Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Which Wheelset?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I want to replace the wheels on my current bike but am becoming a wee bit confused by the amount of options available, too many rim typres/numbers….

I need a 20mm front and QR rear hub and I would prefer Mavic Rims. For a heavy rider(16stone) mainly for trail centre and local forest/woodland. Nothing too hardcore/heavy…

Budget about £200ish-Don't need to be tubeless but would consider it if someone points me in the direction of a good value set.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking out for beofre I go internet shopping and trawling the classifieds?

Will

njee20
    Free Member

Hope Hoops with ZTR Arch (or Flow, whichever they do!) rims, only slightly over budget.

mboy
    Free Member

Agree with njee20 (at 16st definitely get the Flows though). You'll be able to reap the benefits of tubeless this way too! (oh and Winstanleys seems to be the cheapest place to buy them online)

If £200 is your absolute limit though, perhaps just a Hope Hoop front wheel, with a matching rim built onto a 6 bolt Shimano XT rear hub would do the trick and save you a chunk of cash in the process…

njee20
    Free Member

You say that, but retail on Stan's rims is currently £90!

Cheaper to buy the Hope Hoops and flog the rear hub if you're not using it!

nickc

Front, go for generic CRC front hub (after all it's mostly just a tube with bearings in it). Rims, I prefer Mavic over Stans, for no other reason that they've never let me down and are pretty round from the factory, and they're cheaper, I'm sure Stans are lovely though. general riding I'd go for a 719, tubless go fro 819 (although they're a PITA to build) Rear hub? Hope are pretty relentless, and easy to maintain. Spokes, i normally use DT but last ones I built I used Sapim, for no other reason than I could…So they're my current favourite bit of bent metal…

It's all science, my wheel choices, as you can tell….

mboy
    Free Member

Cheaper to buy the Hope Hoops and flog the rear hub if you're not using it!

LOL

Good point!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

cheers for that, have been looking at the pro2/stans flow or mavic 719 but still undecided.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Which Wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.