Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Which Superstar pads?
  • Mugboo

Which superstar pads?

Organic, Kevlar or sintered?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Red.

Lummox

Have used sintered in all conditions and rate them highly, just trying Kevlar but borked the first pair on the downhill uplift because I didn’t bed them in first.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

i would go for black, i tried red in france and they were rubbish no power at all

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

i would go for black, i tried red in france and they were rubbish no power at all

Eh.?

Loads of power. Shite loads in fact.

spooky_b329

Red/Kevlar.

Only cos they sent them through by mistake, since then I’ve ordered them on purpose 🙂

popartpoem
    Free Member

Sintered … they last much better than OEM & you’ll learn to love the damn squealing … just use the noise as an advanced warning system 😳

robsoctane
    Free Member

Red Kevlar, no power = rubbish set up.

Bed them in as usual. Using my red every day in woods & they are the best I’ve tried.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The cephalopod version.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Red are good. Loads of power and last ages. They do make odd noises though.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I got a set of sintered as spares, the backing plate is spray painted bronze/gold is that normally what they do?

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Just put some red/kevlar in my m4’s and to be honest I’m not that impressed. Bedded them in as per the instructions ie 20 hard braking runs to get some heat in them then apply water on the pads. When I tried them again (while there is still some water on them) they were bloody sharp. But when they are dry the stopping power is significantly reduced. The sintered pads from hope are far better IMHO.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

i ran the red ones in codes first set i put it down to me no bedding in well.

second set same as first but i was sure i bedded in well. I even changed the disk between sets as it seemed odd and i had a spare.

put in some black ones sorted lasted all week.

deviant
    Free Member

Got Superstar organic pads in my Shimanos at the moment, much better than the OE items i have to say.

steveh

I’ve also had issues with kevlar ones lasting no time at all. Sintered for me.

iggysport1
    Free Member

For the price of them, buy a pair of both sintered and kevlar, and decide when you have tested both pairs

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Forgot to mention on my op. My nephew who I ride with also had the same problems as me with the Kevlar pads. Since swapping to ss sintered all is well.

njee20
    Free Member

Never had problems with Kevlar, last well, loads of power.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’m running the kevlar pads at the moment. Performance is fine, however I’ve been disappointed with the longivety as they’ve lasted about half as long as I got previously with Avid or Clarks organic pads. Just bought some sintered ones to try when my last pair of kevlar wear out.

cakefacesmallblock

I’ve got sintered ones in at the moment, and earplugs. No matter what I do they howl like ‘ell, but stop the bike very well indeed.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Kevlar lasted 1 1/2 days in the Alps – just fitted some more here in the UK so will see how they cope here.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

For Shimano calipers I’ve used all 3 to the bone. The sintered are great (if noisy when wet), the organic ?(black) are as good as the shimano originals and the reds(kevlar) howl so much when wet that I cannot use them.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Kevlar=great
    I’ve got some sintered to try for when winter comes around

robsoctane
    Free Member

I’ve got to agree that my Kevlar pads do sqeel when wet, doesn’t bother me though. 🙄

I didn’t like the feel of the sintered pads, too on/off for me. They last well, 3 months of daily use & they looked no different. I will only use Kevlar now though as they’re the best.

devs
    Free Member

I have been disappointed with the life of the red ones. They do seem to work well but the 2 sets I have had went very quickly. Ok so one was on the Puffer and one on a very muddy 10UTB but the sintereds that replaced them lasted the same amount of laps plus a few months. I also have no noise problems with the sintereds, except on my Oros when it’s wet. The Hope M4s are quiet in all conditions. Strange huh?

bawbag
    Free Member

My Superstar Kevlar pads have just passed their 2 year birthday. Still plenty of life in them and that includes a lot of on and off-road miles.

When they finally wear out I’ll order some more.

montylikesbeer

kevlar every time, mine have lasted an age

Yetiman
    Free Member

The sintered pads in my M4’s and V2’s have been pretty damn good, certainly as good as the OEM pads, but I’ve just bought some kevlar M4 pads to try for a change. Hopefully they will be just as effective as the sintered ones.

bigjim

My Superstar Kevlar pads have just passed their 2 year birthday

that really probably is a world record for any disc pad, unless you aren’t riding much.

I’m trying the reds just now, don’t seem to be that different from the sintered in terms of power, not as good in the wet, and don’t seem to be lasting too well. myabe there was a bad batch or something.

michaelbowden

I’ve got some Organic’s in my Hope M4’s that are 2 years old, 2-3 rides a week, probably 4 trips to Wales and a trip to the alps. They squeel like a pig in the wet and don’t seem a strong braking force wise now, but still have plenty of life in them.

pedalhead
    Free Member

blimey, I’d donate those organics to science. Sounds like a miracle to me.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Kevlars in the alps and one pair lasted a week but the brand new disc was showing considerable signs of wear that I binned it.

Anyone else experiencing high disc wear with the kevlars?

njee20
    Free Member

I wore right through a set of Kevlars in a particularly grim race, ruined the (floating) rotors as I wore through the rivets, but the brake track was fine.

I’ve never had them squeal in Elixirs, Juicys or XTRs, wet or dry, and they last very well indeed. Quite strange!

jamescoulson
    Free Member

PaulGillespie – yes, did a set of rotors in a fortnight trip to the alps. We were predominantly running Kevlar pads. Also did a set of kevlar pads in one ride last year, but it was filthy wet and muddy conditions and I shouldn’t really have been using kevlars in the first place!

bigjim

don’t seem a strong braking force wise now

metal perhaps?!

Northwind

Kevlar’s the best allround pad I’ve ever used- doesn’t overheat like sintered, doesn’t wear out instantly in grit like organic.

You need to be careful breaking the kevlars in, they can be deceptive- most pads, you just keep on with the break-in process til they work, right? But kevlars will make good power almost immediately. Don’t stop! They’re not broken in, they need the exact same amount of breaking in as a sintered pad, even though they’ll feel like they’re sorted after just a few stops. They’ll wear out in no time if you stop as soon as they feel good.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

@ james, nice to know i’m not alone.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Which Superstar pads?’ is closed to new replies.