Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Which uses the least fuel, going downhill in gear or in neutral?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Save the clutch springs, and your leg ???

Daffy

philb88 – Member
    Why both with neutral and not just dip the clutch in?

Because you’ll kill the throw out bearing and effectively kill the clutch.

nealglover
    Free Member

Cruise control doesn’t apply the brakes or change gear for you – just modulates the throttle.

Correct on the changing gear (in a manual at least)

Incorrect on the brakes (in my last two cars at least)

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Excuse my ignorance but If the fuel is cut off when going downhill in 5th (with foot off gas) how does the engine keep firing?
    Doesn’t there need to be some fuel to keep the pistons going?

Presumably not, but don’t get it.

molgrips
    Free Member

The engine isn’t firing. The pistons are going up and down becaue the wheels are turning it.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Oh, that seems obvious now.
    Cheers!

sbob
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Cruise control doesn’t apply the brakes or change gear for you – just modulates the throttle.

Wrong on both counts for modern autos with adaptive cruise.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Sui – Member
    If the car has active braking…My manual 5 series has it, and will break on downhills

That must get annoying after once or twice!

tymbian
    Free Member

It’s more economical to (1) go downhill in neutral, foot off the gas than (2)in gear foot off the gas.
    Look at the rev counter… (1) approx 850rpm compared to whatever it is when your in gear using the engine…

molgrips
    Free Member

Wrong on both counts for modern autos with adaptive cruise.

Ok adaptive cruise maybe, but with normal cruise it’s far from universal even on modern cars.

(1) approx 850rpm compared to whatever it is when your in gear using the engine…

Well the point of the thread is that even though the engine is doin 2krpm there’s no fuel being injected into it…

yunki
    Free Member

What sort of fuel are you running…?

I think it makes a difference if it’s liquefied dinosaur based

Russell96

Haven’t got adaptive cruise on mine, just the normal cruise but whilst on cruise on downhills it will apply the braking to keep the speed constant. That is due to there being no engine braking at all on my car, it has a CVT gearbox and regenerative braking. So going downhill in gear not only uses less or no fuel depending on the incline but also charges the dirty great big battery located below the back seats, thereby increasing the range. Pulse and coast works great for upping the MPG.

Mister-P
    Free Member

My manual 5 series has it, and will break on downhills

I thought German cars were reliable.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Look at the rev counter… (1) approx 850rpm compared to whatever it is when your in gear using the engine… “

Uh huh

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not explicitly illegal to coast however it is frowned upon in the highway code.

Definitely an infinitely worse idea to switch the engine off altogether.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Which uses the least fuel, going downhill in gear or in neutral?’ is closed to new replies.