Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which wheels, yay…
  • bigjim

OK, so on one have some good deals on wheels at the moment. I’m keen to get some lighter wheels for my trance, 6bolt disc, bog standard QR, for general xc, trail centre, mucking about in the woods use. I weigh 80kg or so, don’t (can’t) jump, occasionally ride something a bit steeper and rockier, use 2.1 – 2.3 tires.

So, Fulcrum Red Metal 5’s, FSA XC105/300SL, or ignore the sales and XT/719 or 717s?

Will the 300SLs be too light?

I would like as silent a freehub as possible though its not a biggy.

Make my decisions for me singletrack cloud…

RealMan
    Free Member

hope hoops with stans rims is where its at.

trickydisco
    Free Member

/\ What he said

I don’t look for anything else now. Had a set of pro3/ztr 355’s for 2 years and they’ve been faultless. Now after a set of pro2/ ztr flows for the burly FS. Stans well ahead of the game compared to others IMO

PJM1974
    Free Member

Personally, I’d go down the self build route with a set of Hope Pro2s and Mavic 719s. I’m about 80kg too and have dinged a couple of 717s but my 719s seem to handle hamfisted riding so much better and are only tens of grammes heavier.

But then I do like building my own wheels.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Hand built, dt240 or chris king hubs on stans or mavic rims, db spokes. Job done 😀

bigjim

I would actually really like to build my own wheels but don’t want to buy a jig.

I should mention I’m keen to do this on the cheap hence the jump at the sales – £150 or not too much more for the pair.

Have stans really caught mavic napping and taken the top spot?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I don’t have a jig – A jerry-built system of crayons and electrical tape suffices for me.

Hmmm… I did get a cracking deal on the ProIIs in the summer but I doubt if the hubs alone could be obtained new for £150. 719 rims usually retail for £45 apiece on CRC.

trickydisco
    Free Member

ztr : For me it’s the fact they are lighter, stronger and you can run them tubeless with no faff

takisawa2

717’s on Pro2’s here. Great wheels. Wouldn’t buy anything else.

trickydisco
    Free Member

had 2 sets of mavic 717’s (2 rims) bust both of them – weight: 420grams

Had ztr 355 rims for 2 years now and they’ve taken a battering (been through 2 bikes 1 FS and now HT) (peaks, wales, scotland) and they’ve been awesome weight: 355 grams

not sure if my riding has got better or it’s the rims

Tom83

I’ve been using 717’s with XT hubs for two years now, still running true, no dings despite a few silly judgments on my behalf. Got mine from Merlin for a good price too.

bigjim

Hmmm maybe custom is the way then. I don’t want Hope hubs because of the racket they make anyway so the price of em doesn’t matter.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I don’t want Hope hubs because of the racket they make

pack a load of grease in em.. noise will go

warpcow
    Free Member

Superstar are doing their multi-axle hubs with Stan’s Crest or Flow rims for about £200 right now.

If I couldn’t afford much I’d go for the Fulcrums if they’re still about £99 at on one. I bought some for a little more, though not full price, and they’ve been great. Not light, but well made and not made of cheese either.

catfood
    Free Member

Id go for a set of Mavic 719s on Hope XC hubs, you will find a very reasonable set on the classifieds built by Merlin for my good self and only used for a few months.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which wheels, yay…’ is closed to new replies.