Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which trail is best (marin/penmachno/thebeast)?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hi,

Going riding tomorrow in Wales and was thinking about doing either the Penmachno or the Marin trail (which would you recommend out of these two?)

But then I saw they were only 22km longish

Then I read about a trails called The Beast at Dolgellau which is a fair bit longer.

Which would you recommend out of these three?

Also, are they way marked or is it worth taking a map

Ta

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

FWIW I prefer Penmachno. It just has a more natural feel to it, especially loop 2, which has a lovely long singletrack. Not technically difficult, but good to ride, with a feeling of being rather remote. The last two sections are especially good.

(I'm probably wrong though!)

sc-xc

^ I agree

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I saw a review of the Marin/Penmachno trails and the Penmachno was rated higher but it did mention lots of fireroad sections?

Whats The Beast like?

singlespeedstu

Do the Marin fist then Penmachno after.

activeDuty
    Free Member

^I agree also.

You can easily manage Penmachno and Marin in a day with a reasonably early start. Or do Penmachno then have a play at Llandegla on the way back as a contrast, with something to eat in the cafe there.
    You don't need a map.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Marin/Penmachno combo sounds good.

I've been to llangdegla before, dont fancy that again

whytetrash

Beast is the best trail, then Pen and Marin in that order, all well marked out, Beast and Marin will be drier on Sunday as Pen holds more water.

what are you like fitness wise as doing both Pen amd Marin will be 4.5 hrs plus riding, beast about 3.5 hrs

mossmaned
    Free Member

come to Scotland!

gst
    Free Member

Hello

Done Penmachno last Sunday. Whytetrash is right about the water. Took us about 2.5 hours do get round with a few stops (waiting for the mrs) It's longer than 22km though. I had it at 17 mile ~ 27km.

lowey

Penmachno.

nickc

Did Marin and Penmachno in a day a couple of years back. Make an early start if you're going to do both, especially this time of year. Marin is old school, fire road broken up with singletrack sections, bit tame for long travel bikes these days, but still a good XC fast blast through the woods, last couple of descents are still some of the best around, you'll leave on a high. Penmachno has a more natural feel, but same kind of gig as Marin.

Dobbo

Done Penmachno last Sunday.

May have seen you, were you in a group of 6-8?

BigJohn

The beast at Coed Y Brenin is a proper course. Much better than either of them. Its hard and rocky and after a while you say "Oh no – not another perfect downhill rocky singletrack section"

Miss out the long fire trail after the cafe and short cut to the top of the Adams Family bit.

midgebait
    Free Member

In the order 1. Penmachno, 2. The Beast, 3. Marin trail for me and Mrs Midgebait agrees.

Enjoyed the more natural feel and the feeling of (relative) isolation.

whytetrash

Big John's right about the Beast short cut, stop at the cafe half way round and ask somebody, but it's quite easy to see, misses out some pointless fireroad stuff…forecast is minging for tomorrow mind… till midday anyway

Nickc last descents on Marin cut up a lot in the last year, due to DH lads "sessioning" them I reckon long travel bikes just fine now, though a pain on those looong fire road climbs!

midgebait
    Free Member

I forgot about the cafe on the Beast. Make that the Beast no. 1!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ta guys. Sounds like it might be the beast then since we may not be starting till 11/12ish.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

My local trails (sort of). If I had to pick 1 to do it would by CYB and the Beast with out doubt. Its the longest but has the most to offer. I really love both the Marin and Penmachno. As has been said Pen is a great trail (although the new loop is a bit XC for me, I can however see why some people love it). Its only disadvantage is its very exposed in places and on a really wet (like tomorrow) or windy (a bit like tomorrow)day its not much fun, as I've heard it described "its like being power washed for 2.5 hours". The Marin is the oldest man made trail in the UK (I think) and its age does show in places, in that there is a bit to much fire road and the downs arn't as flowy in places, but…. I think everyone will agree the last 3 decents are brilliant and there ar 2 or 3 in the middle that are very good, its also (like the Beast) more enclosed in the forest so much much better than Pen on a shit day. IMO.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Well we rode The Beast on saturday and the weather held off till the end. Thought it was a good route although there seemed to be far to many climbs for the amount of descending that we did.

Think it took us about 3hours 15 mins with a few short stops and I wasnt too tired by the end of it. Reckon we could have managed Marin/Penmachno but glad we did The Beast.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which trail is best (marin/penmachno/thebeast)?’ is closed to new replies.