Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which tool for shimano chainrings?
  • Bazz

Just attempted to replace my worn chainrings on my XT chainset (M770) and the chainring bolts are not hex keys, which has me stumped as all the ones i’ve changed before, including shimano ones, have been. It looks as though it’s a star drive type shape but definitely bigger than disc rotors.

Anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

milko9000
    Free Member

One of these things?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-chainring-nut-wrench-cnw2/rp-prod14305

Other similar products are available, but I think that’s the one I ended up with.

creamegg
    Free Member

some are torx I think

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robgclarkson
    Free Member

Torx bolt, no?

andytherocketeer

T30?
    Not sure of exact size, but was a standard Torx bit from the toolbox.

Bazz

Ahh.. Torx bolts, is that what they are called! typically the only one i own is for disc rotor bolts, looks like a trip to Wickes then. Thanks.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I’ve done mine with a T30 but there’s a little more play than in other T30 fittings – not sure what Shimano have done.

cp

it’s just a bigger Torx bolt than the disc brakes ones.

buy a Torx key set and you’re sorted.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

it’s either T30 or maybe T32 Torx

andytherocketeer

Dunno what torque they use in the factory either, but mine were “pretty damn tight”.

Torx is ace. Won’t round out like Hex bolts.

Fortunately happened to have a socket set with a handful of Torx bits, rather than just the usual T25.

JoeG
    Free Member

I think that Shimano uses a threadlock compound; that’s why it takes so much force to break the fasteners free.

cp

Torx is ace. Won’t round out like Hex bolts.

I don’t find it any different really, they still round out.

rayyoung
    Free Member

Mixing hex and torx on a bike is a pain, just means another tool to carry.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I don’t find it any different really, they still round out. “

get the correct tools then.

with a propper fitting torx key (i suggest wera) the fixture can take much more torque than hex key.

on this note – hex plus from wera – AWESOME , much tighter fit in hex bolts than even my bondhaus keys.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Don’t bother with Wickes – take this as an opportunity to get a nice park tools fold up allen / torx tool.

gogg
    Free Member

Either a CNW-2 or one of these cyclo chain nut tools and a Shimano Torx Triple wrench or the Park Tool Folding Torx set

Any combination of those tools should see you right (unless you buy two sets of Torx!)
    😉

Northwind

Like above, a T30 feels really slack in these, it does the job but it never feels like the right size to me. But I have no T32.4s or whatever it may be.

cp

get the correct tools then

same applies to hex bolts – I’ve never rounded a hex bolt with my decent Teng ball ended T-handle set, or for that matter my Topeak Alien multitool, but have with cheap hex keys.

trail_rat
    Free Member

after a little more research

i believe the shimano bolts to be a t30 torx PLUS fixing – there is a difference. BUT they are cross compatible with torx head keys – but there will be slop – says the specification for torx plus.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which tool for shimano chainrings?’ is closed to new replies.