Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which tyres (no really): Large volume but good in gloop?
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

With the showers we’ve had my ADvantages clogged like a chipshops drain, the abundance of leaves make the sticky mud even more tenacious. Like a crapier mache.

Clogged tyre+roots= 😯

I’ve been chucking myself off things a bit more so want to keep some volume, although I get why mud tyres are thin. I had Rocket Rons as a halfway tyre and they were ok but delicate. I ride in the South East, no rocks just lots of sticky mud and roots.

What are you running/planning to run for the imminent slopfest?

Cheers :mrgreen:

Northwind

What’s your idea of large volume? Conti Baron 2.3?

druidh
    Free Member

Hüsker Dü front and rear

ash258369
    Free Member

Single ply minion dhf’s for me for me over the winter, don’t get on with mud tyres

dantsw13

If you want a strong mud tyre, lave a look at the GEAX datura – currently available as a UST tyre for £13 from on one!!!!!! I used mine in the Alps due to the muddy forecast – which never came – and it was great!!

OwenP

Maxxis Swampthing, singleply 2.35, for the bad days. 60a compound will be fine. Other, less spikey tires can be surprisingly good. Maxxis High Rollers will cope with a good mixture of stuff and come in lots of sizes and compounds.

Northwind

I’d say there’s no point to the swampy any more, Baron does the same job, rolls about the same, and works better when there’s no mud.

nosedive
    Free Member

I’ve not tried them yet but everywhere I go I meet people who are raving about some specialized one, hillbilly I think. Ive been told they are more predictable when it stops being muddy than a full spikey tyre.

I cant be assed to change tyres all the time though so I wont get a set until I can afford a spare set of wheels

chiefgrooveguru

I’ll be able to report on my current combo once I’ve ridden WP a bit more in the wet but previous impressions were good. For more full on mud the Hillbilly and Baron look appealing but sloooow…

Northwind

Baron’s not fast, but still not too terrible.

Hillbilly’s a full on dh tyre, sort of like a premade cut spike (though, it has less spikes than a scream or a storm) Heavy, and though it’s not as terribly draggy as you’d think, I still don’t like pedalling it up hills. Very good though. I think it’s officially a loose/loam tyre but it works well on mud.

cozz
    Free Member

NATE – no debate

chiefgrooveguru

Actually, I have some Swampthings (42a & 60a) you can try if you like? (As I’m hoping to ride my ‘summer’ tyres all winter…)

HermanShake
    Free Member

Cheers for the responses.

When I say high volume I mean the larger, squishier, modern style of tyre as opposed to the low volume old skool approach. So you can have high or low volume 2.2 for example. Many ‘proper’ mud tyres are low and narrow to cut through the crap and find some bite.

Thanks Al but I think Swampthings are a bit too heavy for my delicate legs to spin up to speed! They’d be great at WP but OTT for me on much of Stanmer.

Dantsw13: cheers I think that’s what I’m after 😀 I may finally use that old bottle of Stans from when I tried to ghetto my tyres (this was a few bikes ago). Hopefully going tubeless would mean less PSI and therefore better root control. Roots, bloody roots.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

something 29″ in diameter. i use a conti race king – perfect in the mud 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

Beavers are what you need.

james
    Free Member

Maybe a spesh storm in 2.0″, which come up about as big as a 2.25″ schwalbe albert or 2.35″ maxxis high roller
    Certainly much bigger than a 2.0″ Bontrager MudX

chris_db
    Free Member

Well, I’ve gone through a few tyres recently, seeking the “one”. Had High Roller II’s, Minions, Spesh Purgatory, Nobby Nics, Fire XC’s, Racing Ralphs and Rocket Rons.

Running tubeless now so don’t want to have to swap out and the best tyre I have used is the Schwalbe Hans Dampf.

It does everything I need; weakest aspect is mud but even then it isn’t bad and clears quickly.

Best tyre I’ve come across for general everything riding.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I use Super Tacky Swamp Things through the winter. They are a bit slow but they are bloody grippy. Having said that my High Roller and Larson combo work fine for 8-9 months of the year so I only need the Swamp Things when it gets really bad.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which tyres (no really): Large volume but good in gloop?’ is closed to new replies.