Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which Welsh trail centre?
  • dknwhy

I was planning a trip to Afan soon but by the sounds of it with the closures etc, it’s not worth it.
    Which trail centre in Wales currently offers the best riding (not downhill – just general red runs, easy black, XC etc)? I know there’s loads outside of the centres etc but I just want an easy option.

Will be heading over from London so would prefer south Wales if poss.

Thanks.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Brechfa is the only one that would match in S.Wales. 4 trails, green, blue, red & black.

Nant yr Arian in Mid Wales is very nice, bit more of a wilderness/natural feel.

ryanctj
    Free Member

How long are you going for? Despite the closures the Afan trails are still getting plenty of traffic and are worth doing if you’ve never been.

wrecker
    Free Member

CYB. Brechfa has 2 (not counting green/blue) trails and the Raven one isn’t great. Cwmcarn has 1 trail.

spudnick
    Free Member

cwmcarn gets my vote

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Cwmcarn has 1 trail as above; up and down.

It’s good fun though, but not really worth a long drive for less than 2 hours riding.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Raven is Marmite; personally I liked it’s hairy-assed-ness but my riding ability doesn’t really do it justice. Gorlech (red) is more meets-expectations. The blue trail is a gas at full-gas.

wrecker
    Free Member

I didn’t find raven hairy assed. I found it confused.

loddrik
    Free Member

CyB, with Afan close behind (if the Penhydd has opened yet)

CyB definitely worth the trip up, with Nant yr Arian on the way back.

wrecker
    Free Member

Penhydd has been closed for nearly 4 years!

misterlee
    Free Member
    superfli
    Free Member

NyA or CyB for more choice.

Carpediem
    Free Member

I’m from Afan, it’s my local haunt and I’m there regularly. Admittedly with some of the closures and diversions from time to time I feel a bit Grrrrr! but last week Having spent the afternoon doing the Gorlech trail at Brechfa, I’ve come to the conclusion that while there are parts that are enjoyable, there’s too much climbing and not enough vertical bang for your buck.The drive up is magical, but I think in riding terms, W2 and Afan knocks spots off it. (IMHO)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which Welsh trail centre?’ is closed to new replies.