Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • which tyres to fit Pacenti SL23 rims – having a 'mare!
  • freeagent
    Free Member

recently had my road wheels rebuilt with Pacenti SL23 rims, and am struggling with getting tyres on and off.
    I had been using my old Gatorskins, with the plastic rim strips which came with the wheels, however they were a total nightmare to get on, and even worse to get off..
    I’ve done a bit of research and realise the crap plastic rim strips are not helping, so have roll of Stans Yellow tape on order.

What tyres are others using with Pacenti SL23 rims?
    I understand the Gatorskins are a known tight fit – I don’t want to use a tyre which I cannot get off at the side of the road.

This is a summer bike (Giant Defy) however I’m 100KG, and ride on crappy roads, so need something reasonably robust.

Don’t know much about tubeless – however I understand that the Pacenti rims + Stans rim tape puts me in a good position to try this..

I’m well aware of tyre changing technique – but the Gatorskins were shocking!

leeroybrown
    Free Member

I have schwalbe pro one tubeless 23 on mine, they were a very tight fit

Haze

Tried Hutchinson Fusion 3 and Schwalbe Pro One, all difficult to get on!

ianpv
    Free Member

No problem with conti 4 seasons or GP4000S on mine.

Yak

Fusion 3’s are incredibly tight on those. I had to buy a long handled dh tyre lever. Upside is they go up tubeless very easily.

xyeti
    Free Member

Without sounding like a know it all its all about getting it on right, you really need to stretch the tyre around the rim whilst feeding it into the bead, of course you know this that’s why your changing the rim strip but the only way I can sometimes get tyres onto my 25mm HED rims is by using tie wraps, big uns,

Start at say the 6 o clock position, feed the bead into the track and lock it off with a tie wrap, feed it in and work it from 6 to 3 stretching as you go and lock it off at the 3 position then work it the other way locking off at 9 o clock position and then work it in whilst stretching it into the top part at 12.

I’ve just put on some Schwalbe Marathon Plusses for last weekends TPT route and my finger ends are still tender now.
    If I’d not done the tieing off thing the bastards would have never gone on.

Have a look at this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

hopster
    Free Member

Hutchinson Atom. Tight but not OK to get on and inflate.

edhornby

try electrical tape and the gatorskins again

tomaso
    Free Member

I’got SL23s and conti gatorskins and they seem a little reluctant but not impossible.

singletrackmind

Got a Miche Pro4 and a Specialized Armadillo on mine . Both went on easily but they part worn so sretched beads. I think i even rolled the Pro4 on by hand ( with tubes ) and my thumbs are borked.
    Beware long levers I put a dint in the V section of one of my rims with a lever

felltop

Tubeless tape on mine. 25mm Continental Grand Prix GT’s fit with no issues.

jkomo

You need rimless tape- 21mm.
    This allows you to squeeze the tyre together as you fit it so it drops into the central well.
    With the superstar tape my wheels came with the tyre was prevented from dropping down as it’s quite thick, I couldn’t fit GPS 4000s even with park tool levers.
    With the rimless tape, I could fit by hand.

freeagent
    Free Member

Quick update.

I swapped the rim strips for 2 wraps of 21mm Stans yellow tape, and managed to get a 25mm Conti Grand Prix on without the need for tyre levers!

I’m fairly confident I could change these at the side of the road with just the short levers I carry in my saddle bag.

Thanks for the advice..

funkweasel
    Free Member

Gatorskins are cack. Just put some GP4000s II on and enjoy 🙂

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I had 4000s on mine fitted fine.

sturmeyarcher

Schwalbe One 23mm here. Bit tricky but went up tubeless with a track pump right away.

sq225917
    Free Member

Tubeless road tyres, sufferfest…..

fanatic278
    Free Member

I know the issue is resolved but to confirm I have no problem with Michelin Pro4 service course or the new Michelin Power Competition.

Mine are SL23 v2 rims with the deeper groove, using Pacenti blue rim tape.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘which tyres to fit Pacenti SL23 rims – having a 'mare!’ is closed to new replies.