northwave, always get the size bigger than summer shoes. if you cant wiggle your toes they will freeze, thicker socks. i prefer the northwave as mud doesnt get in and they can easily be hosed down, the shimano straps are a right pain.

in terms of gloves if its not raining and absolutely freezing under 5 degrees, (get a size bigger)
    i find the specialized windstopper style glove a bargain at £14
    https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-deflect-glove-EV217637

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which winter boots and gloves’ is closed to new replies.