Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which tyres for Morzine alps
  • tweedviper
    Free Member

Which tyres for Morzine alps trip, sorry all I know tyres is an ongoing discussion, but I use lots of different tyres here depending on weather conditions etc. but am off to morzine for the first time in a month and would value all of your useful information

geetee1972
    Free Member

Take an intermediate dual ply rear and if you’re light or just riding trails a regular front. Personally I don’t think you can get a better combo than high rollers in 2.35 dual ply read and 2.5 front.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Whatever you get, go for the thick sidewall version. Tyres are to personal a thing really. I’d go 2.5 minion, double wall, 42 front and 50 or 60 rear.
    See what’s cheap, because you’ll probably destroy them. 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

Thick sidewall Maxxis stuff does me fine. I just have single ply, Minion EXO 2.5 front, HR2 EXO 2.4 rear. I recommend the HR2 over HR for better grip, though not if you’re looking to do a very pedally ride. Doubtful in the alps I guess 😉

Dual ply would be more reassurance, though heavy.

Tubeless. With loads of sealant. But carry a tube and/or a trail side tubeless repair kit for holes that wont seal. The type you thread in, e.g. Panaracer Tubeless Patch Kit.

tweedviper
    Free Member

Brilliant thanks evryone, in answer to a couple of questions no I am not light I am 6ft 2 and 17 stone, also I don’t plan on doing an excessive amount of pedaling if at all possible, keep the info coming though really helpful. Thanks

dashed
    Free Member

Dual ply minions or HRs. Think crc had some cheap minions on recently…

zerocool

ual ply minions, high rollers or similar.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Swamp things for when it rains all week.

atlaz
    Free Member

I went with Hans Dampf pace and trail star. Fine until they got clogged with mud.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m just back from the Somme or Morzine and used Muddy Mary’s, great in the awful mud, but still worked well down the canyon, super morzine black etc. They worked really well in La Thuile and La Rosiere in the dry too.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Swamp things for when it rains all week.

+1 for that. Can you still buy them?

For pure DH use in the PDS, I always loved my Intense Intruders. They were monsters, 1.5kg four ply monsters. You could run them at 20psi and they were like leeches but you needed hands of steel to get them on and off.

jamj1974

I took a High Roller for the back and Minion for the front both dual ply and supertacky. I went out for a quick spin on my normal tyres on the evening of Day 1 before changing my normal Rubber Queen UST Black Chilli 2.2’s on. They were fine – so I never changed them!

Speeder

I am 6ft 2 and 17 stone

With those specs double wall Maxxis as wide as your bike will take (though 2.5 rather than 2.7) in whatever flavour suits the conditions. Super Tacky F&R unless you’re a skidder then I’d go 60 on the back. They’re well proven and while there may be better tyres they’re unlikely to compete on price. They’re all classics.

kudos
    Free Member

I used Ultremo ZXs 😉

They were good enough for a 2nd Strava KOM on the descent from Alvoriaz to Morzine.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Last 2 trips to the Alps I’ve run a dual ply minion on the back and an Exo single ply on the front. Didn’t puncture either time.

tweedviper
    Free Member

Totally chuffed with all the comments Big thanks all

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which tyres for Morzine alps’ is closed to new replies.