• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by xyeti.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which wide road tyre for wet winter riding?
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

Unfortunately a car is beyond my budget at the moment, so I’ll be having to cycle to college! The thought of doing so in the winter rain is not a good one, but since there is no other option, looking to make it as hassle free as possible! I have a Spesh Awol which I would be riding, it has Specialized Triggers, though I don’t know if those are any good for the wet. Are there any anyone can reccomend? Thinking of just getting Marathon Pluses despite their weight in order to ensure no punctures, that would be a nightmare!! Thanks (:

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

38mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers for £26 a pair at PX?

officerfriendly
    Free Member

I saw those! They do look very good, folding and reflective strip, and in brown! Thing is though, I want something that’s really good in the wet, I haven’t heard much about those?

CraigW
    Free Member

Panaracer Pasela PT or Ribmo PT. Much lighter than Marathon Plus, but still fairly puncture proof.

flannol
    Free Member

Marathon Plus are bulletproof, but don’t trust them hugely in the wet

Sorry I don’t have a suggestion; that’s just my input. BULLETPROOF but not 100% convinced by wet grip. If you’re not really cornering or anything though, they’re definitely a safe bet for not even having to slightly consider punctures, all year, for many years…… (the ideal commuter situation? depends what you find important!)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Maybe this is why Schwalbe made the Century model, which I’m still trying to work out what its selling point is! PX say they are great in the wet!! 😆

1-shed
    Free Member

Make sure you have got space for mudguards, they are your best friend in the rain.

cp

I toured in France in august last year in very pissing wet rain on those Vittoria hyper tyres. They’re very very good.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

The Panaracers look really good, the weight on them is amazing compared to the marathons! Though are they any good in the wet? The Paselas look like they would be, but I’m not sure!!

Thanks for the advice Flannel, makes sense, they do look very slick as well!

The Century’s look like they could be, but I honestly don’t know!

That’s a great point thanks! I have the AWOL elite which thankfully comes with some of the nicest, longest mudguards I’ve ever seen on a bike! (;

Oh wow. That’s very, very tempting cp! Did you have issues with punctures at all? Having a puncture in the rain would be an utter nightmare.

Edit: They seem to have puncture protection too!

Supple 120 TPI nylon casing and Speed Shielding make it ultra-light and puncture-proof. Unique Aqua-Flow tread pattern, in the same grip compound as our top racing tires, confers superb, distinctive appearance. Reflective sidewalls for night visibility.

Think I’ll get them, would you go for 35c or 38c? I like the look of the brown but that’s only in 35!

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Just ordered them in brown, 35c, can’t wait! Thanks all!

fudge9202
    Free Member

Just ordered a pair in black 35c. Online reviews look good and at that price it would be rude not to!
    Cheers

jamesmio
    Free Member

What’s the consensus on Gatorskins? I thought they were pretty much the de-facto choice for winter/commuter road bike tyres?

lunge

What’s the consensus on Gatorskins? I thought they were pretty much the de-facto choice for winter/commuter road bike tyres?

My experience is that they’re horrific in the wet. I took them off my winter bike as they scared me!

simondbarnes

What’s the consensus on Gatorskins?

Pretty average. I’ve used Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elite for the last couple of years or so and much prefer them.

cp

consensus on Gatorskins

Scary.

Conti 4 season in a different league.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Schwalbe Durano (28mm) were recommended to me.

I have left them on the commuter year-round. Excellent all-rounders and very deflation-proof.

xyeti
    Free Member

I’m currently running Vittoria open pace cg

Unbelievable tyres, the grip is unbelievable both wet and dry, I ran MP,s last winter and they are scary in the wet, Duranos in 28mm the newest ones let go at the bead.

Just bobbed some 25mm Open Paves on my carbon bike and they are quicker than the tyres that were on it. And the cushioning that the 320 TPI carcass offers has totally transformed my bike. They are great tyres.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which wide road tyre for wet winter riding?’ is closed to new replies.