Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which Ti bars for a rigid SS 29er? Or which bars?
  • goodlemon442
    Free Member

After some cushin’ for my singlespeed pushin’

Going rigid again, my forks and front wheel are in the classifieds for not daft money 🙂 (shameless plug, but seriously someone please buy…..)
    My front end setup will be:
    Fork- Salsa cromoto grande
    Bar- titanium something (or whatever you suggest)
    Grip- Esi Extra chunky
    Tyre- 2.4″ something (have used a chunky monkey and liked it) tubeless and barely above atmospheric pressure.

Looking at a set of bars from kingdom (760mm wide), look very nice and are good value. Is there anything else you guys would recommend?
    Doesn’t have to be titanium, but does have to be reasonably wide for thrutching up those long ass climbs, and flat, always flat.

Talk to me.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

On a similar subject, anyone know of any carbon bendy swept back bars that you can actually buy?

Something like a Ragley Carnegie or Answer XC 2020, but not out of print.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Salsa Cromoto’s are harsh, if you’re after comfort maybe consider swapping them for Singular forks.

Can’t comment on the rest, only that my EA70 flat bars (720mm?) are much more comfortable than my Salsa handlebars but don’t know how they fit into the grand scheme of things.

Yak

Your 2.4″ tyre and the Esi’s should give you all the comfort you need. Not sure how much more a fancy bar will add to this. I only have a lowly EA50 on my rigid bike and it’s fine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Comfortable bars do add some comfort regardless of anything else, it’s different to the squish of tyres or grip, even my fat bike can feel bloody harsh at times with a stiff bar on.

Yak

I suppose I have always got on with the cheap EA50s and never thought to upgrade.
    But to counter that, my wife won an enve bar in a race and that noticeably flexs and feels very comfy to ride. *

So cheap as chips alu and get on with it….. or enve. 🙂

*but not so good that I would actually spend money on one. I mean, they are firmly in the ‘how much?’ realm of bike bits.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Haha, yea. I swapped the EA70’s back to the Salsa ones as I was dithering between bikes. I know they’re not as comfortable but I don’t ride any differently with them.

danti
    goodlemon442
    Free Member

bingo

kelvin

EC70 720mm flat bars on mine… recommended.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Jones H/Loop bar FTW, either Ti or carbon

sanername

@StefMcDef I have a set of Ragley Carnegie’s you can have for postage money (or collect in person if you’re in London). They’re the yellowy green ones.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If he doesn’t want them I’ve been after a pair (and in W.London)

Northwind

ESI extra chunky can be counterproductive because they’re so squishy, you end up having to squeeze them all the time and that can tire your hands.

Crank Bros Cobalt 11 bar is hilariously boingy, you can see the bar bend as you ride. I love mine on the fatbike, they’re be horrible on the big bike I think. Properly changed the ride, I went from hand cramps after a 3 minute descent, to soloing a 7 hour race without a twinge

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ESI extra chunky can be counterproductive because they’re so squishy, you end up having to squeeze them all the time and that can tire your hands.

I got some silicone grips off ebay posted from China for 99p to try as an alternative to my usual foam grips. I actually quite like them. They don’t feel as dense as ESI, more like a halfway between Ritchey foam and ESI’s, the (unsquished) diameter is about the same as normal grips.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Pair-Bike-Silicone-Anti-slip-Handlebar-Grips-For-Mountain-MTB-Bicycle-Cycling/382150995776

StefMcDef
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

If he doesn’t want them I’ve been after a pair (and in W.London)

Sorry Mr Spoons, just bitten the man’s hand off for them. Will let you know if it falls through for any reason.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Those carbon Carnegies are awesome. I’d have paid good money for those 😉 .

kimbers

OnOne knuckleball in chewy flavour

tazzymtb

780 wide big sold sweep and just enough flex to take the sting out, without being a terrifying Ti noodle of death

Ti versions available to buy, super niceprice alloy versions in the xmas/new year period

Carver MyTi bars were great (still available on ebay)

black sheep moountain moustache bars are also fab, if a wee bit flexy under a 13 stone chimp

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

+1 Kingdom

nedrapier

Taz, can you remember what weight/guage those carvers are? They feel pretty flexy, fine after you get used to it and definitively comfy, but a bit weird to start with. Don’t know if that’s just Ti, or if they’re the lightweight versions?

tazzymtb

They are the weight weenie one ned

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which Ti bars for a rigid SS 29er? Or which bars?’ is closed to new replies.