Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Which Ti frame (recommend one)
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t buy that at all I am afraid, that’s like saying that, say, Raleigh make better bikes than Specialized or Yeti because they have been doing it longer, nonsense..

singlespeedstu

I have a Litespeed Obed & like it very much. Best makes are Lynskey, Moots, Merlin & Litespeed. The other makers just havent been building Ti as long & dont have the experience or the heritage.

There’s a few more quality Ti builders out there than that. Maybe you should look into things a bit longer. 😉

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i disagree with mtt,
    different materials give different rides ime.
    i’ve changed the exact same kit between a carbon ht, and an alu one. and 2 friend runs damn near the same thing (i don’t think different hubs on the same rims/tires is much difference) on a steel and a scandium frame. they all ride different.

SimonD
    Free Member

Trust me dude these guys have been in the business longer than anyone else. Im not saying there arent other builders, I am saying that these guys have been doing it the longest & probably have the most experience – Ti is VERY hard to work with, go ask a welder if your not sure. Oh & ps comparing Raleigh (steel/alloy – low ish end bikes) to say Litespeed (Ti – high end hand made bikes) doesnt really work does it? Its hardly like for like..

jamestreg
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought a Litespeed Ocoee 2009 frame and built it up it with the kit from my Scale. Is it better…..its different, very compliant when hammered over rough ground and up short steep climbs. It has a very taught rear end not too flexy….dare I say it a bit like aluminium!! Sizing is good but headset tube is long for a race bike. I love it though!!

singlespeedstu

I’m quite aware of how hard Ti is to work with.

Just that there’s quite a few builders out there that are also very experienced in what they do.

BTW I also own/have owned a few Ti frames from some of the bigger players. 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Oh & ps comparing Raleigh (steel/alloy – low ish end bikes) to say Litespeed (Ti – high end hand made bikes) doesnt really work does it? Its hardly like for like..

Raleigh made some VERY nice ti Hardtails back in the mid 90’s, so you can’t really say that necessarily!

(though in fairness, they might have been made by Litespeed, or someone else, and stickered up as Raleigh)

simply_oli_y – Member

i disagree with mtt,
    different materials give different rides ime.

Different materials DEFINITELY make a significant difference. I’ve owned a few ally hardtails and hated them all except for a 97 S Works M2 that I had. Have had a couple of steel hardtails which ride MUCH nicer, definitely more lively, more forgiving, just generally nicer to ride. And had a ti bike, but found it too flexy, so sold it shortly after buying it.

Of course, you can make a flexy ally bike, or a silly rigid steel or ti one, if you want. But GENERALLY, ally frames are stiffer, steel a bit more forgiving/flexy, and titanium more forgiving/flexy again.

And also, steel frames are generally the heaviest, ally frames in the middle, and ti the lightest. Litespeed make a road bike frame that comes in under 2lb FFS!

So if you’re comparing Apples with Apples (ie. similar frame design, different materials) then the material will make a significant difference. It’s just how much you notice it, and whether you’re prepared to pay the price, that counts!

For me, Steel is the material of choice for an HT. Titanium just doesn’t justify itself when I won’t notice the extra pound in frame weight as I’m not an XC racer.

SimonD
    Free Member

Its horses for courses like you say – I wanted a bike that I knew would last so I went for a Ti from a reputable make (I didnt want to pay a lot of money for a Ti frame & then have it break) so I went for Litespeed (with a lifetime warranty) . It was that simple.

My view is this: you get what you pay for. If I have a problem with say the boiler in my place Im not going to get some fresh-faced lad with a fistful of NVQ’s in his hand to fix it, no Ill get the plumber with a few more years of experience under his belt.

sandieshaw
    Free Member

Titus Eleven frames are worth a look,stopped making them in 2007. Fat tread bikes in Aviemore still have a few left, the have them on sale at £800. I think they also have a 2008 Racer X titanium frame left as well, think it is a small.

Give Martin a call on 01479-812019, he is very helpfull.

judderman
    Free Member

No mention of Charge Duster Ti? Recently got 10/10 in WMB. More forgiving and comfortable than my old Zaskar frame, but hav’nt had it that long to get ‘feel’ for it.

Coasting
    Free Member

Well ive had four Ti hardtails and for my money my current Soul rides better than any of them

njee20
    Free Member

SimonD, do you know what you’re talking about?…

What about Seven? Not a good manufacturer? You realise they were 7 of the original Merlin employees?

Titus? If you sent your cracked Litespeed to be repaired, it was done by Titus, Litespeed didn’t repair their own frames. Not sure if that’s still the case, but it certainly was a couple of years ago.

Your listed brands have the heritage, and are excellent certainly, but that’s far from a definitive list.

edd

I rode about 10,000 off-road miles on my (Ti) Airborne Lancaster before this happened:

I now ride a steel Deluxe. I’m obviously a heathen but I cannot tell the difference in ride quality. They do both ride differently but that’s down geometry/ fit I certainly would not say that there’s a mystical property to titanium that makes it have amazing ride properties.

druidh
    Free Member

That looks awfully like someones seatpost has been too short

edd

The seatpost was plenty long enough, well below the bottom of the top-tube/ seat-tube intersection. However the seatpost insert (the bit the frame manufacturers install to get added strength around said junction) ended exactly where the crack is.

You can see the other side here:

SimonD
    Free Member

njee – never said it was definitive (just my opinion) & yes thanks I do know what Im talking about, nice of you to ask.

vadar
    Free Member

A BIG THANKS to you all for your advice …

After taking everything into account im gonna go for a nice steel frame..Not a ti, as i really cant agree paying the extra bucks for something that is gonna get smashed up a fair bit.(ie looking at my old chameleon)
    So cheers again !

Yes i am a spoon

Clink

….so what nice steel frame are you getting?????? ❓

loddrik
    Free Member

Here’s what happened to my Lancaster, though it was most definately down to the previous owner riding with an inch of post in the frame…

njee20
    Free Member

never said it was definitive (just my opinion)

Not really, your post was rather blunt, still, if you wanted a raise off people who clearly aren’t titanium gods like you, mission accomplished.

yes thanks I do know what Im talking about, nice of you to ask

Worth checking, it didn’t really sound like it!

Ti MTBs have had their day, ti road bikes have more of a place for that ‘bike for life’ crowd, who want their bike to still look perfect in 20 years time. That’s bugger all use on an MTB where it’ll be totally obsolete in half that, and you’ll be left looking for old bits to keep it running.

It’s generally heavier than carbon, or light and flexy as ****, and seemingly not as indestructible as ‘they’ (whoever they are) would have you believe. Also interesting that most of the failures here are pretty major!

The ti Racer-X is heavier than the alu one, as is the Litespeed Niota. So… heavy or flexy, expensive, may have some amazing ride quality, but may not!

Having ridden various ti bikes over the years I’d say they do have a softail-esque feeling, but it’s probably mainly psychological, but I personally find it makes the bike feel more vague than anything else, maybe it comes from liking very light carbon race bikes, which are probably a harsher, stiffer, more direct ride.

Aaah well, different strokes and that…

singlespeedstu

loddrik.

That crack has undoubtably been caused by the extra strain of that ghey gear cable. 😯 😉

Simon your Ti experience seems to be limited to the one frame you’ve owned.

Try a bit harder at Ti ownership. 😉

harvey
    Free Member

the guy i ride with has a titanium frame with exactly the same damage as above two . he had the seatpost too far out .
    is there any hope of repair / welding ? anybody tried ?

timdrayton
    Free Member

just wondering wether my new seattube is too short, in my lancaster frame….. bugger

if i have it at the perfect length, it is bang on the minimum insertion point, which is 80mm btw

it sits in the frame with the bottom of the tube about 5 mm below the top tube weld….. ie it clears the whole top tube by about 5mm

your thoughts?

timdrayton
    Free Member

this is what it looks like

harvey
    Free Member

i would look for a longer seapost !

singlespeedstu

I’d want at least an inch bellow the bottom of the toptube to be safe.

TheGingerOne

I had a Mark 2 steel Inbred and moved over everything onto an original Ti Geared Inbred and there is a world of difference between how the two bikes felt and rode from what are pretty similar frames designs.
    The Tinbred is far more comfortable and feels sprightly in comparison and it is certainly not a physchological difference.

andywhit
    Free Member

Personally I always add contingency in such areas and would have the seatpost sitting an additional 5cm or so lower in the downtube than the minimum limit.

njee20
    Free Member

See my reply on your new thread Tim, if there’s an internal sleeve, just make sure your seatpost reaches the bottom of that! If not, then just get as long a post as you possibly can! If you want a really nice superlight tarty carbon or alu post, drop me a line 🙂

Wally

Did what njee20 suggested
    Measure depth of internal sleave on Ti456

convince myself this is well below any tubes.

Then measure this length on seatpost and notice it is well above MIN mark, mark with tipex.

seemed sensible to me.

loddrik
    Free Member

I now ride a 400mm Thomson post on the Van Nic, as advised by VN, not taking any chances, even if I do have the lifetime warranty to fall back on…

Wally

With the 330mm post very little is hanging out the bottom of the sleave. Why would 70mm hanging out the bottom help?

loddrik
    Free Member

How much does the extra 70mm weigh?, Not much I should imagine so why not 400mm

timdrayton
    Free Member

damn damn damn, i have just fitted the bloody thing, its brand spanking, fitted up to its minimum insertion point it is still 30mm shorter than internal sleeve.

i ordered a 350mm they (fatbirds) sent a 300mm in error without me noticing, whats the likelihood of them swapping it out, considering its now got hefty insertion marks below the minium line?

Wally

Where is Brant when you need him?
    CRC must have him working hard already.
    Must admit an extra 70mm would weigh naff all, but post is 330mm and sits just below the internal sleeve and would rather not ditch a very good post for no real reason.

Andy

Tim

I run a pretty high seatpost on an older lancaster see pic below, but having said that its a 400mm carbon seatpost which I believe (probably wrongly knowing me) takes some of the impacts that would damage the frame. i have owned the frame for about 3 years IIRC.

Still I’d go back to fatbirds and suggest they replace the seatpost!

njee20
    Free Member

If it’s sleeved internally there’s absolutely no advantage to having more seatpost hanging out the bottom- it’s just floating around in the tube being all heavy and pointless!

If it’s not, then you may as well have as long a seatpost as possible, so the tube’s better supported.

brant
    Free Member

The issue, from the feedback I have had from Lynskey, is that due to titaniums flexibility, running more than an inch an a half of extension above the top tube is going to cause problems.

That is actually why we curved the top tube on the 456. To normalise standover height, yet, let us put the top tube to the seat tube a little higher – the curve was needed as otherwise standover would be (a bit) higher.

Also, on the Ti 456 we used a shimmed (internal) 34.9mm post, not a skinny one.

Andy

For info; just had a look and I have 160mm of seat post inside the tube, no internal sleeve, 27.2 seatpost. So thats a fair bit even with the long post and 14st giving a fair bit of leverage. Still just as well as I’m not exactly able to do much about it even if it is an accident waiting to happen.

Interestingly on your point Brant my ’98 Kona 853 runs a 26.8 seat post (similar amount inside/out) and I swear there is a bit of a bend in the seat tube, But again its been there for 10 years so hey ho!

SimonD
    Free Member

@singlespeed – Im on my 3rd Ti frame, 1 was nicked the other is a road bike. Again I wanted a bike which was supple enough to ride on the smashed up country roads near me & something which would take said hammering.

@njee Most of the failures on here it seems to me have happened when folk have been doing something outside of the recommended specs. Plus if Ti Mtbs have had their day why are so many people making them?

At the end of the day its whatever makes you happy – Ive just ridden my Ti & love it, climbs like a goat & if I have the balls to let it will fly down the trails as fast as I want to go! Anyway nuff said Im off for a fish dinner with the missus.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Which Ti frame (recommend one)’ is closed to new replies.