Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which towbar mounted cycle carrier?
  • mboy
    Free Member

New car has a decent towbar fitted already… Hooray! Anyway, for carrying 2, possibly 3 bikes on, a couple of which have unconventionally shaped frames (my Maverick, and my Giant Reign X) so will probably need to be held by the wheels rather than frame spars…

What would you recommend?

joeegg
    Free Member

I use a Thuile 4 bike one which has a mounting plate permanently bolted to the towbar through the 2 bolts.You can still continue to tow with it on if needed.The rack is really strong and taking it on and off is easy.
    I have a Reign and it goes on no problem.

stumpyjon

Get a Thule one, expensive but worth the money. It’s better and easier if the bikes are supported by the wheels.

Latest Singletrack Videos
    mboy
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Christ those top end Thule ones are expensive! Over £400 on a rack!

Probably looking at something more like the 9502 I reckon, as close to £100 as possible, and not likely to need the ability to take more than 2 bikes at a time I don’t think.

druidh
    Free Member

Expensive? Depends on whether or not you’re likely to be hanging several grands worth of bike on them. I mean, if all you have is a couple of Tescos specials, then why pay more than £100?

steveh

http://www.aistoncycleracks.co.uk I’ve had pendle, thule and these and will now only use the aiston. Website is very basic but give the guy a call, he’s really helpful.

bruneep

wot steveh said

Andituk
    Free Member

I’m with druidh, if you’re going to be sticking several £k of bikes to it and then traveling at 70mph, then a good rack is a good investment imo.

mboy
    Free Member

Expensive? Depends on whether or not you’re likely to be hanging several grands worth of bike on them. I mean, if all you have is a couple of Tescos specials, then why pay more than £100?

I know what you’re saying, but I’d prefer to spend money on the bikes, rather than the car and any gear to get them to the trail, if you get me. Not that I’ve got any money at the moment anyway, I’m bloody brassic pretty much! Just had to borrow £2k off my old chap to get a new car, as my Passat seized its engine 2 weeks ago now.

And just as spending £4k on a mountain bike doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the best thing since sliced bread, where some sub £1k bikes represent excellent performance and VFM, I’m sure that it’s the same with most other things too…

steveh, cheers for that link, they look good! Will investigate some more…

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I recently bought the thule 9403 from halfords. £140.

Having gone from a boot mounted rack to this towbar one I cannot recommend it enough. worth every penny

joeegg
    Free Member

My towbar mounted Thuile was less than 90 quid off the internet.
    Its not the one where the wheels sit in a channel but the type where you slide the bikes on.I’ve been all around Europe with 2 bikes on it with no problems.You can get lighting boards cheap as well.

MarkN
    Free Member

+1 on the Halfords 9403. Surprisingly this was the cheapest source when I was looking.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which towbar mounted cycle carrier?’ is closed to new replies.