Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which SS cog won’t knacker my hub?
  • Farticus

Contemplating doing a ss conversion, but a bit afraid of any cog biting into the hub. A while back I had a CK rear with a Cycle Dynamics cassette – well, collection of 9 Ti cogs, not really a cassette. A year later, I had 9 nice cogs and one chewed-to-bits CK hub. Result – a steel replacement shell.

Current hub is XTR, so I suspect a Ti shell. So is there any cog out there that won’t put a big groove in it? CK? Surly? Any others?

MrSmith
    Free Member

endless bike co.

singlespeedstu

You cant get much beter than Boone.

Nice wide base, deep teeth, Ti and a work of art. 😀

Farticus

Now they look just the ticket, they do. Where can you get them in the UK?

Farticus

Was referring to the Endless ones…but , mmmm, Ti. Where from, Stu?

fu_manchu
    Free Member

If hub is steel you “should” be ok, I run a Hope pro with no issues. Have a pro 2 (aluminium) and that is digging in with evena regular cassette

singlespeedstu

I got mine from here.

http://www.singleandfixed.com/

zaskar
    Free Member

Fu_manchoo is spot on.

I built my SS hack with LX whick had a steel freehub body and DMR or shimano downhill cog.

Aluminum body will die, steel should be ok.

Farticus

Cheers Stu. I can while away hours just looking at that site.

Farticus

XTR = Ti freehub I think. Won’t be steel (sadly).

zaskar
    Free Member

Use a Surly cog on the weaker hub body-it is wider than a normal cog and won’t chew it up too quick.

Farticus

Cheers all. Those Endless ones seem like the things I need (Ti is what I want, mind). Just need to find where from…

Farticus

Those ones from Holland look good too, but 89 Euros is quite a price! That or the Endless seem like the fattest and least likely to damage the freehub though.

Right, what’s going to happen to exchange rates?! Should I wait or buy now?

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Got a slightly lower spec On-One on mine and it’s got a nice wide base and they are only £15!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Chris King Alu cogs are nice and wide. Being aluminium, they don’t dig in as much as steel cogs and last much longer than you might expect.

samuri
    Free Member

My Hope pro is great, not had any issues with it in years and that’s with standard Shimano cogs.

Farticus

My old CK with steel freehub would have been great too but that got swapped in one of the periodic “let’s change everything for no good reason” moments. To be fair, XTR runs a lot smoother with less drag and hasn’t needed any more fettling than CK. I’ll not be changing unless I can get a WI eccentric hub, in which case I won’t need a cog.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which SS cog won’t knacker my hub?’ is closed to new replies.