Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which SS chain….
  • DrP

I've got a real cheapo KMC SS chain, that was about £7. It's rubbish! Seizes up all the time as it has no rust proofing.

What is the consensus on the best SS chain to use then? Don't want to spend more than £15. Was looking at the SRAM PC 7X Nickel Singlespeed one on CRC, but am open to suggestions….

DrP

nickc

Whatever size you chainring and sprocket is? I've never really bought into the whole specific "SS chain" thing, really anything (within reasonable off road proof'dness obviously) will do.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i got a cheap one from charlie the bike monger, its been faultless so far.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

KMC Kool chain.
    Got a plain one one the SS, and drilled and slotted on the BMX and track bikes. Mega stong, last for ages

mboy
    Free Member

Lube your chain once in a while? 😕

Jase
    Free Member

As above, if its seizing probably needs lubing.

I've used the KMC ones for years with no issues or rusting.

Jase
    Free Member

As above, if its seizing probably needs lubing.

I've used the KMC ones for years with no issues or rusting.

DrP

It's not rusted – it was rough as hell out of the packet…. Just seems really badly made. I've had other cheap(ish) chains before, but none this bad. Practically every 3rd link is stiff, and after 'un-cracking' them all, they all seize up again!

Might just get a £14 one from charlie!

DrP

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Izumi track chain? Nickel plated and it's a proper bush chain, so should last for ages. you can find them in 3/32 and 1/8.
    You'll be right in there with the girly jeaned fakengers too..

bassspine
    Free Member

I've got one of those BMX half-link chains, which helps when it comes to fine-tuning chain length.

speaker2animals

I've used SRAM on all my bikes for at least 10 years now. My SS has a SRAM unboxed that I got from Goldtec for £8 plus another quid for the Quick Link. Previous SS chain was a standard boxed SRAM. I have only ever had one chain break and that was years ago and didn't have a quick link.

sp
    Free Member

I found ½ link chains to be pants, same situ as the OP

Dibbs
    Free Member

Don't ask me I'm using a Dura-Ace 10 speed chain on my SS, after failing to follow my own "measure twice, cut once" advice 😳

rp16v
    Free Member

im using a kmx bmx chain the same one i run on all 5 of my bikes and never get problems unless unlubed.

Andy-R

KMC-610HX – less than a tenner and do the job for me.

allankelly

I've used SRAM PC-1 Nickel chains for years, but I've found them to be variable quality and I got a real duff one this time round. Not helped by moving from 16t BMX freewheel at 1/8" to 20t On-One sprocket at 3/32" for Puffer, and sticking with 1/8" chain which fell off on every lap at just the wrong moments, despite constant tensioning. Hence this picture (look carefully you can see the loose chain!)

So, I bought a 3/32" KMC Z610HX off Mr TheBikeMonger for £14.28 delivered and it's much better. Can't speak for longevity (yet) but Mr TBM says it's great and I believe him.
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/userimages/procart3.htm

Actually, I was completely knackered after Puffer and pressed the wrong button, ordered the 1/8" version. DOH! However the lovely Mr and Mrs TheBikeMonger replaced it for me right away, before they'd even received the other one back. And they gave me an extra link. Many thanks!

(BTW, you need to clean and re-lube a new chain. The gunk they come in is for long-term storage not long-term use.)

Cheers, al.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which SS chain….’ is closed to new replies.