• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which Softshell?
  • keppoch

I want to buy my Dad a softshell jacket for Christmas.

The jacket is exclusively for cycling in; it doesn’t have to do anything else. Budget not critical but equally not looking to go bonkers.

His riding is a mix of road and mtb though in autumn/winter he tends to do more on the road.

Looking for something that is thicker than a jersey and suitable for wearing in drizzle or dampish conditions.

Gore Phantom seems like one option. Any other suggestions?

kennyp
    Free Member

His riding is a mix of road and mtb though in autumn/winter he tends to do more on the road.

Autumn, winter, road, MTB…………you do realise that’s a minimum of four different jackets? This is a cycling forum!! 🙂

scotroutes

Phantom is a good call, especially due to the removable sleeves. They do come up a bit bigger than most Gore stuff.

onewheelgood

I’ve got one of these and it’s brilliant. Other designs are available.

keppoch

The other designs… are they a bit more erm…. subtle? He is 70.

As to the multiple jackets requirement all he has a the minute is a waterproof and he rides 12 months a year. One more warm one will help a lot.

onewheelgood

Only 14 years older than me then. Actually, that’s probably one of the more subtle ones. I’ve also got a ten year old one in this design that’s still going strong

See them all at http://www.foska.com/cycling-jackets/toastie/mens-toastie/

fathomer

I had an Endura Windchill for my birthday in September and really like it. I actually think I prefer it to my Phantom, though the Phantom is 5 years old and starting to feel it.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d say look for one that’s not too thick, not too baggy and maybe has rear pockets like a road jersey.

My latest softshell (Aldi if you must know) has these and they are SO useful.

keppoch

Well the Endura one certainly seems to hit a number of those points.

iainc

Another Endura Windchill fan here. I also have a Stealth, but opt for Windchill unless its really cold and wet.

keppoch

Any final recommendations from the commuting daytime forum before I press buy on an Endura Windchill?

cinnamon_girl

Check out Madison for quality.

flashpaul
    Free Member

Altura attack 360 from Rutland Cycles
    Bargain at £30

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The decathlon ones are really quite nice and understated if you can get past the brand snobbery

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/520-warm-cycling-jacket-blue-id_8343081.html

Available in non Team-Sky colors too.

iainc

another lowish cost option is the one from tenn outdoors :

this one

if it’s anything like their shorts it will be functional, effective and good value

keppoch

Thanks, that Tenn Outdoors site looks to have some good stuff at good prices.

iainc

^^^^ yeah, I got their waterproof shorts on back of another thread and they seem pretty good, although the guy says on the thread they are bringing out ones with more seat reinforcement in the New Yr following feedback.

I’m getting that top to see how it compares to my Windchill – better colour for road use too !

fionap

I’ve got an email code for a further 20% off winter jackets at Evans – let me know if that would be useful.

johnhe

I bought an Endura Convert. I would recommend the Gore version. I love the ability to zip the arms off – it means I can use in just about any weather except no-ending, day-long downpours. So no good this year so far, but every other year it’s been brilliant.

benp1

Your dad rides all year round and only has a waterproof jacket as his extra layer?

Gore Phantom is good, mine was nice on my commute this morning. Craft version is nice too, warmer, not convertible, but cheaper and in some ways the fit is better on the bike

FOG

Another vote for the Gore Phantom. It’s the only thing I wear from Nov. to March with a waterproof shell if raining [ok pedants I do wear other things as well!] They are quite pricey though, I got mine at a closing down sale very cheap a few years ago. I also have a Madison waterproof soft shell which is excellent but tends to get used mainly for mtb cos it has a hood and I don’t want to filthify the Phantom.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which Softshell?’ is closed to new replies.