Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Which small sporty (200+bhp) car?
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

Mazda MPS is a good, fairly sensible choice.
    Honda Type-R is the purists choice
    Megane Renaultsport are really great cars to drive

Mini, Focus, Astra, Alfa and loads of others all have similar cars, plenty to choose from.
    RX-8 is potentially brilliant, but they don’t like short journeys. You have to warm them up, otherwise it might not restart when you try to. If you never do short journeys its fine. Really need to be revved to be quick though.

midlifecrashes

Merc SLK, a 320 in a MK1 or whatever you can get for your money in a MK2. Fast, more of a cruiser than a pocket rocket though.

convert

“Fast” is such a catch all term though- fast high speed cruiser, fast off the line push you back in your seat, fast around the corners….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bradley
    Free Member

Fast is very vague though but I never said fast lol. Any small car with 200+bhp is gonna thump you back in your seat and accelerate nicely out of corners, same as the Mini. The Minis issue is it’s a 160bhp car but with an extra 50bhp, nothing else upgraded it seems. Gearbox isn’t very nice, brakes are poor, run flats are awful grip!

My mum is going to look at an Audi TT 2003 plate with 66K miles tomorrow for £5500 with ‘all the extras’ and I think has every intention of buying it, shame because I emailed her an 05 350Z with 57K miles and some ‘extras’ that looked really nice for £4250!? HELLO??????????

Thanks guys, I will probably update you all later this afternoon after she comes round with dad to show me the new TT -.-

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Skyline?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

£6k won’t get you an R34 GTR…

convert

but I never said fast lol.

Err, yes you did.

not fast enough basically.

Horribly patronising I know but maybe a TT is the right car for her. MK1 TT is imo a bit of design classic, plenty of grunt (so is very “fast” in that respect) and feel like a sports car inside. The fact that it is not the last word in cornering might not be an issue for a middle aged lady…..who probably won’t driving it like too much of a nutter or take is to track days etc. It’s got a nice middle aged friendly badge – all good.

bradley
    Free Member

My apologies convert. She wanted something sporty/quick/small so I guess a TT fits into this category but I know for a fact it’s her badge snobbery not allowing her to get into the Nissan or Honda 🙁 350Z seems a much better buy.

Oh well I’m sure I’ll still get a go in whatever it is for an hour or so :p

hora
    Free Member

Clio 197
    500 Arbath

King-ocelot
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Clio 197
    500 Arbath
    POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO #

500 Abarth with 200bhp+ for £6k?

Sandwich

Audi A[b]S[/b]3 sport

stevied
    Free Member

Alfa GTA:

docrobster
    Free Member

I had an RX8 231bhp for exactly a year.
    Enjoyed driving it. Handled superbly on B roads etc.
    It was 57 plate bought from a main dealer with less than 40k on the clock for a Smidge over £6k in August 2011. Lost £3k p/x a year later with 48k miles.
    Only let me down once due to a flat battery. Commuted daily, short journeys, long journeys no worries.
    Got rid cos I needed something more practical and 17mpg is not a long term proposition.
    And £475 tax.
    Having said all that I enjoyed owning and driving my 1.7 puma more. Kept that for 8 years. Able to be driven at 90% regularly without worries. 120bhp/ton is quick enough for the public road IMO.
    Cars like the ones in this thread need track days to do them justice.

alanw2007

Impreza WRX or mk1 STI?
    Pretty compact epsecially the mk1s and certainly sporty. Thirsty though.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Ooh Clio v6, very nice. Don’t they try to kill you every
    time you drive them though?

bwaarp
    Free Member

2nd hand Elise?

beicmynydd
    Free Member

How about an Audi s3 mk1 you should be able to get one for less than 6 k, 210 bhp Quattro recaros etc a lot nicer and more practical than a tt. You can also chip it to over 250 bhp
    Not as involving a Subaru but a nice quick car

martinxyz
    Free Member

I’m not sure how a Skyline or an Impreza fits into the small car category. The only thing I can think of that matches what you ask for is a clio 197, give or take a few bhp. With whatever exhaust is the best bet for an extra 10hp or so, surely this is what has to be on the shortlist? It’ll possibly come with an uprated exhaust and also a few other subtle tweaks I would have thought.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Interesting how peoples thoughts vary. I have had the disappointment of driving a Clio 192 Sport, the most disappointing hot hatch ever for me.
    The Mazda 3 MPS is a good shout but a real handfull in the wet and they eat front tyres. They dont take the miles or age very well in my opinion.
    Focus ST, nice easy to drive fast car. Seat Leon FR likewise. Volvo C30 T5 R design is a lovely smooth car let down by its miniscule boot.
    Based on availability on your budget Focus ST or Seat Leon (maybe even a Cupra).
    For me I think I would favour…..Aerial Atom too 😛

DaveP

Leon Cupra
    BMW 130i
    350z

santacruzsi
    Free Member

RX-8s cost the price of a kidney to Tax, in excess of £400!

Someone already said that above ^^

legend
    Free Member

Suggsey – Member
    I have had the disappointment of driving a Clio 192 Sport

understandable, you should try a 182 or a 197 instead 😉

Having actually now read the OP properly (a rarity on STW) I see the car is for Mum – chances of influence are approximately zero.

johndoh
    Free Member

The Mazda 3 MPS is a good shout but a real handfull in the wet and they eat front tyres

I bet they do – we have the 2.0l Sport (just 150bhp) and that gets through a set of fronts in about 12k – and that is with pretty careful driving. Apparently it is an inherent fault due to the suspension set-up. Another thing to watch with the Mazda (around 2006-08) is DSC faults – it is well documented but Mazda have refused to repair under warranty. It cost us about £1200 to have ours repaired/upgraded.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Which small sporty (200+bhp) car?’ is closed to new replies.