Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • which wheels?
  • crotchrocket
    Free Member

Light and strong, upto maybe 500gbp?
    135mm 20mm front and 10×135 rear.

Context: To go on my 150mm hardtail. I tried revolution 25’s, & I keep snapping spokes, typically 1 per ride on a 25km bash around rooty woburn.
    I give them only a decent welsh or rocky peaks descent & I think they will be fit got the bin.

So: what to replace them with?
    hope pro2evo hubs are a good call, but which rims? I like Flow, but would prefer something eyeletted for strength – but without going silly on the weight.
    I have hope/729 on the big bike but they are waaaay too heavy for the Tranny hardtail.
    Ideas and other options?

Northwind

Eyelets don’t really add day-to-day strength. They can add longevity, but on the other hand they don’t neccesarily (most cracked 719s and 721s I’ve seen did so around the eyelets, mine did).

Way I see it is, apart from the Mavics, most wheels get killed by force majeure rather than getting to live out their natural life. If my Flows have a shorter lifespan, I don’t mind, they’re unlikely to make it to the end of it due to the job they do.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’d not to hung up about the lack of eyelets on stans rims
    Flows are a tough rim
    Having an even spoke tention will do far more the wheels durability
    And this does not mean doing up the spokes as tight as you possibly can either

nosedive
    Free Member

for £500 you could almost get 2 sets of hope hoops on flow and just have a set with mud tyres on or something

slowboydickie

How a nice pair of light American Classic hubs laced to Stans Arch rims with comp spokes. very strong yet 1590 grams. And the hubs can fir to any configuration.

maxtorque

You’re breaking wheels at Woburn? Blimey, i think i need to man up a bit as i find there isn’t a lot there to break stuff on (assuming you aren’t catching serious airtime in the jumps bowl?)

(probably snap my whole bike next i go there having posted that….. 😉

gravity-slave
    Free Member

The new Flow EX has a thicker spoke bed and stronger sidewall so should fix the two small weaknesses – easy to ding and spoke can pull through.

That would be my choice of rim. In fact, it is, just ordered some Flow EX hoops as my rear Flow has seen better days and hoops are such good value for money.

njee20
    Free Member

DT240 hubs on a Stan’s rim, Flow or Flow EX

crotchrocket
    Free Member

You’re breaking wheels at Woburn? Blimey, i think i need to man up a bit as i find there isn’t a lot there to break stuff on (assuming you aren’t catching serious airtime in the jumps bowl?)

You just need to ride it faster 😉
    I’m riding at 9:30 tomorrow if you want to come see the interesting bits outside of the park.
    Top of Church Road, Woburn Sands.
    Red transition transAm

& Phil/G-S> Been checking out those hoops. Seen a few killer deals & might pick up some over the holiday.
    BTW did you ever edit that crash from Stanage Edge?

backtothetop
    Free Member

crossmax sx for £600? have to buy a 12-10mm step down rear axle though, they come with adaptors for 20mm and 15mm up front, 12×142 135×12 and 135xQR or the rear but not 10mm!

maxtorque

Drat, can’t ride tommorrow, as i’m off down to dartmoor. Just can’t decide if i should take my bike or a canoe?? 😉

The woburn backwoods are gonna be gopping by now i should imagine!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘which wheels?’ is closed to new replies.