Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Which waterproof for walking
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new waterproof for walking. Doesn’t need to be anything super technical and don’t really want to pay more than £150, although if there’s something devastatingly reduced in the sales then I’m happy to pay a bit more.

A shell type jacket is fine as I can wear an insulated jacket underneath if need be.

On the list so far are:

Rab Spark
    North Face Sequence
    Montane Minimus
    Rab Charge

Anyone got any of the above or is there something else I should be looking at.

Drac

I bought one of these last week used it the other day when we had a shower, seems pretty good. If it lasts half as long as my last North Face I’ll be more than happy.

https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/sale/men%26-39%3Bs-arrano-jacket-CD9S?variationId=15Q

johndoh
    Free Member

If my next North Face jacket lasts twice as long as my current one I will be happy.

🙁

jam-bo

something in goretex pro. I picked up a arcteryx beta fl in the rock&run sale for less than half price (ok, so still pretty expensive).

Gary_M
    Free Member

Oh I quite like that, although I do find north face fit a bit odd.

footflaps

Look on SportsPursuit, quite a few GTX jackets in their sale

http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/hike-our-warehouse-best-jul16?dir=desc&order=price

try “WH2016” for an extra 10% off..

peekay

Similar thread from a few days ago with some recommendations. I can’t speak highly enough about the one I linked to.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/recommend-me-a-new-multi-use-goretex-shell-jacket

Edit: Alpkit also have a couple of new waterproof shells for your budget which may be worth a look.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I can’t speak highly enough about the one I linked to.

Could you give me the name of it at least 🙂

Edit: thanks 🙂

peekay

Sorry, I didn’t want to appear spammy. Patagonia Untracked, sold as a ski jacket but more of a shell, link to cheap price on the STW link above.

Drac

If my next North Face jacket lasts twice as long as my current one I will be happy.

16 years for mine. I was about due a new one.

beanum

The Alpkit Gravitas looks pretty good…

OutDoors Magic Review

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh the alpkit looks good, only one pocket though which is a minus point. I understand why, its for trail running/biking/adventure racing. Can I live without hand pockets for walking, I’m not so sure.

nedrapier

If it’s raining, you’re not going to want your hands in the pockets, as they’ll fill with the water running down your sleeves.

If it’s not raining, or only raining a little bit, you’ll probably be better off with the jacket in the pack.

This is well worth a read if you’ve got 10 minutes:

http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_truth_about_breathable_waterproofs

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I’ve mulled over the pocket conundrum and gone for the alpkit. Ordered a medium and a small as size looks skimpy. It’s free returns anyway.

Having compared it to the others on my list it looks by far the better option.

matt_outandabout

Patagonia Untracked, sold as a ski jacket but more of a shell, link to cheap price on the STW link above.

It *is* a Patagonia ski jacket – and as such is big, square and ‘merican in approach.
    Patagonia make much better walking/general outdoor jackets, such as a Torrentshell (surprisingly good for such a cheap jacket)

+1 – I was about to link to that.
    I find I use a good softshell more than waterproof these days, for the reasons he outlines.

iainc

have you decided what colour Gary, or do you want a hand with that ? 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

It *is* a Patagonia ski jacket – and as such is big, square and ‘merican in approach.

Yeh I had a look at it and thought the same, looks like a ski jacket.

No help required with the colour Iain, my wife’s an art teacher so I just ask her. Thanks anyway 🙂

iainc

phew 🙂

peekay

That blog is great!

Yes, the patagonia is a ski jacket. I meant ‘more of a shell’ as a comparison to a more traditional multi layer insulated ski jacket. I needed a new ski jacket as well so it suits me in a smaller size to avoid the flappy rad American fit. A good middle ground multi use jacket.

Also had a torrentshell which was great.

New Alpkit Balance also looks good.

But as above – the colour is the most important feature.

johndoh
    Free Member

Anyone got any thoughts on this (again it is a ski jacket really but it looks pretty decent).

Dare2B waterproof

Aristotle
    Free Member

I have been very, very impressed with my Paramo Velez Adventure Light for outdoor activities over the past few years.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m not that keen on smocks, they can be a bit of a pain to get off and in my experience they tend to pull a bit.

Anyway I’ve gone for the alpkit, I’d forgotten all about alpkits new jackets so thanks for the reminder

Aristotle
    Free Member

Fair enough.

I was a bit unsure about the smock before I bought it, but it is so breathable and can be so well ventilated that it is not a problem.

I’m not sure what you mean about pulling, but it is easy to get on and off for an able-bodied man 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

but it is easy to get on and off for an able-bodied man

without taking every layer underneath with it or asking someone to hold your jumper down while you pull yer jacket off.

My experience of smocks is that the lining seems to sit annoyingly in the sleeves for example.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Ok, but the Velez Adventure Light isn’t like that!

thecaptain
    Free Member

A good goretex should last for years. Although you may get damp in really wet weather, I find that the real benefit of the breathability is that you can start to dry off under it as soon as the rain eases off, but still keep the wind out. So much better than a cheap boil-in-a-bag cagoule or highly porous pertex (though the latter comes into its own for vigorous exercise and/or less wet weather).

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ok, but the Velez Adventure Light isn’t like that!

Okay, but I’m still not buying one 🙂

footflaps

All my GTX jackets have lasted years without leaking and some have had a lot of abuse over the years eg weeks of solid climbing / teaching in the Highlands in winter.

Never had a problem with condensation, but then I only wear them when I need to and use softshells for walking in the fells when it’s not snowing / raining heavily.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Which waterproof for walking’ is closed to new replies.