Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Which "sport" would be the easiest to get an olympic place for?
  • choron
    Free Member

Shurely something like handball: team game, requires a big squad, and most importantly is incredibly unpopular in this country. There’d be next to no chance of a medal though…

loum
    Free Member

TBH, Choron’s almost certainly reasoning right.
    I guess the other approach would be to find the most exclusive sport, with the highest start up and training and equipment costs, and hope to be the best in the smallest group of possible participants.
    So boats, bikes, horses?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, handball, I reckon. Despite the Olympic “effect”, I can’t see it getting much more popular. Did anyone get to like it? I gave it a few tries at watching but tbh, I couldn’t really get into it. Despite our shit weather, we seem to be better at outdoor sports rather than indoor “court” stuff. (I realise that’s a bit of a generalisation if course)

porter_jamie

Hadge. Awesome.

keep your knickers on ffs. OP was, which sport is easiest to get a place for.

how many fat 42 year olds (like me) did you see doing athletics? Or rowing, or cycling, etc

There was an 8 month pregnant women doing air rifle shooting. This tells me you do not need to be in peak physical form to compete, or get a place, in shooting. You need to be able to point and stuff though.

So, i do think my suggestion is valid. Sorry. Also, you know nothing of what i have competed in.

So what is your suggestion?

lazybike
    Free Member

Need a horse, that’s capable of qualifying – so think +£100k min

😯 …. I bet the jockeys say its not about the horse.

alanl
    Free Member

Air rifle.
    Pretty cheap, so economically available to the majority of people (a decent gun starts at £600, each shot costs around 2 pence).
    You just need a wind free 10 metre by 1 metre space to practice.
    Not easy, but cheap to practice, and can be done at home if you have a long hallway.
    It takes loads of practice to get right, but is possible, and there are few others in this Country who do it to an International standard.

After that, air pistol shooting (a little cheaper to buy the gun, and less space needed to practice).Harder I think than the rifle. Could be easier for others.

I dont think there are many others events that can be done at such a low cost, by virtually anyone – 20 stone bloaters could fire a rifle, though of course, if you are fit, you wont wobble about as much!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@loum, not sure 3 years would be enough time to get proficient enough at boaty or horsey stuff. But, as we know, there are some effing awesome cyclists here so maybe, just maybe. Hmmm, then again, in three years…nah. 🙂

bwaarp
    Free Member

There was an 8 month pregnant women doing air rifle shooting. This tells me you do not need to be in peak physical form to compete, or get a place, in shooting. You need to be able to point and stuff though.

TBH shooting is much more of psychological sport, your state of mind really messes with how you perform – much more than any other sport I have participated in. It does require an immense amount of training – but less so in the short indoor disciplines.

You do have to be able to hold the rifle or support yourself in the shooting position without getting very fine juddering due to muscle fatigue though. Being able to do that requires a fair bit of training.

DavidB
    Free Member

Yeah but you can practise shooting on your night off at fairgrounds. Can’t do that with mtb.

Why isn’t Derren Brown in the team?

aracer
    Free Member

depends on how easily you reckon you can pass yourself off as a woman I suppose

Well it worked for <connection terminated>

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Which "sport" would be the easiest to get an olympic place for?’ is closed to new replies.