Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which supermarket that delivers?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Need to get sorted with a weekly groceries order

All the big chain vans seem to drive past so I’m assuming they will all deliver to us

Anyone tried more than one and found any to be superior?

Looks like I can get Tesco, Sainsburys, Ocado, etc.

acjim
    Free Member

Asda was poor, haven’t tried Tesco but Sainsburys have been v.good. I think the Tesco website is potentially better (has iphone apps etc)

alfabus
    Free Member

waitrose (note: not ocado).

they are awesome, and unnecessarily polite.

monkfish
    Free Member

I find Ocado pretty good. Very rarely have missing items and all the fresh stuff has long best before dates.

Normally with your first delivery there are Quidco savings to be had too.

ourmaninthenorth

+1 Waitrose.

Whilst I know they get stick for being pricey, I have to say that, out of the mainstream supermarkets, I don’t find them noticeably more expensive for like items and the quality of fresh produce tends to be better.

wwaswas

We did comparison shops on waitrose vs the others and they came up no more expensive.

Ocado are good if you want a lot of deliveries and use their £10/month option.

We stopped on Ocado as their own brand stuff wasn’t much cop and was edging out the waitrose stuff.

Tend to use Waitrose or Sainsburys now.

brassneck

Asda: Rubbish but cheap. It’s a lottery, some times you end up getting half your shopping for nowt as they screw up so much. I quite like the random element, best yet was beef mince for Quorn 🙂 I still usually end up with them though as they really are cheap.

Waitrose: Perfect but expensive. Used them on a couple of deals, but that was it.

Sainsburys: Like Waitrose, but suffered from not shopping there enough to know what to buy own brand of etc. Could be a decent I think.

Tesco: Probably the best. Usually very accurate, on time and reasonable prices on delivery and goods.

hp_source

Use Tesco pretty regularly, don’t have any grumbles, and their service has got better and better over the past few years. Must admit that other than bacon/sausage we tend to get out meat from the local butchers (through choice not because of a bad tesco experience).

spacemonkey

Ocado do a cracking job FME. I think we pay £7/month for ‘free’ delivery on any order over £40.

Occasionally have an item out of stock or replaced, but drivers are polite and decent, plus the food is generally very sound. No need to spend a fortune because Ocado and Waitrose Essentials are pretty good VFM.

alfabus
    Free Member

waitrose delivery is free for orders over £50 anyway – no need to tie yourself into their ‘pay to get it free’ ripoff. I’ve heard bad things about people being unable to get out of that ‘deal’ once they’re signed up.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Used Tesco and Sainsburys. Tesco is a bit cheaper and the service we get from them is superb. The nicest delivery drivers you could wish for, never any problems, phonecall if they’re going to be a bit late or to ask if they can come a bit earlier etc.

Oddly, the deliveries we get in Halifax come all the way from Burnley!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think it depends on your local area to be honest, as Sainsbury and Tesco use the local store that does delivery. Tesco used to be excellent for us in Sheffield but utter rubbish when we moved to Bradford.

We now use Ocado and get the ‘free’ delivery thing option. Had a couple of occasions when the delivery was late, but always got a phone call before to confirm they would be late and got a £10 voucher each time. One of the occasions we couldnt stay in for the delayed delivery so they delivered the next day at a time conveniant for us.

Other thing to bear in mind is the shopping experience. All a hard to setup at first ie it takes a long time, and you may order the wrong size etc. We find Ocado website the easiest to use.

The theres the smartphone apps. Sainsburys dont have one, Tescos is sh!t and very slow, Ocados is amazing. In fact we do most of our shopping using the Ocado app, rather than on the PC, you can create shopping list, and the most fun bit, zap bar codes to add to the order.

Just out of interest – why do people find Waitrose better than Ocado? Its the one we have never tried yet, but Ocado is pretty much Waitrose products anyhow.

alfabus
    Free Member

Ocado is waitrose products, but not waitrose service – it is no longer part of the partnership; they sold their share.

Ocado works with a big central depot and delivery vans going all over the country (I think they have some regional staging posts now too). Waitrose is done from the local stores.

Our Ocado experience was that they were often a bit late (and would apologise) and were always rushed to get teh stuff into your house so they can get out of there and on with the next delivery. Waitrose ALWAYS turn up on time, and seem in no hurry; they seem to bend over backwards to help you get the stuff into your house and will even help unpack if you ask them too. They are also ridiculously polite, to the point of me feeling bad that I don’t offer them a cup of tea.

The substitutions done by Waitrose have always been much more sensible for us – they replace things with a different brand, or a larger packet, and then they charge you for the cheaper one. If you’re not happy about anything, they don’t charge you (you still keep it).

We once had some tomatoes from waitrose which only kept for 2 days before going a bit mouldy – phoned them up and they refunded straight away.

The ‘free delivery’ from Ocado pisses me off too. It isn’t free, it is a con. You are locked in to a year’s worth of deliveries which you ARE paying for. What if you lose your job, or you decide that Ocado aren’t for you – you can’t change your mind, it’s like a mobile phone contract. Waitrose delivery is properly free if you spend more than £50 (which we always do because we don’t shop very often).

This is obviously all just my experience, but if you are in the delivery area for Waitrose, I don’t know why you would choose Ocado.

Dave

alfabus
    Free Member

i’m not the only one who doesn’t get on with Ocado:
    http://www.chrisgreen.co.uk/522/how-do-you-solve-a-problem-like-ocado/

donsimon
    Free Member

I tried this several times and neither Carrefour or Al Campo would deliver. Their loss.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Get off your bums and go yourself! 😆

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Tesco website is great, service less so, I rarely got everything I asked for. Sainsburys delivery is in more convenient slots and I generally got everything I was after or a very sensible substitute.

Mate of mine used to work for Tescos and said that the substiution process was done alphabetically so if you wanted bananas and they were out, there was a high chance you would get bleach instead.

the-muffin-man

Use them all – that way its 4+ weeks between using each company and they usually email you a discount voucher to use of your next order!

wwaswas

only issue with Waitrose is that it doesn’t remember your favourites.

spacemonkey

BTW, we’ve had to call Ocado customer service 2-3 times ref ‘bad’ items, e.g something gone off or crushed or whatever. They’ve been perfectly polite and provided a refund straight away.

Bedds
    Free Member

I have been using asda but their service has become appalling last week the driver turned up 10 mins before the booked slot, phoned me and explained that unless i could get there in 5 mins he would have to go. phoned the store and the people i spoke to were arses. not even an apology. i’ve binned them!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Tesco for us. Generally they are okay but sometimes we get really stupid packing issues, like the Tesco Direct catalogue being placed on top of a loaf of bread, or heavy bottles in the same tray as Weetabix (cue smashed up Weetabix).

The silliest substitute I found was when they were out of 8 packs of kitchen towels so gave us one 2 pack (and charged us the 2 pack price at a unit cost way higher than the 8 pack price).

If I am not 100% happy I email them and they have always refunded (like the Weetabix one above – it was a 48 pack and about 6 biscuits were demolished (which I told them) but they refunded for the whole box).

Ohh and Tesco are pretty good at texting to confirm more accurate delivery times these days (although I believe some already offer 1 hour windows as opposed to their 2 hour window).

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’ve used Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury’s and have stuck with the latter because there are rarely replacement products, they deliver promptly in the hour slot i’ve booked, and when i hurt my back they carried everything upstairs to my kitchen!

SvenT
    Free Member

Oddly, the deliveries we get in Halifax come all the way from Burnley!

That’s because the Burnley Tesco is about the size of the CRC warehouse.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Dave – might have a look at Waitrose, but notice they dont have an app.

Mrs FD set up the ‘free delivery’ might see how long we have left on it…

jonba
    Free Member

Sainsburies here for no particular reason. Free delivery over £100 so we probably only do an internet shop every month or so buying expensive and heavy/long life stuff.

When they’ve made mistakes (like billing us for 87 yoghurts) they’ve been quick to rectify the problem and are quite trusting if you say something wasn’t in the order.

cliffyc
    Free Member

It’s Asda for value/hey-ho.Tesco for reliability.

MoreCashThanDash

Occado for us – think for a fiver a month we get unlimited free delivery or something. Always on time, phone to say they are just round the corner, not as great a range as the others but not much more expensive, and the “own brand” stuff is much nicer!

tommytowtruck

We’ve found Ocado pretty good, generally deliver on time or slightly early. Drivers all polite though some more helpful than others. Had a delivery cancelled the other week but they delivered the day after and gave us £25 voucher as compensation. Price wise they seemed comparable to the rest. Asda were ok too. Wouldn’t use Sainsburys again as the only time we did the website was horrible to use and I will never get those hours of my life back!

colournoise

Sainsbury’s every week here. Used ASDA before and they were piss-poor on the whole (both for timing reliability – both early and late – and iffy substitutions). Sainsbury’s have been way more reliable and are pretty sensible on the substitutions.

Haven’t tried Tesco or Waitrose yet.

slainte 🙂 rob

andyl
    Free Member

Someone had some stuff delivered to mine for a large party from Tesco – lots of random swappages that were not well thought out.

Other half used to use Asda before I moved down who were okay apparently.

Personally I would use Waitrose and Sainsburys as that’s where I shop so I know what to expect from their meat, bread etc so would be happy to order it online.

Most of my experience with them is on the road and I think the way they drive says a lot about the service you can expect from the delivery point of view.

Tescos drivers I’ve seen are dreadful. See them reading at the wheel, cutting people up etc. Also not impressed with Ocado drivers lately. Asda and Sainsburys drivers both seem okay but Waitrose, as expected, are the most polite on the road.

To be fair to the others the Waitrose drivers probably get bigger time slots to make sure they get there on time and some of their customers are perhaps a bit ‘slower’ so they need to allow for more time.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I used Asda when I was laid up with a broken leg; haven’t bothered with any of them since the pot came off (Summer 2006). 2-3 days lead time, which is a bugger when you need something now

Where I live I’m within 10mins drive of 3x Morrisons, 1x Asda, 1 Sainsbury and 1 Co-op; 15 mins of 1x Tesco and half an hour of 1x Booths & 1x Waitrose. Plus any number of minimarkets.

You know what they say, “if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself”

Booths is the best for booze though. your own personal beer festival 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

Dad swears by Booths for deli counter type stuff and beer. Last Xmas he went to get the food for Christmas Day via public transport as his car was snowed in. I told him to wait until I got there (have winter tyres) but he insisted and made the mistake of going to Booths first and ended up buying bags of beer not being able to carry any food and had to get a taxi home. I went and got the food shopping when I got up there. 😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sad I know.. but was doing the weekly shop last night and thought I would try Waitrose for a change. What I noticed

Delivery slots are in 2 hour blocks, which is actually a bit of a pain.

Fruit & Veg is better than Ocado as you can buy loose veg rather than just bagged so it works out cheaper.

Alot of products were 10-20p more expensive for than the same product on Ocado. However I think because fruit & veg works out cheaper it balances out.

There is more choice of fresh products/fresh nice products.

I couldnt see any way of creating shopping lists or it keeping a list of past shopped items, but could be wrong as was my first attempt.

The website was slow compared to Ocado

After adding about £55 of stuff the website crashed!

So I gave up and went back to Ocado. We might try Waitrose again in January when out ‘free’ Ocado delivery runs out. Hopefully by then they might have an app too.

mrchrispy

The big draw for ocado is. the app, it’s very good and make the horror of food shopping that little bit easier.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which supermarket that delivers?’ is closed to new replies.