Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which tyres for A roads?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Well just to spin the annoying what-tyres questions further – I need 2 new tyres up front on my estate. The current tyres have 6mm of tread left, yet both have bulged and started collapsing internally (shake them and they rattle!) and one has stripped a 1×6" section of rubber right to the fabric in a week. They're just collapsing. Cheapo "Doublestar" rubbish the previous owner put on before selling 18 months ago.

So I refuse to compromise on safety and I'm looking for some GOOD tyres, especially ones that grip well in the wet as these were shockingly poor in the wet. I've been looking at the performance expensive ones but they seem to get fairly mixed reviews, however vredstein sportrac 3s and the old mid-range toyo proxywhatsit T1-Rs seem to be well rated across the board. Anyone any further advice? The eco-tyres seem to sacrifice wet grip for fuel economy due to harder compounds.

Also, anyone used anyone like blackcircles? When I've chosen my tyres I dont want to have to ring 10 different places to find which stock which etc, it'd be nice to organise to have them fitted and just turn up.

GrahamS

Panaracer Fire XCs?

stevehine

Where are you / what car / wheel size ?

I've previously had good experiences with Pirreli P5000 / P6000 and also Goodyear Eagle F1's – however the current Michelen's have only done about 6k and they are almost down to the wear indicators – not good !

Smee
    Free Member

supertacky minions.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Graham – I think they'd grip better than "doublestar" tat!

Smee – I'd like supertacky somethings! Do they come in 195 55 15? 😀

steve – Glasgow, 306 HDi, 195/55/15s (stupid rare size!)

I've heard P6000 have the nickname "ditch hunters" in the 306 world, but I have heard wonderous things of the F1s. My personal faves on my other car have been federal SS595s after having tried conti rainsports and uniroyal 540s were pretty good, the 540s were exceptional in the wet. But I've not tried any on this car and it seems they may handle differently between vehicles and profiles.

billybob
    Free Member

toyo proxies keep my car pointing in roughly the right direction.

stevehine

yeah; F1's would probably be my pick for a tyre that size on a 306 – I can only say good things about them; though I did have an issue with cracking on one of mine; it was replaced FOC despite having done ~8000 miles; which is a first for me !

No idea about black circles; never used 'em.

willej

I recommend etyres.co.uk.

I can also recommend Toyo T1-Rs, had some on my Impreza and they were excellent. I've also had good experiences with Contis and Goodyears but what ever you do stay away from Pirellis!

stumpy01

Vredestein Hi-Tracs….used to have them on my Fiesta, they lasted ages & gripped well in the wet & the dry. They won the Auto Express tyre test a few yrs ago 2 years in a row.
    http://www.camskill.co.uk have got them for £58. I have recently ordered tyres from there & they turned up in 3 days (including the day I ordered them).
    They also have the tyres that I have just bought from them in your size – Kumho KU31s. Seriously under-rated tyre. Again, they last well & grip well in the wet & dry…..and I almost can't believe how cheap they are for your size……£39.50!! Seriously, they are great tyres. Don't be put off by that price.
    Last set on my Ibiza (1.9TDi with gobs of torque) lasted 30k miles.

hot_fiat

p6000s are terrible tyres specced as oem by a collection of manufactuers who should know better.

I'd vote for vredesteins – either ultrac or sportracs. Cheap, stunningly grippy in all conditions & hard wearing.

Eagle f1s are great too, but expensive.

Marge
    Free Member

p6000s are terrible tyres specced as oem by a collection of manufactuers who should know better

Tyre manufacturers OE supply is only inline with what the OE has specified. Do not confuse the tyre that comes on the car with all tyres of the same size / brand / pattern!!

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Vredestein – amazing. All types are damn fine.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

also look at tyres from Falken and Maxxim – have had these upfront on our Saab 9-5 – and have been good grippy tyres (both wet and dry) with good wear rates. (got 20,000 miles of hard driving out of the Falkens – in a car known for wearing the fronts quick)

Hairychested
    Free Member

I've bought Millenium tyres off the web, £198 for four all inc. Lovely stuff for a Pug 406 1.9td est.
    THESE

surfer
    Free Member

I've used Blackcircles a few times and they are fine however make sure you choose a good local garag.
    I took the wifes Alfa in for a tyre replacement to a garage a few miles down the road and they scratched the Alloys. The mechanics looked like a scene out of planet of the apes! I didnt complain!
    Just wouldnt use them again! Blackcircles were fine though

cp

i've got michelen premacy on my subaru legacy – and in the wet on a dual carriageway the other day they pulled up sharpish without a hint of ABS when i spotted a buttie van in a lay-by.

we really did pull up sharpish!!!

stumpy01

lol @cp! Ability to stop in an emergency? – check!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Some grand tips there thanksyou all, I'll report back on the final choice and pricing when fitted!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which tyres for A roads?’ is closed to new replies.