Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which winter bib longs/ tights?
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

I am looking to spend decent money on some bib longs to see me throught the worst of the winter weather. I havn’t been too fussy in the past but now my knees are really starting to complain if I get too wet/ cold.

I have been set on the Endura Stealth bib tights as they are the only fully waterproof bib tight as far as I am aware. The reviews generally say they are completely waterproof and super warm but have no pad and can feel a little restrictive due to the thick material. I also started thinking “how many times do I actually suffer from being so wet I need full waterproofing”? I think warmth would be the main thing but I’m a little unsure.

Then I got thinking, if I am going to spend £130 on a pair of bib tights then there must be all sorts of great alternatives out there which are winterproof (if not 100% waterproof). It is a little hard to tell the quality of the various options from the internet and it will be difficult to find shops which stock all of the various offerings…

So… Endura Stealth fully waterproof bib tights or stick to a really high quality bib tight that is super warm, winderproof, with a good pad (personal I know) but isn’t completely waterproof?

What would the STW massif recommend?

Many thanks in advance, DanW

hilldodger
    Free Member

I went through the same thought process and settled on a pair of Lusso Max Repel bibs – they have a double seat but no pad, which is what I wanted as I find it easier to wash/dry a pair of shorts on a daily basis than bibs.

They’re not 100% waterproof but the rain does bead up on the surface pretty well and they don’t get soaked, plenty warm enough and seem pretty well made, albeit quite a basic design.

teasel
    Free Member

I’ll second the Stealth tights, very good bit of kit for a variety of conditions.

As for the winderproof, maybe these would be suitable.

MrSmith
    Free Member

the new castelli nanoflex fabric.
    the bike journo’s i know are raving about the stuff.

mrmo
    Free Member

I have a set of Castelli fulmine’s Kiss3 pad and Nanoflex material, these are no longer made but i suspect are similar to items that are.

They are very nice and so they should be for £150ish i paid, but they are not very warm tights, they are good to around freezing but in last years winter i was using a set of Endura thermo-thingies i have had for 8-9 years and was wearing 3/4’s underneath instead of shorts.

The waterproofing does keep you dry for a little longer. But something to be aware of, and this applies to all windproof tights, the material is not as stretchy as normal lycra/roubaix, so you may find the shaped knee in the wrong place.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

That Castelli stuff sounds like the Santini H20 stuff too.

DanW – there is Stealth and Stealth ‘Lite’ versions. The non-Lite are probably too warm for anything but sub zero work almost. Avoid also if you’re long in the leg – Endure seem to think XL, XXL and XXL people are all the same height.

MSP

I have some pearl izumi ones that are excellent, few years old now and still look like new (gavia plus I think) I don’t think they make that model any more, but worth checking out there stuff.

I would recommend getting a pair without foot loops, so they can go over the ankle collar of winter boots.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

I have a set of stealth and castellis….

The castellis are what are what I choose most of the time. I love the pad. But the endure win for wind proofing and warmth. For hit weather they are hands down winners…

Not as comfy tho.

simondbarnes

My Endura Stealths are ace when it’s pissing with rain and cold. My Castelli’s are much nicer when it’s cold and dry.

d45yth
    Free Member

The Pearl Izumi Pro Amphib stuff is excellent! I’ve used mine for two winters now and they’re still like new. Very comfy chamois too. 😀

DanW
    Free Member

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions- there are certainly some options there I hadn’t previously considered. A bit more reading and a few trips to various LBS’s and I should be able to MTFU and make a decision 😀

I’m still open to any other suggestions if there are bib tights out there that meet the STW seal of approval 😀

druidh
    Free Member

I have some 3-winter-old Stealth tights which have now decided NOT to be waterproof and I’m looking at options. The Stealth cetainly work well when it’s cold and wet, but it is like wearing a wetsuit. Despite them being cycling gear, I find they’re particularly tight over the thighs, despite length and waist being OK.

Oh – I don’t mind the lack of pad, I just wear liners underneath. It’s more convenient to change those very ride than wash/dry the tights.

The new Endura Equipe tights look useful. They have “Stealth” panelling on arse & shins, thereby keeping the wettest bits dry, but they are stretchier in the other areas so not as constricting.

DanW
    Free Member

So a mixed review on the Endura Stealth then?

I think I have the same feeling at the moment as you DruidH. I think I am convicing myself more and more that a good quality, warm bib tight is probably more practical for 95% of Winter rides. There arn’t many occasions when I really, really wished that I was wearing 100% waterproof leg wear.

The Castelli’s look very appealing at the moment…

hammerite
    Free Member

I’ve never bothered with waterproof, and even when getting soaked have been warm wearing Wiggle’s own DHB Merstons. I think they’ve changed the name to DHB Pace now though.

DHB Pace

windproof version

ruscle
    Free Member

I use the endura thermolite biblongs, really warm but also breath well so don’t over heat. They have options to come with or without pad and are double layered at the knees. Link to them at crc below:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34402

DanW
    Free Member

I tried the Endura Stealth Lite today at the LBS but found the sizing a bit off. The medium were far too short in the leg and the large were baggy and the bib straps were far too long. Can’t win sometimes 😀

I think the sensible option is a decent, warm bib long with perhaps Castelli Nano-Flex leg warmers on top to layer up if it is exceptionally cold/ wet. Bit more of a flexible option in terms of movement and adaptability to conditions I think…

Thanks to everyone for their advice so far

Blackhound

I got a pair of Rapha 3/4’s for £20 a few years ago (they were seconds but took some looking to see the fault). Quality is excellent and they do some winter tights for £170. Not that much more than some of the these up above.

Look here as well, Craft and Exteondo make some excellent stuff though I do not have any of the full length kit. Where I would go along with Pearl Izumi:

=http://http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/legwear-147/bib-tights-52/

DanW
    Free Member

I went with Hill Dodger’s suggestion in the end- Lusso Max Repel bibs.

I tried lots of different brands and all bib tights from the mid range right up to the very top of the range and (save from Assos) nothing was comfortable, well fitting and decent quality. I really like the material and design of Mavic tights for example but they were so uncomfortable for me.

The Lusso didn’t look like anything too special but they do the job fantastically well and kept me warm and dry at the weekend. Very happy with the Lusso Max Repel bibs 😀

Mister-P
    Free Member

I had a couple of pairs of the Lusso tights a few years ago and was very pleased with them. The zips gave up and they split on the backs of the ankles after three winters of hard use. I couldn’t complain, they had done thousands of miles.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bump

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which winter bib longs/ tights?’ is closed to new replies.