Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which sub £300 net book?
  • geoffj

After throwing my dolly out of the pram with my MacBook air, I’m in need of a net book to keep me working on my travels.
    We have a Samsung nc10 in the family which has been faultless, so I’m tempted by another Samsung, but what else is worth a gander?

geoffj

Bumpity bump – are there noticable differences between the atom processors?

http://www.ebuyer.com/282053-samsung-nc110-netbook-np-nc110-a03uk

Samsung NC110 Netbook
    – Intel Atom N570 1.66GHz
    – 1GB RAM + 320GB HDD
    – 10.1″ LED
    – Webcam + Bluetooth
    – Windows 7 Starter

ericemel
    Free Member

Does it have to be a netbook? I dont like them atoms – just not enough horsepower

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271033411452&clk_rvr_id=375913869737

geoffj

Does it have to be a netbook? I dont like them atoms – just not enough horsepower

It does what I need it to – browsing, email, basic word/excel/powerpoint editing. Ultrabooks are bit too expensive for what I’m going to use it for I think.

allthegear
    Free Member

What was the problem with the MacBook Air?

Stoner
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Acer aspire ones. long range battery packs give me 9hr. useable keyboard too. avoid ssd though.

geoffj

allthegear – Member

What was the problem with the MacBook Air?

It’s had the logic board replaced twice due to an inability to start up. When it came back from the menders the second time, it started shutting down for no reason.

It’s the 4th mac I’ve bought and the only one I’ve had problems with, but as I’m self employed and spend time on customer’s sites, I need something I have confidence in. I think I may punt it and swap it for a new MBP, but I’d still need something ultraportable for the guerrilla consulting side of the business!

Edit: I’ll have a look at the acers

nixie

Get a Asus transformer TF101 + dock (or later models but they might be over budget). Does everything a net book does with better battery life and you can always detach it from the keyboard dock and use as a tablet.

Joe

I am also not buying any more macs. Every single apple product i have invariably goes wrong. Apple’s customer service isn’t bad…but then it shouldn’t be for the price their products are. I really think their products have slipped and slipped.

No way are they worth the money.

AlexSimon

I decided a netbook was too restricted, so went for a 11.6″ 1366×768 laptop instead. It’s a little bit heavier but not too much bigger and it’s a complete PC that I can do anything on.

It’s a Lenovo x121e and I love the keyboard. But, the sub £300 comes with a AMD C50 processor which might not be enough for it (I got an i3 model and it’s about right).

Anyway – another to think about!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Would you consider another NC10? Got one in excellent condition up for grabs in a week or so…

geoffj

gs – probably not TBH unless it was very cheap ie sub £100

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which sub £300 net book?’ is closed to new replies.