• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ontor.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which tough windshirt?
  • alric
    Free Member

Finally got a hole in my old Parrot windshell so I need to replace it or find a tape I can repair it with
    It’s been good to me and survived a lot of crashes, the new ones I’ve seen seem much thinner and fragile
    Whats good these days?

Looking at some Dare2B ones on ebay, is this Ared V02 10000 polyester 4-way stretch fabric going to get torn up easily?

I want another light packaway one that doesnt cost a lot

rene59
    Free Member

The Paramo Fuera Smock is heavier duty than most others and can be had for £40-£50. Probably my favourite top for hill walking and MTBing in. It is a bit heavier and looser fitting than some of the other makes though if that concerns you.

http://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-in/explore-range/product/?pk=22538762-164A-4879-908B-E7FF81D04D83

A lighter, cheaper option is the Keela Neutronic, got one of these also but only really take it with me on the hottest of days when the Paramo above can be too much.

http://www.keela.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/300/s/neutronic-smock-jacket/category/17/

tallmart10

he he I’ve got one of those Parrot pertex windshells too. Utterly bombproof although it looks a touch 1980s – mainly cos that was when mine was made 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ElShalimo
    vondally
    Free Member

Buffalo

RobinL

I’ve still got two of the Parrot windshells, one green and one 90’s purple. The Green one is in the backpack for most rides – the purple one I daren’t wear anymore ! 😀

Made far too well, probably why they went out of business ! Just lasted too long.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

+1 for the paramo fuera.

I got rammed off my bike last year.

Nasty abrasion to my elbow that still nips.

But the fuera ascent windproof was unscathed apart from collecting a lot of road tar en-route.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Another one for Buffalo.

ontor
    Free Member

Buffalo!

chiefgrooveguru

The heavier Paramo windproofs are ridiculously tough, much tougher than Buffalo’s pertex windshirts. But the Buffalo will still last an age short of big crashes.

The Paramo Enduro is a great improved Fuera but you pay for it!

alric
    Free Member

How is the Paramo hood? Does it flap around a lot?
    I wore my parrot on the motorcycles too. Is there much room for body armour? Are the sizes regular?
    Do the zips last?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@alric

First of all, I’ve got two fuera ascents, one in red and a fluro yellow one. Got em cheap in sales…paramo xtras on eBay.

Compared to my old 3rd element waterproofs. the sizing is more generous, especially around the waist.

They’re sizing is much more akin to the quito without a pump liner.

I think they’re guaranteed against manufacturing defects so shouldn’t worry about zips.

The hoods big enough to go over a bicycle helmet comfortably.
    It’s got a wire stiffener at the brow and cinch cords.

Some observations;

The xxl fuera ascent is still much bigger than my altura waterproof in xxxl!

The fluro yellow fuera ascent seems to be made of a stretchier material (like the gamex? of yore), compared to the red one.

Keep an eye on paramos eBay shops. Sometimes they knock 15 percent off the price. So you might pick one up for £35 or so.

alric
    Free Member

noone tried the Dare2b ones?

A lighter, cheaper option is the Keela Neutronic, got one of these also but only really take it with me on the hottest of days when the Paramo above can be too much.

So how tough is the Neutronic?
    I am wondering if theParamo will be too warm

rene59
    Free Member

The Nuetronic is very lightweight, similar to the lightweight Pertex windshield material. I wouldn’t call it tough compared to the Paramo.

For me, a windshirt gets put on and taken off again depending on conditions, on a cooler day the Paramo will be on all day MTBing, but when its sunny and warm it stays in my bag until I am doing a descent or the wind chill gets me up on a ridge.

alric
    Free Member

How isthe paramo sizing?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Rohan are also worth a look.

I’ve had one of their windproofs for 12 years. Still going strong.
    It’s in black, so no use on the bike:)

ontor
    Free Member

Seriously buddy, the buffalo windshirt is amazing. I have two. One is 20 years old and still does regular service. The paramo is good but thicker and less good on the bike. I wear mine for trailbuilding.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which tough windshirt?’ is closed to new replies.