Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which smartphone for a 70YO?
  • vorlich
    Free Member

Dad has decided he wants a smartphone and is going to use up his clubcard vouchers to get it. He’s come to me with 2 options:

Nokia Lumia 630 or Samsung Galaxy Trend plus. I’ve got an iPhone so don’t really know much about them, other than that I hate the GFs samsung. The Nokia hardware looks nicer, but I’ve no idea what the software is like. Any ideas?

matt_outandabout

None.
    He should be out speaking to his little pals and learning the social skills and physical literacy for life.

vorlich
    Free Member

He’s probably only got another 10-15 years left if I’m brutally honest. 😆

Three_Fish
    Free Member

He should be out speaking to his little pals and learning the social skills and physical literacy for life.

Literacy, as in how to read?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

vorlich
    Free Member

Aaaanyway…

Anyone?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Oh, the ironing! 😀

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Lol, I initially thought that said 7 year old, just after I’d read it as Yoyo 😳

tinribz
    Free Member

Thought this was what iPhones were designed for.

ourmaninthenorth

The answer is a brand you’ve never heard of, but is specifically aimed at the over 65 market: Doro.

Often available in Tesco.

Have excellent features (incl ability to give you remote control of his phone to help solve problems).

tron
    Free Member

We get the Lumia 635 as a pool phone at work. The battery life is nice, the windows phone stuff is a bit meh. No idea if the selection of apps is any good. I did see an old geezer using one of the bookie’s apps in the pubs the other day, so it might be more relevant than you’d think. I find the keyboard frustrating – not sure if you can get Swiftkey for it. Otherwise, it’s alright.

The cheaper Galaxy phones are usually a bit sluggish.

I would suggest getting something like a second hand Galaxy S3 or iPhone that hasn’t been updated to the new iOS would be more sensible than getting a dirt cheap new smartphone. My Mum had a series of slow as **** phones which she could never get used to. Which isn’t really surprising when there’s several seconds lag between each button press / screen tap and the actual result. Makes it almost impossible to work out what’s going on.

ChrisL

My mum got an iPhone for her 70th birthday and liked it so much that she got an iPad to complement it the next Christmas.

vorlich
    Free Member

He won’t fork out iphone money for himself, my mum loves her iPad though. That Doro sounds interesting, but the latest android one seems expensive.

I’ll drop by a phone shop and see if I can try either of them.

matt_outandabout

😳

I just re-read.
    The penny drops.

😳

scaredypants

my parents have an old android phone of mine with a reasonably big screen (orange montecarlo).

I found a launcher that is deliberately simple, with a few big icons per page.

They like it but barely ever use it. Makes me feel better that they take it in the car though (has an AA icon on the main page among other bits).

😀 matt_oaP

convert

I just re-read.

To be fair I’d say read properly for the first time would be more accurate! 😀

One of the more amusing first responses to a post I’ve read in a long time….imagining old codger with friends described as ‘little pals’ 🙂

vorlich
    Free Member

Well, due to his white beardiness, he has been enlisted as Santa for some upcoming events. 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which smartphone for a 70YO?’ is closed to new replies.