• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which wheel size- 14" or 16"?
  • ctk
    Free Member

My 3.5 yr old boy is looking massive on 12″ wheeled balance bike and I reckon is ready for a bike with pedals. I’m thinking either an Islabike or a Ridgeback but need to decide which wheel size first. He is tall enough to go straight to a 16″ wheeled bike but I wonder would a 14″ wheeled bike be easier for him to learn on? Anyone got any experience with this?

Thanks

Junkyard
    Free Member

think i went straight to 16 ” and then to 20″
    IME they are not doing anything gnar [ so they can ride something large and unchuckable]As they quickly outgrow stuff so I would not be spending loads – you may only get a years use as, IME, you need to get to 20″ wheels for gears and 24″ for triples and you need those once you move from the flat stuff

peabrain
    Free Member

Mine has been on 16″ wheels since just before he turned 3 even though he is small for his age. The difference in the bumpy/rocky/rooty trails he could manage compared to the 12″ wheels was astonishing. Even though he is only 3, he does do gnar and seems to find his “little bit too big” bike chuckaroundable enough.

*edit* just noticed he is moving from a balance bike. In that case 14″ might be better to learn on so he can get both feet comfortably flat on the ground.

ctk
    Free Member

I’ve sat him on 14″ and 16″ wheeled bikes and the bigger one seemed to fit him better. I just imagine that smaller wheeled bikes are easier to learn on- is this right?

I’m weighing up either a new Islabike (with sell on value) or a used Ridgeback, he has a younger brother so I’ll get my moneys worth whichever way.

peabrain
    Free Member

I just imagine that smaller wheeled bikes are easier to learn on- is this right?

I really don’t know. However I think that if the bike was a bit too small then it might be harder to pedal if his knees were coming up to his chin…

kayak23

15.5″, makes the playground come alive.
    😉

ctk
    Free Member

Thanks chaps- I think I’ll go for 16″ cant wait to get him on it! we went over some jumps today on his balance bike (wheels still on the ground) he loved it.

peabrain
    Free Member

Now you have to decide Ridgeback or Islabike…

ctk
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member

Hang on what about a 16″ on the front with a 14″ on the rear? best of both

ctk
    Free Member

peabrain – Member
    Now you have to decide Ridgeback or Islabike…

I’m leaning towards Ridgeback there is a nice one on ebay at the mo…

TiRed

12-16-20-24″ is a steady progression. 14″ is a waste unless you buy into Isla’s perfect size for every ‘ickle one. Tyre choice is dreadful for anything less than 24″.

Was the funniest thing I’ve read in ages.

Unless you have other siblings, buy used. My bikes were all passed down. And most mainstream brands are just fine these days. TiredTeens cut their Gnaar on a rigid steel 16″ Raleigh Kobo with alloy V brakes and adjustable levers. It wasn’t the lightest, it certainly predated Queen Isla’s assault on the children’s bike market middle class angst, but it was fine for five mile rides in the country with Bridleway action. They could both ride without stabilizers by the time they graduated to it, because I didn’t like balance bikes and taught them on 12″ wheels.

ctk
    Free Member

12-16-20-24″

Oh yeah that works out- thanks- logic! 12,16,20,24 er 28

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which wheel size- 14" or 16"?’ is closed to new replies.