• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Del.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Which van for £2.5k?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I want to sell my car and get a van so I can do very frequent 4 day weekends away on my own or with a mate sleeping in the van / generally making life easy if putting a tent up is a hassle at the time or stealth camping!

Im thinking a short or mid wheelbase transit at the moment?

not really sure how practical or what engine to look at – as economical as possible hopefully but powerful enough to get around the Alps

anyone done similar? scared of having no mpg and having bits to fix all the time, not fussed about hard to park or creature comforts as riding 4 days a week makes up for that hassle

any advice taken 🙂
    thanks
    al

hels
    Free Member

Sleeping in the back of a normal unconverted van isn't ideal. Its OK in very dry climates e.g. France/Spain but when I have tried to do it here you get loads of damp and condensation coming in and its very cold. Event with a couple of empty bike boxes on the floor for insultation, I would recommend some kind of raised bed. But you have to keep a window slightly open ofr ventilation so still get the condensation.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Are you handy with joinery, upholstery, wiring etc etc? A DIY conversion, but make sure your insurer knows about the modifications.

konabunny
    Free Member

read this thread from a couple of days ago: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tell-me-about-campervans

Del

have just bought a peugeot expert ( up to 2007 version ). citroen and fiat do their own version of the same van.
    i plan to remove the ply lining and insulate behind, fit a roof lining ( ply again ) and insulate above, lift the floor and insulate underneath. fit those wind deflector things on the front windows so i can have the windows cracked even in the rain. also getting some of those silver insulated window things to keep the warm in and the cold out, assuming my classifieds purchase comes off. if that's not enough to beat condensation, i'll fit a couple of those spinning roof vents if i have to, but i don't think that will be necessary.
    other than that it needs a stereo upgrade 😀
    it's long enough to take an army surplus fold up bed ( just ), and wide enough to take an inflatable double ( i'm told – i haven't tried ).
    bikes will go in whole easily.
    i reckon it's about as close to a car as you can get, and still comfortably stash your bike, and sleep in.
    direct line insured it for sd&p and business use for 260 quid. cheapest i found elsewhere was 350, though to be fair i didn't look that much further once i had the DL quote.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Which van for £2.5k?’ is closed to new replies.