Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which valves for Tubless?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Want to convert my new bike to tubeless. The Synchros X40Plus wheels are tubeless ready and I have a selection of tubes from my spares box. All over 3 years old. Which two would you recommend me trying?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/EECVfW]20160304_124426[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

None of those tbh! Café latex valves are my current choice, though I’ve used stans and DT swiss before with no probs.

xyeti
    Free Member

I’ve Used STAN’s ones for ages now and never had any problems.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadkenny
    Free Member

Any with a removable core for ease of seating tyres.

Other than that, close your eyes and pick one at random. Won’t really make any difference. Well except the one with the metal base. I’d go for the rubber bases for a reasonable seal.

I’ve used official ones and ghetto’d ones from old inner tubes. They’ve all worked.

Sealant is key with tubeless. Lots of it. Plus a little rubber o-ring between the nut and the outside of the rim is a help.

scaredypants

nedrapier

specialized ones from Evans are a slice cheaper than Stans.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m with scaredypants, next time I buy valves they will be schrader. Makes sense to have a bigger hole for seating reasons.

somafunk

Schrader will not work on the X40 rims as they are drilled for presta tubes

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not for me, no probs seating rims with presta core removed, and means I’m not drilling rims.

Rubber_Buccaneer

drilled for presta

Good point. I have a drill, bits and the ability not to hurt myself. The OP has only two of the three 🙂

I’d not bother changing my presta valves, just saying schrader would be my choice if I had no valves to start with.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve used a few and Stans and SS are my favourites. SS are cheaper and lighter (the alloy ones) so I tend to go with these nowadays.

Tracey

Used Stans and the Specialized Roval ones, the Rovals were quite a bit cheaper

bigblackshed

Wot Scaredypants said.

+ battery drill, correct sized drill bit, small file. And the ability to not drill in to your brain through your eye socket.

Yak

New stans or superstar. All more or less the same.
    Of your motley selection – the back one and the one 2nd to the L.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Totally faff free tubeless conversion.

Possibly because of new tyres and wheels, possibly because a valve adapter let me use a compressor to inflate.

Let down tyre and remove inner tube. Fit valve and a couple of twists with pliers to tighten it. Pour in a metric glut of Stan fluid. Put the tyte in roughly the right place. Inflate and wait for a couple of pop noises as the edgee fit the rims. Put wheels back on the bike.

Tomorrow I can start playing with the pressures to see if I can find any grip on the nobbly nic tyre

Yak

Make sure you ride with pliers then, or back the valve off to finger tight.

Good work on a faff free conversion though.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I don’t get why you ever need to remove the valve.

Pop the tyre for about a quarter of the rim and pour the fluid in.

I guess if you blow the tyre completely you might want to fit a tube in which case, yes, a trail tool with pliers would help.

Is that what you were thinking of? I am off on a longer ride tomorrow and don’t want to sit next to my bike crying for pliers becaus I have misunderstood.

Cheers wca

Yak

Yes – just in case you get a puncture or tear that can’t be fixed by the sealant or too big for anchovies (or similar) and you need to get a tube in.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Decathlon – makes a mockery of anything other than butchering a cheap tube.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which valves for Tubless?’ is closed to new replies.