Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which winter boots…
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

My 6 year old northwave winter boots are no longer keeping my feet warm.
    1 degree today and after 30 mins my feet were cold and toes going numb.
    Not good, so what you got and do you recommend them….?

benji
    Free Member

Been getting on really well with Specialized Defrosters, nice warm feet, so far have been waterproof, and the ankle cuff is capable of being a snug fit on my sparrow proportioned ankles.

These replaced my old Northwave Artics.

senorj

Shimano mw81 and some warm (woolie boolie) socks.(one size too big)
    The last pair lasted ~10 years.

excitable1
    Free Member

Which Northwave boots do you have ?

I used the GTX Celcius Arctic for years and they were great in all winter conditions. I recently bought some new GTX Extreme versions with the Boa ties… bag of sh1te !!!

The Boas get clogged up and one of them broke off, worse still they gape around the ankle and p1ss in water so you’re feet get cold and wet. I ended up sending them back under warranty and replacing them with some new Arctic Celcius again. -6 degrees last night, toasty warm and dry feet again and I’m £80 up.

Very cheap here and in 1/2 sizes too !

Speshpaul

mw81……. hummm
    mine have fallen apart in 2 years and Madison won’t warranty them because and I kid you not “we’ve had a wet winter”

DaveRambo

+1 for Shimnao MW81 + merino socks

Wore my MW80 pair out over 4 or so years and the newer 81’s are just over year old and (after a wash) look as good as new

jordie
    Free Member

Lake 303 are really good much warmer than any Shitmano boots which i bought in the past

fenred
    Free Member

NW celcius here…Love ’em!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’ve always been happy with Shimano boots. I made some neoprene ankle cuffs a few years ago to stop water running down my legs into them, which work really well.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Lake 303 are really good much warmer than any Shitmano boots which i bought in the past

Had a 2 hour ride this morning; -5 when i went out, -3 on return. Toasty warm feet with just mid weight hiking socks…

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Shimano MW81 are working well for me. They got me through the deluge that was last winter and I have even used them in the snow in the Alps with great success. Buy a size up, however.

spooky_b329

Recently got some Lakes…has anyone has issues with the silvered bubble insoles?

Did 60 miles over three days, admittedly with some walking involved as I was single speeding in Afan, and the bubbles have popped under my heels and ball of foot, and the flocked material has unstuck under the heels.

They are sending me new insoles but I suspect they will do the same. Also lost two of the stud blanks so they must have been loose.

hatter

I’m actually considering replacing my trusty but ancient Northwave Celcius’s, they’re the old Italy made ones.

Thing is the old NW shoe always came up big so that a 46 was a perfect fit even with wooly socks whereas most other cycling shoes require me to go up to 47.

Can anyone give an informed opinion on whether Northwave sizing and fit has changed now they’ve moved production to the Far East?

hatter

Oh and before someone suggests it; nowhere near me holds stock of Northwave so trying them on isn’t an option.

fenred
    Free Member

@hatter 3 pairs of Far East production NW’s here, all size up exactly as civvy footwear. HTH

PMK2060

+1 for the Shimano MW81 boots. I have not had cold feet since i bought them in November.

I wish i had bought them years ago. Warmer than overshoes easier to get on and off.

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Thumbs up for the Shimano MW81 as well very warm and holding up well.

MSP

Can anyone give an informed opinion on whether Northwave sizing and fit has changed now they’ve moved production to the Far East?

I would say they are true to size, I take a size 49 in most normal shoes, and size 50 in most cycling shoes, but the celcius artic I bought this year, size 49, are fine with woolie boolies. I wouldn’t want a thicker sock though.

I bought some spesh defrosters last year (current model) they are a tad more roomy, but I just don’t like them, they are a bit flexy and the ankle gaiter just doesn’t fit right.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Had North Wave arctic and tried the 45 North boots but have now changed to Specialized Defrosters and they are the best. They are waterproof they others arent and I use a cut off wrist from a Tesco rubber glove over the tops. 100% waterproof. 4 hours today across the forest washed bike and shoes down and sox still 100% dry and warm. One point aboput winter shoes you need to try them on with your thick sox and you should have some room left. The wiggle room keeps sweat down and toes warm. If their tight they will be cold.

Specialized Defrosters plus one

tenfoot

I have Defrosters. The right foot Boa gave up after 2 months, and the top of the left foot Boa came off last month. Not impressed considering how much they cost.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Noted but I guess you can take them back for replacement I would. Fingers crossed mine last. Tbh I’m just happy to have warm dry feet. Anyone else had this problem?

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m on my third winter in MW81s and they’re OK but not great. They initially fell apart pretty quickly and I re-stitched around the neoprene cuff. They look more normal than a lot of other winter boots, which is a plus I suppose. They’ve almost fallen apart again now (the cuff but also in other places) and next time I’ll be buying something different – probably defrosters since my other Spesh shoes are great.

z1ppy

Love my MW81’s but they don’t keep my toes warm in temperatures around 0. My new Lake 303’s are hugely better, I’d throughly recommend them, m8 has had some a season without sign of longer term issues

vinny666
    Free Member

I’ve used MW81’s in the past and they were ok. Then Sidi Diablo’s and they were crap. Not that waterproof, never kept my feet warm and the sole fell off after 4 months. Just got a pair of Scott Heater boots from Westbrook Cycles. I’d never heard of them before but they are the best I’ve used. Really warm and keep your feet drier than anything I’ve used before.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

They were expensive, for me, butSpecialized Defrosters are possibly the best bit of bike clothing I’ve ever bought.

Cold/wet feet are now a thing of the past.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Had MW81’s & they need a revamp, not the warmest, Had Spesh & they’re Ok but just got my grubby mits on the new Northwave Extreme boots, comfortable warm & the new boa system is good, they are a full liner style so no gaps, there’s a cover over the Boa cord but underneath a full liner, they gape slightly at the top but all my boots have let water in the top eventually so it’s Submerge Rubber Writs cones chopped down to go over the top of the boots which there’s plenty of info on here about.

dantsw13

I think the key is which ones fit your foot shape. If they are too tight, you’ll get numb cold feet. I have wide feet, and the Northwave Celsius seem to fit me. I bought 1/2 size bigger than normal shoes.

andyjh

I’m looking for some new boots as my feet get painfully cold after and hour or so out on the bike at night. I bought a pair of defrosters last winter and they really haven’t helped which I’m a bit disappointed with. I think it must be the fit as with a pair of thick Sealskin socks on they are slightly snug. I bought them the same size as my summer shoes on recomendation that Specialized do internally size up on their winter boots and in the shop they felt ok with some wooly socks on.

I also ride clipped in so my feet aren’t moving much during the ride, not sure if this is a factor also and if flats are better during the winter?

So do I get a size larger defrosters and hope it’s just a sizing issue or go for a pair of Lake 303’s as my next choice of winter boot?

ahsat

I have the latest gen of defrosters and they are brilliant (a vast improvement on the 1st generation). No cold toes at all this winter.

z1ppy

The lakes definitely get my vote, I’ve always suffered badly during cold winters, I’ve yet to feel an chilli with my new ones, even when standing around. The 45NRTH, seem to get good reviews as a cold weather boot too, always with having a couple of expensive options to decide between

SimonR

Just splashed out on some Northwave Celcius after my old Shimano boots started to leak quite badly – this weekend should be a pretty good first test of them – fingers crossed!

Tried some defrosters on but couldn’t get my feet into them – even big sizes with thin socks on wouldn’t fit.

Attractive thing about the Northwaves is that they’ve got a big bellows tongue so they seem to be dead easy to get into even with thicker socks.

Sizing and fit seems to be similar to the Shimano boots – maybe a touch narrower but the toe box is bigger – more wriggle room.

SimonR

@Pawsy_bear – I like the tip about using a cut-down rubber glove as a gaiter too – was trying to think of something suitable.

chris_db
    Free Member

I have Shimano MW81 and they work well until it gets so wet the water gets in the top. Then it’s like paddling not pedalling…. 🙁

oldnick

Defrosters here, the first winter boots I’ve had and they seem fine.

Some water got in the tops during the first ride, so I bought some heavy duty black marigolds, cut off the cuff and use that to seal the tops to my sparrow ankles.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Lake 303s, no issues with mine and they also come in wide fit and big sizes! Superwarm and super comfy even for hike a biking.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which winter boots…’ is closed to new replies.