Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which tandem?
  • hebdenbiker
    Free Member

Hi, I am looking for a used tandem for myself and my fairly tall kids. Any tips as to where to look? We had a Viking when they were small and it was OK but heavy, basic and now a bit small. Thanks

Slogo
    Free Member

get kinetics in glasgow to make you one!

richpips
    Free Member

What’s your budget?

hebdenbiker
    Free Member

There is a fair chance that the kids won’t actually use it much so I want to keep the cost to a minimum. Been looking at stuff on ebay but wary of bidding on anything unseen.

sportsnapper
    Free Member

Experience from my hunting for an off road tandem last year, then Ebay is the main source – and often bargains can be had as couples buy a tandem then don’t get on with it! The Tandem club have a buy sell board, but tend to be the more expensive examples. I got lucky and need up contacting someone in the UK through a US forum – but it’s really hit and miss. JD tandems occasionally get used tandems – but really depends on what you’re looking for.

neilthewheel

If you want to keep cost to a minimum you might have to go for another Viking. SometImes you migHt find a Dawes at a sensible price.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Try searching for a KHS Tandamania Alite. There are a few floating around the UK and are a good lightish starter tandem for light off-road. It has a rigid fork though and a 1 1/4″ headtube which could make it difficult to swap to a suspension fork. I bought one a few years back on ebay………..expect to pay upwards of £400. JD Tandems imported several(60 I think)of the last ones made, and built them up.

timber

Asked and found ours on here.
    An old Dawes Double Edge, with Marz DJ.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

There’s a tandem group on FB. I found it through he who should not be named. I’ll see if I can do a linky, don’t wait up.

nbt

Tandem group on FB is here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154109784785958/?ref=bookmarks

As above, I got an old dawes off here, then promptly spent twice as much adding big forks and big brakes and (eventually) a thudbuster seatpost.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

A suss seapost at the back is always appreciated. The engine can’t see what’s coming, and the frames seem stiffer.

mt
    Free Member

hebdenbiker

Have a really nice Cannondale tandem for sale, NBT has seen it on the tandem weekend at the Dales Bike Centre a couple of years ago. Back in the day it was a bit of a head turner. Due to injury we can now not use it so would be happy to sell it at fair and reasonable price (not silly money) to anyone who can use it.

email in profile.

hebdenbiker
    Free Member

mt
    Thanks for that. I tried to contact you but I can’t see your email in your profile. Mine is in my profile so hope to have contact with you soon.

Thanks everyone for replies so far.

mt
    Free Member

@hebdenbiker

just sent you an email (i think).

ontor
    Free Member

@mt Did you sell the tandem?

hairybiker84
    Free Member

We have a Cabbondale that we want to sell, looking for £650 for it – if that’s withing your budget happy to provide specs and pics. Based near Reading, Berkshire.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which tandem?’ is closed to new replies.