Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which white silicone?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Shower silicone is needing replace again. Any brands of silicone out there that stay white for longer. Noticed a few new ones in a Screw Fix leaflet today.

tony24
    Free Member

Dow Corning if you want 1 of the better 1’s

RustyMac

Uni bond stuff is lasting well in my bathroom, B and Q own brand stuff was crap.

andywoods
    Free Member

use a proper sanitary silicone not standard grade crap

supercyril
    Free Member

Removing silicone is a s**t job. I never begrudge paying for a branded type such a unibond. It’s worth it in the long run as it will outlast the cheaper stuff.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Yep, sanitary grade and make sure it has the BS or EN standard on the side. Can’t remember which one it is though but the Screwfix no nonsense stuff is compliant and worked for me.

teasel
    Free Member

Best I’ve used as far as mould resistance goes is Everbuild Forever White, but to be honest the best way to stop mould from appearing on any bathroom sealant is to add a fan if you haven’t already got one and wipe down the excess water after showering/bathing (a cheap, small micro fibre towel is best). Combine this with the sealant above and you should get away without mould for a fair few years.

Maybe a bit OTT but someone I know cleans the sealant lines with meths once a month and it still looks as good as the day it was fitted.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Dow Corning 765 is the best, although the Screwfix no nonsense sanitary grade is also pretty good and a fraction of the price. Avoid unibond products like the plague and only use sanitary grade.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Dow 785 fat fingers 😆

Shadow
    Free Member

Dow Corning

compositepro
    Free Member

Removing silicone is a s**t job. I never begrudge paying for a branded type such a unibond. It’s worth it in the long run as it will outlast the cheaper stuff.

You can get it done for free on the NHS

nealglover
    Free Member

I always use Dow Corning.

As do most of the other plumbers I know.

Not cheapest stuff, so it must be good if plumbers still use it eh 😉

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for Forever White. Really nice viscosity/tack too so nice and easy to apply with good results.

Their grout reviver is also very good. Both have lasted a couple of years in a very damp bathroom with no sign of mould.

tony24
    Free Member

Another top brand is ARBO but it’s harder to get from local stores very high quality sealant though knocks the socks of anything else I used except Dow Corning which I would say is around the same quality

AdamT

last time I used any sealant was for fitting chainring bolts…..I ran out of threadlock! Seems to work fine! 🙂

soops
    Free Member

Dow Corning every time.

landofgiants
    Free Member

Ever build forever white. Use it every day. Nice to apply, flexes well and stays white for……ever!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which white silicone?’ is closed to new replies.