Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Which whisky?
  • bommer
    Free Member

Got a mate coming round for a few days and want to get a fairly nice (and available) bottle, as he doesn't quite like laphroaig or ardbeg as much as me. currently hovering between Highland park or Glenfiddich 15yr but not having had highland park can't make my mind up. Any thoughts on either?

duckman

Highland Park, but this thread WILL run and run.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Balvenie

angryratio
    Free Member

just go and buy two bottles of hp… and drink one while you watch this thread. 🙂

soulrider
    Free Member

Highland Park is the better of the 2 there
    but what about
    Benromach (or if feeling REALLY flush – Benromach's Organic)
    Miltonduff (if you can find it)
    Glen Livet
    McCallan
    Talisker
    Cragganmore
    Balvenie

I could go on…

bommer
    Free Member

I'll be getting it from the scarily rather good selection at my local asda, so it won't be anything too hard to get hold of, I just wish the bugger liked quarter cask as I need a refill

also: why does highland park always seem to be on special offer? £22 in nearly every supermarket

angryratio
    Free Member

Because the price is artificial.
    Special offer signage implies value.. chances are your still being taken for a ride, but, its nice so who cares.

Netdonkey

Simple.. Isle of Jura

hughjengin
    Free Member

As you mentioned "Whisky" as opposed to "Scotch", may I humbly recommend Penderyn, which is as smooth as it comes IMHO

devs
    Free Member

Gordon & MacPhail in Elgin got a nice 70 yo malt on sale at the moment for a cool £2500.
    My choice would be Balvenie Doublewood or Blair Athol

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

What Netdonkey said…Isle Of Jura

J0N
    Free Member

The Balvenie seems to be the favourite today. I indeed have a signature at the moment, however, I think I prefer the double wood.
    Oban is a worthy tipple.

glenncampbell

Lagavulin – lovely drinking whisky . . . . .

mt
    Free Member

Tomatin
    The Singleton
    and all the other suggestions plus many more.

If you are buying from the supermarket I would suggest a 12yr Glenlivet Smith is very good for the price.

Enjoy!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Quinta Ruban – A glenmorangie but with some time in port wood casks. fanfekkintastic
    Over budget, but I did get a bottle from Tesco for around £25 a while back

dave_aber
    Free Member

+1 for Balvenie Doublewood. Highland Park 12yo isn't a shabby dram either. Expect to pay around £22-£28 for the Park, and around £30 for a Doublewood (70cl)

bommer
    Free Member

glenncampbell
    Lagavulin – lovely drinking whisky . . . . .

getting that off the mrs for me birthday.

I think it'll be highland park then – if I can walk past the quarter cask quickly enough, anyway!

tony_m
    Free Member

Another vote here for Highland Park, or how about a Springbank 10y-o?

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I've yet to meet someone who doesn't like the taste of Dalwhinnie.

De-lish-usssss!!!

peteimpreza

The Dalmore 15 is my tipple of the moment.

carlosg
    Free Member

Macallan 12 given a choice for me.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Bramble, but best in a hip flask and on a ride. Ducks to avoid a barrage of empties.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Jura? No.
    Lovely island though

dave_aber
    Free Member

Macallan 12 given a choice for me.

The original 12 as opposed to the Elegancia 12? Much more impressive, if you can find any. Export only now.

Gordy
    Free Member

Simple.. Isle of Jura

*nods*

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Glenrothes is my choice of tipple atm[£32 a bottle)

smiffkin

Lagavullin +1

Caol Ila is also nice

big_scot_nanny

I recently had my best mate and his family come to visit, he also a bit of a whisky fan, so we decided to do a jounrey across Scotland. That was the best way to enjoy them. Why stick with one?!?! 😈

FWIW, we did, in order (did not finish each bottle!) a
    Glenkinchie (12? bit of a beginners whisky but a nice start),
    Glenfidich 15 (I really like this, very easy)
    Highland Park 12 (heard a rumour it is 15yo in the bottle as they ran out of 12)
    Lagavulin 16yo I think, which has shot to the top of my favourite list, possible because we'd had a right old skinful beforehand!)

All supported by a fab 'genius' playlist, mature cheddar and oatcakes, and some smuggled Irn Bru (bit difficult to find in Schweiz!).

😆

Kev

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Bells?

JD???

IGMC!!!!

ibennion
    Free Member

If you are anywhere near a Tesco store their own brand Islay Malt at under £18 a bottle is exceptional value for the taste. Typical Islay slightly smoky and Peaty taste.
    Enjoy!

tonyg2003

I worked at Grants as a student. Drinking 75yr old Balvenie in the lab on fridsay afternoons spoilt me. Still love a drop of Balvenie doublewood.

sweepy
    Free Member

Benromach is my fave, but ibennion is right about the tesco's isla

matthewjb
    Free Member

If your mate doesn't like Ardbeg then Lagavulin isn't a very sensible suggestion.

I'd avoid anything too smoky and go for Aberlour a'Bunadh. Oddbins generally have it in stock.

Delicious aromas of honey and custard and flavours of apples, pears and plums with a cinnamon / nutmeg spice.

mavisto
    Free Member

Auchentoshan is pretty unique as I believe it's the only tripple distilled whiskey left in Scotland. Makes it very smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth (with a capital oooooooooooooooooooooo)

M6TTF
    Free Member

love balvennie doublewood too 🙂

Flaperon

Highland Park.

Tubbs
    Free Member

FeeFoo,I thought Dalwhinnie was a ladys only whisky sipped after tea and cakes?.Get someting with some smoke and peat behing it,you know it makes sense!.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I'm not keen on Laphroaig and the like, but quite like Highland Park, and I also like Aberlour, which is often to be found on offer in supermarkets at very reasonable prices.

J0N
    Free Member

Monkey Shoulder is a crackin' blend. 3 single speysides blended well. Easily finish a bottle with a friend in one sitting.

rOcKeTdOg

🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Which whisky?’ is closed to new replies.